Wanted Denver: FJ60 shifter boot (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CruiserTrash

Supporting Vendor
GOLD Star
Threads
Website
cruisertrashparts.com
Vehicle Model
  1. 60 Series
I did an oops and tore the boot for my transmission shift lever. My truck is a 1982 FJ60. Anybody out there got one for an early truck? Would prefer it ASAP as I daily this thing and the noise in the cab is extra loud with the 1” hole!

7E697044-193B-4F5B-859E-95671D99794E.jpeg

EDIT: This thread turned into a tech discussion. For other folks seeing this for the first time I still just need an intact main boot for an early 60. It’s circled in green in the photo below. I do not need the red part. I do not need any inner pieces or the metal ring.

98874C7C-5B4C-4DDE-90F1-FF3188A0C0C2.jpeg

For clarification this is the piece that ripped off the top of the main boot:

5F424E44-BC68-4591-A44A-2546AB3373D3.jpeg

Last edited:
assuming you are missing the inner boot also?
do you need them both?

assuming you are missing the inner boot also?
do you need them both?
I have the small inner rubber boot that goes over the top of the hole if that’s what you mean. Unless there’s a third one.

Here’s the inner one I have, available new from Toyota:
341B5757-4CC4-4378-B402-797790A28960.jpeg

Is you boot a single piece or was there a small piece on the top?
Believe these are the three transmission bolts used across the top. Do not believe the early one on the left had an inner boot. The other two do.
IMG_20180927_100205416.jpg

Is you boot a single piece or was there a small piece on the top?
Believe these are the three transmission bolts used across the top. Do not believe the early one on the left had an inner boot. The other two do.
View attachment 3585067
Thanks for the visual. Mine does match the top left. It did not have an inner boot when I took things apart (aside from the one that caps the shifter hole on the transmission lid), but I could tell somebody had been in there before. I don’t see one on the parts diagram, but sometimes those are more of a generic reference and lack specifics. Rare, but I’ve seen it.

I also have a separate small rubber piece that sits above the boot. I think that’s the other piece you asked about. It does appear to be a separate piece, it doesn’t look like it was torn off of the boot below it, although maybe it just came apart so cleanly they look separate.
640DA238-4BC2-4778-978C-F62956B9493F.jpeg

At this point a boot like the one visible in the photo - but without a hole - would be a huge improvement, inner boot or not.

I have the small inner rubber boot that goes over the top of the hole if that’s what you mean. Unless there’s a third one.

Here’s the inner one I have, available new from Toyota:
View attachment 3585031

I'll get pics of mine when I get home tonight
I was thinking it is a full boot, upside down from what you tore, minus the bellows, bolted down thru the bolt rim with the top boot.

I'll get pics of mine when I get home tonight
I was thinking it is a full boot, upside down from what you tore, minus the bellows, bolted down thru the bolt rim with the top boot.
Very interesting. I'd love to see that!

I do have one minus the top piece that has a tear but complete. Could glue the tear after it's installed and then slip the top piece on. Probably cheap to mail from AZ. I wouldn't sell it but it because of the rear. Believe came with an early shifter. Will let go for the cost to mail. I can get a picture of your would like.

I would be interested myself Paul to see the earlier one that isn't two piece. I've collected some boots ever the years and never seen that one.
PXL_20230426_195455532.jpg

Not looking to buy. Probably picked my complete one up back in the nineties. Not sure if FJ60 are being restored to original like the 40 series but that's where that one belongs.

Believe if you removed the boot and put some rubber glued around the rip on the inside would help strengthen the area from ripping again.

@Living in the Past

So the “top” piece is separate - it has a part number inside and it has a groove so the top of the boot can be inserted into it.

1C2BFCD1-D09A-4BA1-8BAE-3425E8CB04ED.jpeg

CE795B95-FF1C-4AED-8EFD-6555336CEF3E.jpeg

A9F0308F-7616-441A-AB0C-6C2D78299E71.jpeg

This is the part I most need, but I would like one that’s intact. I’m calling this the “boot”:
0382312B-23E9-42D7-9785-B842ACB9A12C.jpeg

Here you can see how the top of the boot fits into the the groove in the smaller piece above it. I have the piece above it and don’t need that.
3E59E839-8C47-4CA2-9DD1-C19704AF160B.jpeg

I think John is correct, I don't have any early boots left to check, mid range boots have an inner boot.
the inner boot is stapled to the upper boot in 2 places
early version has the round hole cover and the transfer has a 5 bolt boot
mid range has a large square opening and the transfer is a 4 bolt setup with a larger hole
there is 1 bolt hole in the cover that doesn't match

DSCF5584.JPG

DSCF5585.JPG

DSCF5586.JPG

DSCF5587.JPG

DSCF5588.JPG

the transfer boots had inners, both early and late
the early version has a 5 bolt ring and just a flap with an "L" cutout for the shifter
the mid range version has a 4 bolt ring and it has a larger inner

DSCF5589.JPG

DSCF5590.JPG

DSCF5591.JPG

DSCF5592.JPG

DSCF5593.JPG

@3_puppies I definitely have the tunnel cover with the round cutout for the transmission shift lever and the 5-bolt transfer shift lever boot. I do have the inner and out Lee for the transfer lever.

Still just need the main boot for the transmission shift lever on the early 60s.

unfortunately, I can't help with the early boot
GLWTS

Only found the one with a tear and it appears to have the staple and part of what appears to be a inner boot.

My transfer boot has the same piece the the L pattern. Could be at least thirty years or more since I pulled it off a FJ60 inner a wrecking yard. Really want the shift cane but it came apart while still pulling it and just left. I've never owned a FJ60. Wanted it for a FJ40. Unfortunately when I pulled a couple shift canes a little later I didn't know the difference between the 3F bellhousing and the earlier bellhousing. Still searching for an early one.

I figured I had mid and late inspect covers. This confirms it.
IMG_20180927_100024779.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom