Cruise Control - WTH Toyota??? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

re_guderian

SILVER Star
Threads
2011 GX 460 - No Radar Cruise, 275/70/17 tires. Speedometer only off by 1-3 MPH at highway speeds compared to GPS.

Scenario: West Texas highways and Freeways (flatter than any flat-earther could dream of) Same scenario applies to any incline over 0.1%)

Me: Sets Cruise Control at 77 MPH
GX460: Sure thing, boss.
Me: Let's bump this up 1 MPH so we're at 78 MPH
GX460: Oh s#!t, Heck YEAH!!! Let's get this party started!!! Release control of the accelerator to Frank!!! (Frank is a 15 year-old recently-escaped juvenile delinquent who just downed 3 Monster Energy Drinks, a hit of speed, and is on the run from the cops).
GX460: Downshift one ge...nope, two gear...nah, what the hell, bump this sucker down to 3rd and redline it, Frank!!!!
GX460: (0.75 seconds later), We there yet? Are we all good? Yes? Great, back to OD.
Me: WTH just happend???
My Passenger: Fuuuuu, my neck hurts, do you have liability insurance???

Is it just me, or is this the absolute WORST cruise control on the market (in 2011). Are newer models any better? Does Radar Cruise make a difference? For a $65K luxury SUV, using CC results in a very un Lexus-like driving experience...

Yeah, the cruise control can be a little finicky especially when trying to set it on a grade. I'll usually have to tap it a few times, either up, down or both to dial in a speed I want it to actually go.
My speedo is 10% off from my tires so I always go off GPS for true speed when setting it.

Last edited:
Get a tune. It fixes this problem almost completely.

I've noticed the CC on my 2010 GX460 is way more aggressive than my 2012 Tundra was. I don't get why, its the exact same drivertrain. At least the GX is quiet enough you don't really notice.

I've had that excess throttle in some vehicles but my 2017 cruise control is one of the smoother ones I have used. Stock tune and pedal mapping.

I've had that excess throttle in some vehicles but my 2017 cruise control is one of the smoother ones I have used. Stock tune and pedal mapping.
I literally can't tell the difference between my 2011 CC and the one in my '95 80 series. Good to know they made some improvements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom