Compressor Opinions Wanted (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was just getting ready to order the ARB Dual compressor and a 2.5 gallon tank to put where the spare tire resides. I started to dig into the specs of the compressor (4.65CFM AT 29PSI) and compare to other offerings. Sure there are more powerful units but they are also much more expensive.

I found this company Air Zenith, They offer a 100% duty cycle compressor rated at 4.25CFM at 30psi, with a 200psi working pressure, so yes the compressor offers 10% less cfm than the ARB compressor but its highest current draw is 35A compared to the ARB unit at 56A.

2nd Generation 200PSI OB2 Compressor Black

The compressor Retails for $369, and they offer a kit with a 5 gal tank with required fittings for $525.

Single-OB2-Black Onboard Compressor Kit

What does everyone think, am I missing something obvious?

Last edited:
Bang for the buck it's tough to beat the Puma. Have a 12V in my 81 and a 24V in the 74, love 'em.

Ill tell ya, I use my viair p300(amazon) and it fills all my 37s to 45lbs from flat in 7 min per. no joke low buck

I have the Viair P400 and fills my four tire in like 10 minutes max if I had them at 15 psi. I have a system similar to what the Witsend self off the back cross member

I've had this little air compressor for many years. Somewhere between 10-15 years. Used on many cars so far. Really bad initial quality build (in terms of wiring), but it worked so far well. No fires or short. A few blown fuses along the years, but that's it.

I just finished my mods on it today and I am really, really excited and happy with it.
Best bang for tha buck in my opinion. Paid about $50 at Pep Boys plus $10 recently for the wire and maybe $10 for the ammo can.

I love it. Best part, you get to take in whichever car you want to. Not permanently mounted.

Reactions: RFB
@Dragos80 I have the exact same unit. use it all the time and it is solid.

Recently I bought a ARB dual off another forum (new) as I know I will be adding lockers at some point. So if you are never going add lockets then get what works for you. The Pump or Viair is fine, just not sure about them and using with lockers.

The puma compressor looks very similar to the extreme air units.

I got OEM lockers on mine. This compressor is just for inflating tires. It does a really good job at it. Now it's even better, and safer.

Finally got around to shoot a video on how fast you can air up with this compressor, after the mods were done, on a 33" tire.

Totally worth it, in my opinion.

I've got the ARB CKMA12 which is their single high output version. It inflates from 15 or 20psi to 30psi very quickly(fast enough). It takes up less space under the hood & draws fewer amps. I don't have the need for a reserve tank so this one suits my needs for operating the locker and airing tires.

I looked at several of the mentioned options, and what pushed me to the ARB was the reputation for reliability, product support, and the integrated wiring solution to run my locker. They made it really easy and straight forward to wire up to switches, compressor, actuator and battery.

I really liked the PUMA for its superior air cfm and quiet operation, but did not want to devote the added space to mount it.

Just found out about this Australian option. Thumper Max Dual 300L/min output (not sure at what pressure... probably 0 as in no load).
That would translate to 10.59 CFM. Impressive. It would beat the TJM option by a lot.

Thumper Max Dual Air Compressor

Not sure if they ship to US and how much that would be. It weighs 20lb.

No shipping to the US on the site, I'll email them and see what they say.
Just found out about this Australian option. Thumper Max Dual 300L/min output (not sure at what pressure... probably 0 as in no load).
That would translate to 10.59 CFM. Impressive. It would beat the TJM option by a lot.

I found a supplier that will ship them to the US. He can ship two at a time any more and the shipping just goes through the roof.

If any one is interested I can get the compressors for $230 plus what shipping would be in the states figure $35 max from coast to coast.

Even at 0 psi the output is in a league of its own all things relative! Always up for a good deal but call me suspicious at $230 + shipping (USD?).

It also explains the 90amp draw spec.

PUMA for the win since 2007 and 100's of hours of use.
Best bang for the buck hands down in term of cost vs performance vs reliability

If you air needs are 12 times or less a year then MV-50 for the win

asset.jpg
IMG_8737[1].JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom