Dash Switch Illumination (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LFD2037

TEXAS LEXUS!
Threads
Are all dash switches (rear defrost, hazard, pwr. antenna, etc.) supposed to be illuminated when headlights/dashlights are on or do some not illuminate? None of mine, including the panel to the left of the steering wheel w/the dash dimmer dial, power mirrir controls, etc. illuminate. Is there a fuse that controls just the illum. of these bulbs (they all function fine, just don't illum.)? Or do I need to replace each individual bulb in each switch (a link to these bulbs would be great!)? On the other hand, all my lighting in my speedo/RPM/gas gauge/temp./etc. are illuminated just fine.
Thanks.

Mirror control and dimmer knob don't have bulbs for illumination.

I really thought this would be a quick, simple answer. Since it'll be getting dark soon, can some of y'all take note of what's supposed to illuminate & what's not?

Im after the bulb type in Led format to order on ebay if anyone knows what they are

There's been a previous discussion on the forum with a list of bulb types IIRC, maybe try a few searches.

I recall RR defrost switch should be backlit, mine's got a burnt bulb.

Hazard should too, I think - the manual antenna retract isn't lit in either 80 I have.

This is where I’m at with my 80 this week. Last year I bought a lot of the bulbs for a dash overhaul but was never able to find a part number for the tiny bulbs in the switches noted in the first post of this thread.

There are, indeed, tiny bulbs that are supposed to back light the above named switches but none of mine illuminate and from what I can tell through a magnifying glass, the bulbs are good.

Do the above mentioned dash switches have working lights on your 80?

Can you provide info that would help us all locate and purchase the tiny bulbs for these switches?

If yours were at one time inoperable and bulbs were not the problem, what was the fix?

Toyota bulb PN’s:
Hazard switch 84999-10320 1 each
Ctr diff lock switch 84999-10320 1 each
Rear defogger switch 84999-10320 2 each
Antenna switch 84999-10410 2 each

And the three back lighting bulbs for the heat/AC controller 84999-70015 3 each.

About $90 at a local dealer and $82.28 shipped to my house from toyotapartsdeal.com. Amayama offers very reasonable prices but the international shipping time frame does fit my schedule.

Someone must know what these part numbers translate to so they can be had a lot cheaper. Many of us are not interested in going the LED route and simply want a new light bulb for less than Toyota demands.

Last edited:
I replaced all the bulbs in my '94 with these regular incandescents for $1 each. They are as close to the factory spec bulbs I could find and they work great:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L8BQIXS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Remove the OE bulbs by twisting them out of the sockets. Save the plastic base. Using tweezers, razor knife, whatever, untwist the wires to remove the old bulb from the plastic base. Insert new bulb and bend / twist the wires like the originals. Clip off the excess wire. Reinstall. It sounds difficult but it is super easy.

I replaced all the bulbs in my '94 with these regular incandescents for $1 each. They are as close to the factory spec bulbs I could find and they work great:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L8BQIXS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Remove the OE bulbs by twisting them out of the sockets. Save the plastic base. Using tweezers, razor knife, whatever, untwist the wires to remove the old bulb from the plastic base. Insert new bulb and bend / twist the wires like the originals. Clip off the excess wire. Reinstall. It sounds difficult but it is super easy.
Did you use these in the switches? The bulbs inside the antenna switches are very small.

Used in instrument cluster, dummy lights (locker indicators, etc.), climate buttons and dash switches. There may be a couple of spots that require a different bulb, but I replaced a ton of them and the bulbs I linked worked everywhere I needed a bulb. I don't remember if I replaced the antenna switch bulbs or not. It seems like I did. I've slept a few nights since then.

Sorry to revive a thread from two years ago, but any experts know of cross referenced Toyota bulbs or Toshiba bulbs that work for the switches/climate control in the dash?

Sorry to revive a thread from two years ago, but any experts know of cross referenced Toyota bulbs or Toshiba bulbs that work for the switches/climate control in the dash?
Look at my post above. Bulbs from Amazon can be fitted in your existing plastic bases. A little more work to remove the old bulbs, thread these in and clip off the excess but cheap and last a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom