Delta VS Rear Bumper Review (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Short version, I’ve had the bumper for only 5 days now and I couldn’t be more pleased.

As I understand it aside from mock-ups/testers mine is the first complete one made and sold to the public. Aside from being gung-ho from the moment I saw pics of the bumper in Delta’s Overland West thread (and repeatedly asking when I could throw money at them) I might have got first dibs because I was going to Overland East and could show it off for them a little. Unfortunately Overland East was an epic disaster. Read my recent posts here on Mud and check out their Facebook page and other social media sites if you’re curious. Seriously I bet they have to refund hundreds of people their money back. Anyway, back to the bumper...

Only a couple of installation pics because my buddy started working on it before I got off work and we were on a time crunch for leaving the next morning for Asheville.
upload_2018-11-12_19-21-20.jpeg

He’s a certified Toyota/Lexus master mechanic, big Land Cruiser builder and fabricates some of his own stuff too. He’s not easily impressed either but had nothing but great things to say about the bumper. In fact when we got the first swingout latch completed and locked it in he looked at it for a minute and said “THAT...is bad ass!” I don’t think I’ve ever heard him give such praise :)
upload_2018-11-12_19-23-18.jpeg

upload_2018-11-12_19-24-45.jpeg

Installation went great. The instructions seem clear and with good pictures but honestly my friend just kind of winged it cause he knows what he’s doing so I can’t say much else about the directions.
But if it can be done without using the instructions at all it can’t be too difficult.

The components are beefy as heck and well made with very narrow tolerances. It’s clear that A LOT of thought went into how this thing is shaped and fits on the frame. Everything clicks and connects so snugly, its really satisfying. The fact that it sits on solid supports in the midline on top of having the usual swingout posts was a huge reason I knew I had to have this thing.
upload_2018-11-12_19-42-47.jpeg

Other bumpers just have a latch in the middle so the outside posts have to support the whole hanging weight by itself. Over time this leads to flex and loosening of the swingout, often to the point of having to lift the end of the swingout to get it onto the bumper where it is supposed to sit. They often squeak like crazy too. I can’t imagine there will ever be any issues like that with Delta’s setup. They totally solved the problem.

The fact that you don’t have to cut the frame was awesome and I can’t get over how snug it fits with so little overhang. Most no-cut bumpers stick out like butts in a Sir Mix-A-Lot video.
upload_2018-11-12_19-43-16.jpeg

More to come in a few minutes...

upload_2018-11-12_19-54-3.jpeg

The posts are huge and probably over-engineered considering they don’t even have to support as much weight with the middle supports doing their jobs.

upload_2018-11-12_19-54-27.jpeg

upload_2018-11-12_19-57-17.jpeg

This mechanism is so awesome you really have to play with it in person to fully appreciate it. It holds tight as a drum but doesn’t require muscling it to open. Seriously, a child could unlock it.

More details showing how well made and designed it is...
upload_2018-11-12_19-57-57.jpeg

upload_2018-11-12_19-59-1.jpeg

A few more pics. Next on deck is cutting up the exhaust. Got a rattle in the catalytic converter and going to route it up over the frame and tuck the muffler up higher. With this new bumper the break over points are much higher so now the exhaust is WAY to low down there by itself!
upload_2018-11-12_20-7-38.jpeg

upload_2018-11-12_20-8-16.jpeg

upload_2018-11-12_20-8-38.jpeg

upload_2018-11-12_20-9-0.jpeg

upload_2018-11-12_20-9-21.jpeg

I gotta say I’m happy as heck to have this thing on my rig. I can’t imagine there’s a better rear bumper out there for sale. Working with the company was excellent with lots of communication and quick responses to questions too. Thanks Delta!

Any idea on how much that thing weights? I’m really liking the design.

Ask any flex on the spare holder if you try to rock it?

Also any light and camera mounts?

If I remember right it’s somewhere around 175-200lbs plus whatever you hang off it of course. Pretty par for the course for bumpers.

There is absolutely NO flex on any part of it. We mounted it, drove it 10 hours total to Asheville and back and I figured I’d have to tighten something but nope, solid as a rock.

The light question reminded me of an important point. The swingouts are flat with lots of bolt holes on purpose to allow for mounting of whatever you want, practically wherever you want. They said they are going to release the specs so anyone who wants to fabricate their own mounts for particular things can do so. Pretty cool.
They’ll also be selling their own mounts in the future like a basket for jerry cans but those aren’t available yet (or I’d have one :)

Looks great! Do you get option of what side you want the tire mounted on?

Looks a lot better than I originally thought...very clean design! I especially like the footholds on the side. Makes loading the roof rack much easier!

Wow...looks incredible.

I wasn’t a fan when I saw the bumper in Delta sneak peak thread. Seeing it on your cruiser changed my mind. It looks great.

Looks great! Do you get option of what side you want the tire mounted on?

I should have gotten a pic of the tire mount before I put it on. It’s a totally separate piece that mounts onto the base swingout. Without the tire mount it looks exactly like the passenger side. You can mount it either side and even move it few inches to the right or left, just using different bolt holes. It’s all very modular that way. Another thread of Delta’s shows two tires mounted, one on each side.

Wow that thing is nice! That step built in is really nice

This is the best looking and possibly the best thought out bumper I have ever seen. I've love to get a little more detail on the latches that hold the bumper closed.... @boogiebones Could you take a quick video of unlatching, swinging open, swinging closed and latching? I just can't quite visualize how that system works.

Looks great. Is there an opportunity for an integrated receiver hitch or would one have to use the factory hitch?

They’ve stated a couple times there will not be a hitch option due to liability reasons. But you can still retain your hitch from my understanding.

They’ve stated a couple times there will not be a hitch option due to liability reasons. But you can still retain your hitch from my understanding.

But you lose all your increased departure angle by retaining the stock hitch, which is too bad.

Very nice, well thought out bumper otherwise, looks great!

Well done!

How do you start the order process for that bumper?

devo

Saw their preview thread and emailed them directly through their website. Had some discussions and set it up but they are not taking regular orders yet. Last I saw they are planning on having orders for the rear up and running before Christmas.

But you lose all your increased departure angle by retaining the stock hitch, which is too bad.

Very nice, well thought out bumper otherwise, looks great!

Just to point out, other bumpers may have a hitch but aren’t rated to tow, either. From a liability standpoint, they’re all passing the buck onto the owners of the bumper. (Advantage goes to the incorporated hitches for “off road use only”). Since it’s probably not the right place to discuss “other bumpers” capacity, even tho not rated, I won’t.

To the guys over at Delta, this is probably the most well thought 80 series bumper that I’ve seen. The craftsmanship, attention to detail, fab skills, and communication skills of your team are second to none. If I had the coin, it’d be hard to not buy this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom