Costway Fridge (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'll keep my experiences updated in my build, but I thought I'd mention... Looks like the High and Medium voltage protection on the fridge trips when the compressor tried to kick on while the vehicle is off. The Low setting seems to work. I'm guessing that there is an instantaneous voltage drop on the line when the compressor tries to kick on. The low setting will let the fridge run down to 11.2 volts I believe. That's probably way to low to be safe to get the Cruiser started. It makes me want to hook the fridge up to a DC power supply and see what the real numbers are. For now, I'll disconnect it if I leave the Cruiser sitting for more than a day.

@Lumpskie I have yet to have this happen while using mine. Generally I run mine at a high setting long enough to get to the desired temp, then just switch it to ECO.

That's interesting. I have a cigarette lighter outlet in the rear, driver's side of my Cruiser. (Is that stock?) Is that the power outlet that you are using? Mine is set to the high setting right now. I wonder if ECO would help. How many quarts is you Alpicool?

I would get a low voltage error on the fridge with the voltage protection on M or H when plugged into the factory 12v socket in back of my 100. Added my own 12v socket, wired directly to a dual battery, and the fridge does not trip the low voltage error. Coincidentally, the fridge does not trigger the low voltage error (on any setting) when plugged into the 12v socket in my Jeep TJ.

My Alpicool is a 55qt unit. I used a hardwire directly to the battery kit that Amazon had on sale with a large gauge wire supplied. I have since bought the ARB wiring kit, because I am cleaning up my cargo area, and I felt the ARB socket mounted nicer than the China one, but have yet to install it.

My Alpicool is a 55qt unit. I used a hardwire directly to the battery kit that Amazon had on sale with a large gauge wire supplied. I have since bought the ARB wiring kit, because I am cleaning up my cargo area, and I felt the ARB socket mounted nicer than the China one, but have yet to install it.

That makes sense. From what I've read, the factory 12v receptacle tends to run to small a gauge wire which trips the voltage monitor. For now, I'll just run the stock setup. If it turns out I like having a fridge, I'll have to upgrade to a better 12v receptacle.

Yeah, having to do it again...just pay the 40$ for the ARB hardwire kit. The fit and finish of the receptacle is nice in that it allows you to bolt/screw it down to be secured. The wiring is similar/same quality to the China wire kit off Amazon.

Saw a youtube video where the presenter mentioned that Costway fridges shouldn't be run in Eco mode because it was bad for the fridge. Have any of you heard of such a thing?

Saw a youtube video where the presenter mentioned that Costway fridges shouldn't be run in Eco mode because it was bad for the fridge. Have any of you heard of such a thing?

Never heard of that. I have run it both ways and have never had a problem with either. Eco is quieter so its nice if your sleeping in the truck.

Never heard of that. I have run it both ways and have never had a problem with either. Eco is quieter so its nice if your sleeping in the truck.
That's exactly when I use eco mode as well. Never had a problem. Been using my cosway/stakool since June and it has been running continuously since then with no problems.

I updated my build with more detail but I figured I'd throw an update over here. I found that my 12v outlet only had wires twisted together under electrical tape. When replaced with a quality crimp connector, my fridge is running flawlessly. I keep it in the "low" setting for voltage protection. I left it running for 2.5 days and the voltage protection did indeed kick in. The battery voltage was 12.18 volts at that time. (which I like because my starter still worked well with that voltage) I went on 1 wheeling trip with the fridge so far as well. The more I use it, the more I like it.

Any updates to this thread regarding experiences / issues? I am contemplating these as my usage does not warrant a $1200 purchase (fridge, cover, outlet, etc.) from the major brands.
Thanks.

Mine just turned 1 year old. Works like a champ. Spends 80% of its time in the back of my truck and the other 20% in my garage still powered up. For the price it is unbeatable.

Mine just turned 1 year old. Works like a champ. Spends 80% of its time in the back of my truck and the other 20% in my garage still powered up. For the price it is unbeatable.

I've only had mine since November, but I have the same experience. It has been powered up everyday since then, either in the garage or the truck. I have taken it on about 15 trips and haven't had an issue with it. Most trips have been up to our (under renovation) cabin. A few trips have been out rock crawling. No issues so far and I really like the fridge in general.

My only frustration with it lies more with my outlet. The voltage protection on mine seems to kick in pretty early. If I leave the fridge in the back of my rig overnight, it seems to trip the protection at some point and give me an error code of ER1. I would like to remove the cigarette lighter connection and go with an anderson plug instead. I'm betting (hoping) that the better connection will prevent the issue.

Speaking of which... it looks like the connection on my fridge is the same as the ARB/Engel 2 pin connector. Can anyone confirm? (maybe I'll just buy the Wits End kit and be done with it)

Last edited:
Has anyone taken current readings on these various fridges? Just curious what to expect. Thanks!

Any updates to this thread regarding experiences / issues? I am contemplating these as my usage does not warrant a $1200 purchase (fridge, cover, outlet, etc.) from the major brands.
I am at 1 year with the 54qt Costway and am still happy with my purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom