Costco wireless rearview camera install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I picked up the wireless rearview camera that Costco had for $85 the other day. While deciding where to mount the receiver/screen, I felt a more permanent install would be nice. I figured I could finally contribute something to this fine site by doing a write up of the install. Forgive me if this doesn't come out well, I haven't done a write up in a while.

The camera is the 4 button version mentioned in this thread.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=121419&highlight=walmart+camera

The final site I decided on was the drivers sunvisor. The reasons for this were 1) easy to view when needed and out of site when not, 2) available power supply at the site. The LX has an illuminated mirror in the visor (not sure about the LC version), as we LX guys apparently need to check ourselves out periadically while driving.:D The camera/transmitter is attached to the license plate with bolts that come with the unit. Here are the prelim pics, more to follow.
DSCN3472.JPG
DSCN3481_edited-1.jpg

OK first step was to remove the visor from the truck. After that I marked out the are where I was going to put the receiver. The only place it would fit was to the right of the mirror. I marked out the area and started slicing with the razor knife. (bit of advise you should probably check that the unit wirks prior to this step.) I made a X cut in the felt/vinyl cover and started pulling out the foam backing. You might want to move the unit to the right about a 1/2" from where I have it. The power plug plugs into the left side and is about 3/4" long and interferes with a metal brace for the mirror. I had to do some creative trimming of the plug to make it bend 90* and fit.

For power I spliced into the mirror's light power. The hot wire is the bottom wire indicated in the photo. For a ground I used the visor mounting screw at the A-post. The receiver/screen is held in by velcro that is included with the unit. There is cardboard backing in the location I used for you to attatch to.

The camera is installed with the 2 upper screws for the rear plate. I drilled a 1/4" hole through my plate and tailgate to run the wires. The kit includes grommets and the wires are wrapped in a sleeve, so there is plenty of abrasion protection. I spliced into the parking lights hot wire. I wanted to be able to use the camera more often than just when in reverse, plus the wires are right there so its just easier.

Pics:
DSCN3476.JPG
DSCN3473_edited-1.jpg
DSCN3479_edited-2.jpg

All in all the install was pretty much a :banana: job. Some initial observations:

Pro:
- Easy installation
- Color camera with a good picture
- Increased view of rear of vehicle, I placed a 3' high step stool behind the LX and without the camera was unable to see it until it was about 12-13' behind the LX. With the camera I can see everything on the ground from about 3' and beyond.

Cons:
- would be nice to have a 90* plug
- screen is kinda small, but when close up on the visor is plenty big.
- height of 80 plate prevents view of hitch, so using for hitch/trailer match up not possible @ this time. I may look into moving camera lower down just above hitch.
- no night/low light ability, would need some good (better than stock) rear illumination to make it useful at night.

While I can't use it to mate up the hitch and trailer, the added safety of seeing everything from about 3' out to 12' is very nice. I haven't had enough time to play around with it, but will try out some different scenarios to test its overall worth.

and a few final install pics.
DSCN3478.JPG
DSCN3477.JPG
DSCN3486.JPG

Last edited:
yeah i saw that at costco and was going to get it but i wasnt sure how well it worked

Do all Costcos have this camera?

That's a great write up. You set the bar pretty high for your next write up.
biggrin.gif

Based on your experience with the unit is it something that would work well for under the truck?

Kenny-not sure if they all do or not, ours still has a bunch.

IB-it doesn't have any lowlight capability, but as long as you have decent illumination underneath (sunny/lightly overcast day) i think it would work well. The camera is pretty well protected from the elements as it has a lens cover. You can select any of four angles so you could mount it underneath with zip ties or something. Only issue might be that you can only use one camera per screen, so no multi cam views.

LX- probably around a 120* view, but no IR or night vision. I'll have to add that to the cons above.

I just got it on today and am still on shift, so I can't really play with it yet to test its limitations.

this camera may also be a good tool for diagnosing errant sounds or funky vibes and such things under our vehicle. Just a thought!

Where's Eric? :D

Kazmanff,

Nice work, and thanks for the write up!

Mot

Where's Eric? :D

Kazmanff,

Nice work, and thanks for the write up!

Mot

if it's this Eric, then I got one for my wife as a present, but have not put it on yet. She may not want it actually... :D

very nice install job in the visor, great idea!

Pro:
- Increased view of rear of vehicle, I placed a 3' high step stool behind the LX and was unable to see it until it was about 12-13' behind the LX.

Are you saying that with the camera, you still can't see it until it is 12-13' behind the vehicle?

FT, no I can see everything on the ground from about 3' out with the camera. Without the camera I couldn't see the top of a 3' tall step stool until it was about 13' behind me. Sorry should have clarified that a little better.

Ken the Boise Costco does have them. I thought about it for a moment and then thought my other idea of multiple USB cameras would be better since I already have the laptop on a mount providing a screen.

I wanted a RCA video camera to wire into my Alpine LCD in the dash...one input left, so I could run multiples to a switched box....not a priority, but cooooool

Kazmanff,

Thanks for the tip. Bought and installed over the weekend and it works like a charm...

Ken the Boise Costco does have them. I thought about it for a moment and then thought my other idea of multiple USB cameras would be better since I already have the laptop on a mount providing a screen.

I do want to have multiple cameras for rock crawling and such but am trying to figure out the most cost effective way to go and integrate the screen and controls into the truck to keep it user friendly. I also want to use cameras that are water resistant or water proof for the underside of my truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom