DEPO Lights with a Slee Harness (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Do you have a multi-meter? If so, have you checked your blue "trigger wire" connected to 86 on the relay? Is this registering +12 V when your high beam switch is activated?

From your pictures it looks like this wire is spliced at the connector, not physically spliced into the wire. If this is not registering +12 V when your highs are engaged this is the problem. The relay would not be activated. Sorry it you have already done this but I am just getting familiar with your situation.

Here is a picture of my relay.

2016-07-16 11.13.36.jpg

Just got back from the car. The blue wire is dead when the high beams are on.

That is most likely the culprit. If the blue wire is not +12 V when your highs are activated the relay will not do anything. I am not sure how you spliced into the connector but I would recommend splicing directly into the white wire on the H1 connector. Assuming, the white wire is the +12 V when your high beam switch is activated.

The good news is this is a quick fix! I hope this solves your issue.

Thanks.

I'll check the brown one to see if it is the ground wire as we thought.
If it is, then the white one is due for surgery.

Confused now.
Maybe the first time I did not get the multimeter red wire in contact with the blue or 86.

I checked at the relay touching number 86 (blue wire) going in. 12V.

Could it simply be my perception of not having the 2nd filament light up?
Could it be the light bulb itself?

I think there is only one thing left to do, check the 2nd filament wire if it receives any voltage.

OK, just so I am clear, when the high beam switch is activated the blue wire is sending +12V to 86 on the relay?

If this is the case, put on some dark sunglasses and watch the high beam filament of the H4 bulb. It should be pretty obvious that it is not charged when on low beams and charged when on high beams.

Just for reference:
h4wtext-jpg.1002200

I further checked the voltage on the yellow wire which goes to 87. 1V. No typo. One Volt.

Is this OK, not OK?

No matter if Hi or Lo beam on, yellow shows 1V and the red 12V.

Yellow = 87
Red = 87a

OK. Take this for what it is...Without being there, testing with voltmeter blah, blah, blah I can't say for certain. Be sure to TEST everything. However, looking at the picture you posted and assuming this:

H4 Connector:
Brown = Ground
Yellow = 12 v +
H1 Connector:
Brown = Ground
White = 12 v +
  1. Cut the yellow wire on the H4 connector. Run the light switch side directly to #30 on relay. Run a wire from #87a on relay back to the plug side of the H4 connector. You will basically insert the relay between the two sides of the yellow wire.
  2. Run a wire from #87 on the relay back to the high beam filament of the H4 connector. It looks like you will need to source this part. In all honesty, you may just want to pick up some H4 connectors with all 3 wires already connected. Your choice.
  3. Splice, but do not cut, a wire from the white wire on the H1 connector to #86 on relay. This will trigger the relay to toggle between the low and high filament of the H4 bulb. When this is charge (by turning on your high beams) the connection switches from 87a to 87 on the relay.
I hope this helps. Let us know how it turns out! I am road tripping tomorrow so I will most likely be out of touch.

View attachment 1166514

I think I found the problem here.

In the picture attached, the Yellow wire is the Ground wire.
The Brown wire is the 12V wire.

At number 1, it says "Cut the yellow wire on the H4 connector. Run the light switch side directly to #30 on relay."

It should be the Brown wire instead.

30 on the relay needs 12V correct?
It gets 1V somehow, instead of 12V.

Make sure your multi-meter is grounded properly. Assuming it is, this is how it should work. If you can verify this we can diagnose it further.

------------------------------
Low Beams:
30 should have +12V
87a should have +12V

87 should have nothing
86 should have nothing

---------------
High Beams:
30 should have +12V
87 should have +12V
86 should have +12V

87a should have nothing

-------------------------------

I think I found the problem here.

In the picture attached, the Yellow wire is the Ground wire.
The Brown wire is the 12V wire.

At number 1, it says "Cut the yellow wire on the H4 connector. Run the light switch side directly to #30 on relay."

It should be the Brown wire instead.

30 on the relay needs 12V correct?
It gets 1V somehow, instead of 12V.

Yes, I assumed the Yellow was +12V for the low beams. If it is the ground you have found the problem!

I pretty much managed to screw it all up.
I got yellow dim lights now.
A short somewhere I guess.
Took it all apart, went back to the simple Innovative harness, no difference. Something went bad.

Video to follow.

Yes, with the multimeter the Brown would show 12V and the Yellow 1V.
Then, Bam! A blown fuse after I played with it for a while. It worked just as before initially, then after some more probing with the voltmeter, got a blown fuse.

Please tell us you're using legit fuses and not cheap knockoffs as they've been known to cause cars to burn to the ground.

Normally 85 and 86 don't matter polarity wise, which way the current runs, UNLESS they have a tamping diode in the coil, in which case I think you do since you're blowing fuses and seeing 1v where you should be seeing 12v on the output side.
check this link out, I think it will sort things out in your thinking.
Relay Basics

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom