Compressor Relocation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello to anyone who might have knowledge on this topic or may have done this before me,
I have an idea about, after doing a smog delete on my 4.0L FJ80, that I could use that space for an air compressor (I will be showing the other smog components that I will be deleting), if I have room to put an air compressor within that space.
Has anyone done this before and or knows of a website or someone who has made a template to house an air compressor within this location? I have seen them before put on the same side of the battery within an insolated corner (I will be showing a picture of what that looks like as well), but with the exhaust on the other side where I am doing the smog delete with it being the left hand drive US spec rig. Would there be too much heat if I were to try to attempt the same idea as the cornering but in the newly opened space? I have this picture from another thread and websites on this thread that shows the room I'd have to work with for the idea I am talking about and a better understanding of what I am trying to attempt.

Thank You

Smog delete.jpg

Air compressor corner.jpeg

40 series. Use a York air conditioning compressor to pump air. It us belt driven as an accessory.

On my jeep I had a similar set up and to get around the heat build up I mounted a PC cooling fan next to it, It was a red neck temp fix for a trip to Moab but 5 years later it was still running strong when ever i use the compressor, so I never changed it. I think you are right about the heat, it can be pretty substantial and would require a circulation and escape route in any close environment.

40 series. Use a York air conditioning compressor to pump air. It us belt driven as an accessory.
Im assuming that this York air system isnt just a plug and play system or is it the same mounting points as what would be my air pump that i am getting rid of within the same location? Also have you done this to a 80 series or do you own a 80 series that you have done this too? Lastly can those withstand a lot of heat?

On my jeep I had a similar set up and to get around the heat build up I mounted a PC cooling fan next to it, It was a red neck temp fix for a trip to Moab but 5 years later it was still running strong when ever i use the compressor, so I never changed it. I think you are right about the heat, it can be pretty substantial and would require a circulation and escape route in any close environment.
Do you have a picture by any shot to kinda show me what you are talking about i kinda picture it but I just want to make sure that it is what im think about. You dont have anything to help against the heat other than a fan?

Wits End (vendor on the site) sells the kit that makes it as close to plug and play as it gets for an 80 series. My personal vehicles: 100 has the slee duel battery bracket with the duel ARB compressor, the 80 currently has a buddies 100 series tagging along with a BullyDog compressor hard wired in the engine bay, and another buddy has a Vair RV 100% bag compressor. I have not personally installed one but a 40 series build is in my future and the York is going to be my first choice.

Wits' End york OBA kit is for 1fz motors, not 3fe.

I think if the compressor is in the front of the engine bay with some sort of heat shielding keeping it somewhat isolated from engine temps, it should be OK. I used to have an air filter mounted basically just behind and under the passenger headlight and MAF air temp readings were always just a touch above outside ambient temperature, so I think that particular spot doesn't get too hot. You'll see jeep guys mount the ARB twin compressor pretty much anywhere underhood. I don't know how reliable that is, but the practice is common enough that I feel like the compressor can probably stand it. Or maybe jeep guys are just used to s*** breaking all the time.

@Heckraiser Dang. My bad. I should read more before responding. Thank you for the clarification.

Hard wired electric pumps will definitely work in that space. How many fabrication skills do you have? Bending some sheet metal to make a bracket that provides a flat mating surface for the compressor would be a good solution. A compressor in a bag with Anderson Quick connects is also something to consider.

I know the york kit is for the 1fz but I'm sure you could fab up a bracket for the 3fe. Here's what it looks like.

20200821_215432.jpg

20210223_204550.jpg

With this york compressor how big of a tank do yall run? Where do you put it within the rig and this is assuming you have a tank in the truck i dont know if this the same as the ARB one (the one im lostly looking into getting for this rig) And what else would i need to do that i might not be thinking about or might not know about that i should look out for and or do before diving almost head first into this project or something close to this project.

I run about a .75gal tank, I would have gone bigger but my winch takes up a lot of space. I eventually plan on having a larger tank in the rear but this tank provides enough of a buffer to keep the compressor from constantly cycling.

20200822_161104.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom