Delusional About My Oil Pump? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm having issues whit my oil pressure. After engine/oil warm up everything runs fine and I have decent oil pressure until I stop. While the engine idles the pressure drops and won't rise again until I rev the engine.

I'm looking at replacing the oil pump. Can't I access it by just dropping the oil pan? I've had a couple of people tell me I'll have to pull the engine to do this.

Any hints or advice would be welcome.

In my limited experience, as an engine gets old it will act that way, just an accumulative of parts wearing.

Any hints or advice would be welcome.
Sorry I’m little or no help on removing the Toyota oil pump with the engine in or out but I would check a few thing first. If you’re reading the factory gauge then I would get a cheap manual gauge and confirm the factory numbers. If your pressure is low at idle I would run a thicker viscosity oil and see if your numbers come up to an acceptable number.

It’s not unheard of but oil pumps rarely $hit the bed and only produce low pressure at idle, low pressure at idle is usually associated with a combination of excessive oil clearance on the engine bearings and pump gears. Just replacing the pump alone without checking the engine components to find the root cause could potently set you up for an expensive repair later.

Last edited:
I agree with @J Mack . Wouldn't trust factory sending unit or gage.Trying cleaning connections. Start with simple stuff 1st. My 80 series did the same on synthetic with 260,000 on it. Probably not an issue at all. And try rmote oil gage and see what it is.

When I first got the pig I never had oil pressure problems. One day she stalled and backfired hard because of a bad vacuum hose going from the EGR valve to the carb. Ever since then the oil pressure has been flucky. Maybe it did something to the sending unit. I'll check it out.

stop. does it run OK?
does it make alot of noise?
do you know a pressure value to equate LO to?

my old dash gauge says the same... about half - which is really meant to be the LO end of OK with some rpm - when running at speed, but lo lo at lo hot idle at a stop light...it gives me the creeps, but stupid is as stupid does, and the motor aint broke yet...I am not going to panic switch till I get a real PSI value to compare things to...

at the same time as my oil pressure looks lo, so does my temp, which makes me thinks that maybe just maybe they'sa voltage issue going on in the 41 YO instrument and wiring...

what I'm tryin to say is, get a real gauge

Just as a comparison mine reads high always..
20180319_134447.jpg

dang it, Bob; you're blowin my theory...

dang it, Bob; you're blowin my theory...
Nope still solid theory, never bet your time and money on a 40+ year old factory oil gauge.

Auto parts stores sell cheap oil gauges for around $10, find an oil port and ziptie it to a convenient spot until you can confirm your factory gauge is at least in the ballpark. Ten bucks and ten minutes should help you sleep better or let you know you have bigger issues than the factory gauge.

the worst part is the dang mechanical gauge has been on the bench for three years...

the dang mechanical gauge has been on the bench for three years
It’s like group therapy, we start talking about Swamp’s oil gauge and motivate you to clean off your bench, it’s a good day down here in the sty!

Speaking of motivation I need to stop playing on the computer and go Cerakote a grill and wire a dash, thanks Swampy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom