DEPO Lights with a Slee Harness (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Awesome results. Have my Depos and DDM projector goodies sitting in my garage waiting...

Agreed, thanks.

Lol, it took me a year and a half to get this wrapped up...

Special thanks, to @Brentbba who let me come over and look at his factory headlight wiring harness to get it all straightened out.

And, again to @thedoughboy for figuring out the relays.

This is what I found when I went to plug in the new Slee harness:

20160503_220513.jpg

Thx @FJRanger . I'm glad everything worked out for you. I like the LED look but was concerned about the light scatter. From your photos it looks like the DEPOs have a sufficient cut-off lens to handle the increased light output.

Additionally, the Lifetime H4 I received were the less expensive/output option they sell. They're still pricey, however I'd feel comfortable (if $ wasn't an issue) running the higher output due to the fact that the DEPO cut is so exact.

Last edited:
OK. Take this for what it is...Without being there, testing with voltmeter blah, blah, blah I can't say for certain. Be sure to TEST everything. However, looking at the picture you posted and assuming this:

H4 Connector:
Brown = Ground
Yellow = 12 v +
H1 Connector:
Brown = Ground
White = 12 v +
  1. Cut the yellow wire on the H4 connector. Run the light switch side directly to #30 on relay. Run a wire from #87a on relay back to the plug side of the H4 connector. You will basically insert the relay between the two sides of the yellow wire.
  2. Run a wire from #87 on the relay back to the high beam filament of the H4 connector. It looks like you will need to source this part. In all honesty, you may just want to pick up some H4 connectors with all 3 wires already connected. Your choice.
  3. Splice, but do not cut, a wire from the white wire on the H1 connector to #86 on relay. This will trigger the relay to toggle between the low and high filament of the H4 bulb. When this is charge (by turning on your high beams) the connection switches from 87a to 87 on the relay.
I hope this helps. Let us know how it turns out! I am road tripping tomorrow so I will most likely be out of touch.

View attachment 1166514

Just a few months later I got around to doing the connections.

Something is not right here. The low beam does not light up (second filament) when I activate the high beams. Low and high beams work just fine as before the relay install. It's just that the H4 stays constant, one filament.
Did I get this wrong from the beginning? Are the two filaments on all the time?

I guess my reluctance in not cutting and/or splicing wires paid off. I can always go back to the previous setup without any wire hacks.

If I did not follow the instructions correctly, would it still work as intended? On high beam H4 on (one filament), H1 on?

Or could it be I don't have a second filament on the H4? Could the H4 bulb come in single filament configuration?

Just a few months later I got around to doing the connections.

Something is not right here. The low beam does not light up (second filament) when I activate the high beams. Low and high beams work just fine as before the relay install. It's just that the H4 stays constant, one filament.
Did I get this wrong from the beginning? Are the two filaments on all the time?

I guess my reluctance in not cutting and/or splicing wires paid off. I can always go back to the previous setup without any wire hacks.

If I did not follow the instructions correctly, would it still work as intended? On high beam H4 on (one filament), H1 on?

Or could it be I don't have a second filament on the H4? Could the H4 bulb come in single filament configuration?

What exactly is happening with your lights, are they working at all, just hi beams or just low beams... both on all the time?

edit... just re-read, now thinking..

I hope I followed everything correctly.

Highs and lows work just fine, but only as before.
I only did on side. I don't think that affects the performance.

The second filament on the H4 does not come on, as far as I can tell.

2016-07-21.jpg

2016-07-38.jpg

Some how your missing the switch to activating the H4 hi filament in the relay. I'll have to compare my notes to yours, however it going to have to wait as I just got called back to work:bang:

There shouldn't be. Just make sure there are no shorts.

It looks as if everything works, just not the H4 high filament.
Either I cannot see it light up, the transition from H4 low to H4 high being so fast an imperceptible to me or the relay does not work.

My next question is if there is a faulty relay, would the low and high beam work in a a normal fashion, just the H4 high not doing it's job?

A faulty relay should be very easy to check if you have spares laying around.

When I tested mine I checked one side first while it was mounted in the 80; even in the day light the switch from low to high was very noticeable.

Yes, I have one more for the other side.
I'll check the second one to see if it make any difference. Maybe it's not switching internally.

I tried a different one and there is no difference between them.
Not sure if I just got a bad batch of relays and if bad ones would still be able to operate, but not be able to switch between 87 and 87a.

2016-07-19-jpg.1284684

I am assuming this is your H4 bulb. Just to make sure we are on the same page.

The brown, unmolested wire, is your common ground. You did not have to do anything to this wire.
The Red/White stripe is your low beam filament connected to 87a on the relay.
The Yellow/Green Stripe is your high beam filament connected to 87 on the relay.

Can you verify this?

I'll have to take a look at it tomorrow on daylight. I am not home right now anyway.
I'll let you know.
Thanks.

It looks like (going back to the pics) the brown wire was left untouched.

The picture of the relay may not come out clear. I can barely see the markings on it.
I'll draw some arrows for clarity

I think it would be better if I take it out and take some more pictures of it from different angles and show the relay too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom