Coolant Sensor Wires **help** (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Help! While changing the coolant temperature sensor on my 1991 fj80 3FE, the stiff old wires easily fell off the connector. I have a new pigtail with completely different color wires ready to go. I need to know how they were originally on the connector- red-wht and brn-blk. Unfortunately they broke off before I had a chance to note it. Really don't want to reverse anything and confuse
the electronic bits. Any good info is hugely appreciated.

Does it matter if they are in specific order?

tempImageOmh0mJ.png

Last edited:
Guessing this is on a '91?
My '93 has only a single wire at the sensor.
And to get the correct plug and termination required a sit down with the old parts at a Toyota dealer service desk.

Help! While changing the coolant temperature sender, the stiff old wires easily fell off the connector.
The water temp sender for the dash gauge is a single wire on a 91.
The water temp sensor for the ECU is shown below:

1678027115642.png

1678027986166.png

Last edited:
If you look at the back of the connector, you'll find a five digit number; this is the part number of the connector. On either side of the connector, there will be a "1" or a "2"; these are the positions of the wires in the housing; these will match the housing picture below the schematic. IIRC, these pictures are shown from the point of view of the terminals, not the back of the housing.

And yes, it doesn't make a difference which wires are connected to what. Use the schematic @jonheld provided and you'll get the correct wires in the correct positions.

Help! While changing the coolant temperature sender, the stiff old wires easily fell off the connector. I have a new pigtail with completely different color wires ready to go. I need to know how they were originally on the connector- red-wht and brn-blk. Unfortunately they broke off before I had a chance to note it. Really don't want to reverse anything and fry the electronic bits. Any good info is hugely appreciated.

Does it matter if they are in specific order?

View attachment 3264093
This is what I have. 98 LX470…

FBB2F821-D6BC-44C3-9310-C4DD1F8341C9.jpeg

9A2CDA4B-3632-4966-832F-680CA53F4657.jpeg

If you look at the back of the connector, you'll find a five digit number; this is the part number of the connector. On either side of the connector, there will be a "1" or a "2"; these are the positions of the wires in the housing; these will match the housing picture below the schematic. IIRC, these pictures are shown from the point of view of the terminals, not the back of the housing.

And yes, it doesn't make a difference which wires are connected to what. Use the schematic @jonheld provided and you'll get the correct wires in the correct positions.

Thank you all,
Unfortunately, there are no numbers on the green housing. The top snap clip disappeared long ago, maybe they were stamped on it.. If I'm reading the schematic @jonheld provided correctly, the wires should be configured as follows: And thank you @UThaiger (if only that was a 1991).
And to get the correct plug and termination required a sit down with the old parts at a Toyota dealer service desk.

tempImageiFYRH9.png

tempImage9vYqSb.png

Last edited:
Yes, a 1991 FJ80. I should have specified. I found a good connector on a donor truck, not the right color wires though. Local dealer wanted too much $.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom