Decent/good canned Chili? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woytovich

Science...
SILVER Star
Threads
Is there a brand of canned chili that is, dare I say, good? I'm not expecting as good as home-made but something that isn't revolting. I just tried Campbells and it is... not good.

Stag is pretty good stuff.

Mark, donutfj80 BEAT ME!!

Been eating this for 30 plus years.. In a hurry it is the best.. They have several varieties now, but I still go to the regular w/beans or no beans pending the mood.

:princess: likes the turkey version.. (ssshhh!! I think its the same as the original... HA!)

J

Last edited:
don't remember the brand but Costco had some great stuff a while back. Much meatier than most other cans I thought.

I've had wolf brand many times, it's never changed and is decent. Tons of sodium though in the regular. I'll have to try the costco brand.

Really? I tried Stag once and it tasted like sweet spaghetti sauce.. Different strokes...

J

They have a bunch of different varieties, some I really like, others not so much. Unlike a lot of canned chili, Stag actually has veggies that can be identified. A lot of canned chili looks like dog food. I usually doctor mine with fresh chilies and onions or chives. It's not so sweet when I get done with it.

^I just looked this up, appears to be a Hormel product. I wonder is there is a high end canned chili out there. One could probably sell a organic/gluten free/ all natural canned chili for $10 a can nowadays.

^I just looked this up, appears to be a Hormel product. I wonder is there is a high end canned chili out there. One could probably sell a organic/gluten free/ all natural canned chili for $10 a can nowadays.

I'm sure some dumb fawker will pay for it. For $10 a can, it's gotta be the best, right.

Dennison's chunky w/beans (not the hot).

The only one my family likes with dogs.

TXLX100 beat me to it, everytime I want to try some the sodium content just kills it for me.

True with most canned items I suppose, unless stated on the can.

Looking forward to cooler temps in GA, for that crockpot chili!

Tried this today, it's not bad. Calls for mixing 4 lbs of meat, 2 cups of water, and whatever else you like. I only had half a jar left, mixed a pound of ground beef and a pound of cubed brisket and a couple cans of puréed diced tomato (plus salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder).

Salt content is 600mg per 1/2 cup of chili mix (8- 1/2 cups per jar).

image.jpg

Is there a brand of canned chili that is, dare I say, good? I'm not expecting as good as home-made but something that isn't revolting. I just tried Campbells and it is... not good.
I ate a bowl of chili today that was canned and was as good as home made. That's because it was home made and I canned it.

Home canning is much easier than you might think.

Every month or so I make up a huge pot of chili and can it for lunches.

I also can stew, which is even easier. Just pack the raw ingredients into jars cover with seasoned broth then process. The result taste like it was simmered for hours, I've used the tougher cuts of venison for this and they come out spoon tender and moist.

I made a crucial mistake the other day. Cleaning out the pantry, I found a can of Texas Pete brand hot dog chili. I had to throw the hot dog away after putting the chili on it.

I made a crucial mistake the other day. Cleaning out the pantry, I found a can of Texas Pete brand hot dog chili. I had to throw the hot dog away after putting the chili on it.
Seriously??? Coulda fixed that with a little salt. Salt makes everything better. :grinpimp:

Seriously??? Coulda fixed that with a little salt. Salt makes everything better. :grinpimp:

Salt couldn't have fixed it. Literally one of the worst canned foods I've ever tasted or smelled.

Cleaning out the pantry...

Maybe it was a can from 1982? (last time I was up there I found that my mom had some of those in HER pantry)

Haha, no, it was still good through 2015. We clean the pantry out to reorganize every few months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom