1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Compressor Opinions Wanted

Discussion in 'Tire and Wheel Tech' started by MastiffDad14, Mar 17, 2017.

1. MastiffDad14

MastiffDad14

I was just getting ready to order the ARB Dual compressor and a 2.5 gallon tank to put where the spare tire resides. I started to dig into the specs of the compressor (4.65CFM AT 29PSI) and compare to other offerings. Sure there are more powerful units but they are also much more expensive.

I found this company Air Zenith, They offer a 100% duty cycle compressor rated at 4.25CFM at 30psi, with a 200psi working pressure, so yes the compressor offers 10% less cfm than the ARB compressor but its highest current draw is 35A compared to the ARB unit at 56A.

2nd Generation 200PSI OB2 Compressor Black

The compressor Retails for $369, and they offer a kit with a 5 gal tank with required fittings for $525.

Single-OB2-Black Onboard Compressor Kit

What does everyone think, am I missing something obvious?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  2. MDarius

MDarius I break stuff. SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
  3. Jason hansen

Jason hansen

4. bj70_guy

bj70_guy

Bang for the buck it's tough to beat the Puma. Have a 12V in my 81 and a 24V in the 74, love 'em.

MastiffDad14 likes this.
  5. RFB

RFB 97 FZJ80 LIFTED BLOWN DUAL BATTERIES,37s SILVER Star

Media:
    Ill tell ya, I use my viair p300(amazon) and it fills all my 37s to 45lbs from flat in 7 min per. no joke low buck

6. Cruiser Bauers

Cruiser Bauers

I have the Viair P400 and fills my four tire in like 10 minutes max if I had them at 15 psi. I have a system similar to what the Witsend self off the back cross member

7. Tapage

Tapage Club 4X4 Panamá SILVER Star

The ARB it's better than the Puma hands down .. ( had / have both ) but you pay that performance ..

8. Dragos80

Dragos80

I've had this little air compressor for many years. Somewhere between 10-15 years. Used on many cars so far. Really bad initial quality build (in terms of wiring), but it worked so far well. No fires or short. A few blown fuses along the years, but that's it.

I just finished my mods on it today and I am really, really excited and happy with it.
    Best bang for tha buck in my opinion. Paid about $50 at Pep Boys plus $10 recently for the wire and maybe $10 for the ammo can.

I love it. Best part, you get to take in whichever car you want to. Not permanently mounted.

RFB likes this.
  9. Willard

Willard SILVER Star

@Dragos80 I have the exact same unit. use it all the time and it is solid.

Recently I bought a ARB dual off another forum (new) as I know I will be adding lockers at some point. So if you are never going add lockets then get what works for you. The Pump or Viair is fine, just not sure about them and using with lockers.

The puma compressor looks very similar to the extreme air units.

Dragos80 likes this.
  10. Dragos80

Dragos80

I got OEM lockers on mine. This compressor is just for inflating tires. It does a really good job at it. Now it's even better, and safer.

11. Dragos80

Dragos80

Finally got around to shoot a video on how fast you can air up with this compressor, after the mods were done, on a 33" tire.

Totally worth it, in my opinion.

12. Dragos80

Dragos80

Follow up video 15 - 35 PSI on 33"

13. abuck99

abuck99

I've got the ARB CKMA12 which is their single high output version. It inflates from 15 or 20psi to 30psi very quickly(fast enough). It takes up less space under the hood & draws fewer amps. I don't have the need for a reserve tank so this one suits my needs for operating the locker and airing tires.

I looked at several of the mentioned options, and what pushed me to the ARB was the reputation for reliability, product support, and the integrated wiring solution to run my locker. They made it really easy and straight forward to wire up to switches, compressor, actuator and battery.

I really liked the PUMA for its superior air cfm and quiet operation, but did not want to devote the added space to mount it.

Tags: