Builds Cody's slow white 80 (re)build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
EDIT: THIS THREAD PRECEEDED BY WHICH INCLUDES ONE TON DRIVETRAIN SWAP, MUCH OF THE WORK IN THIS THREAD (PART TIME CASE, AXLES, TIRES/WHEELS, REAR STORAGE ETC) HAS BEEN SWAPPED OUT.

Hey, I thought i would finally post a couple pics of what im working on, and ask a few questions, but first the details of my project:

92 FJ80, w/ 91 cummins and airbags installed by one of the PO's, was on 35" open country's

PO had an adapter built to use stock A440f with stock t-case and AVM part time kit.

The A440 I believe had the rodneys extreme valve body installed, but it began sh*tting out flex plates every couple weeks, so Im installing a NV4500 HD out of a 97 cummins with AA adapter to split case.

The split case being used is out of BJ60 and has the 2.27:1 low gears

Right now I am waiting for t-case output flanges to arrive so I can match the split case to 80 series driveshafts, then I will bolt up the trans/t-case, and finish building or adapting a new crossmember. I do have a few electrical questions for anyone who remembers the auto tranny well.

some pics.
IMG_9158.jpg
IMG_9161.jpg
IMG_9162.jpg

Last edited:
Heres a pic of the 6BT in the engine bay, it ran alright for a year, but I ended up having the top end rebuilt (bad compression numbers) and had the head ported and polished to keep egt's lower.

I need to redo some wiring, can anyone tell me what each of these connectors is for, I lent my Fluke meter out to a friend, so I cant do any continuity checks at the moment. I suppose I will need to identify which wire interupted the key start (in gear) am I correct it is the 2 wire terminal? Can anyone tell me what the rest are for?

Also here is a pic of what my console looks like at the moment, it has the 4 paddle switches to let air in and out of the airbags, and 2 dual needle air gauges to tell me pressure at the rear and front on either side. I will be adding 2 new shifter boots to accomodate the 2 shifters, and I believe the t-case shifter will give me the option of 2 Low, though I may see about getting a couple custom shift knobs later.
IMG_9163.jpg
IMG_9165.jpg
IMG_9167.jpg

some more pics, because well, pics are rad!

A side shot with the mud grapplers with no air in the bags.

Here is the mount that will bolt to the t-case adapter. The Nv4500 and the splitcase dont have mounting locations, on either unit the mount was on the motor or t-case.

Also, here is the bracket that will house the 60 series pedal I am using, waiting for the paint to dry...

And finally here is the storage in the rear of the vehicle, I have the 3rd row in, and the blue box is bolted down. I may buy an auxillary tank in the future, and have half started a rear bumper with swing outs, just havent had time for progress in like 6 months.

By the way, where is the best place to mount a CB in a FJ80?
:cheers:
IMG_9172.jpg
IMG_9160.jpg
IMG_9168.jpg

sick sick sick. Keep up the good work.
Sorry no help here on the wiring.

the to wire circle conector it's the P and N safety switch .. join both and you can start. The middle one thought it's the starter . ? not sure here ..

The square one it's the main harnes there you have speedo signal and others .. but IIRC I have 2 of 'em in my 80 ..

the to wire circle conector it's the P and N safety switch .. join both and you can start. The middle one thought it's the starter . ? not sure here ..

The square one it's the main harnes there you have speedo signal and others .. but IIRC I have 2 of 'em in my 80 ..

Thanks! I will bypass (jumper) the connector, and run it to the clutch switch on the new pedal.

I dont think that one is speedo, as I replaced the speedo cable months ago. I know there must be wiring for the 4X4 and Low indicator lights, and maybe CDL.

some more pics, because well, pics are rad!

A side shot with the mud grapplers with no air in the bags.

Here is the mount that will bolt to the t-case adapter. The Nv4500 and the splitcase dont have mounting locations, on either unit the mount was on the motor or t-case.

Also, here is the bracket that will house the 60 series pedal I am using, waiting for the paint to dry...

And finally here is the storage in the rear of the vehicle, I have the 3rd row in, and the blue box is bolted down. I may buy an auxillary tank in the future, and have half started a rear bumper with swing outs, just havent had time for progress in like 6 months.

CB mounted in the ash tray location or below an aftermarket single DIN radio seems to be a pretty common location.

BTW - I'm curious about your wheels & tires. Are you running wheel spacers on the FJ Cruiser wheels? How wide is your tires? I've always liked the look of the tires sticking out past the flares. I've got the same wheels & I'm hoping to get an idea of what I want. Any info would be appreciated.

Looks like the tires will rub? :flipoff2:

No advise sorry, but :cool: build :cheers:

Looks like the tires will rub? :flipoff2:

No advise sorry, but :cool: build :cheers:

The airbags dont have any air in them so it is riding on the bump stops on four corners, i will be lowering the bumpstops too to protect things a bit.

The handiest spot I found (without holeing your dash) is vertical-face up on the rear end of your console, inches away from your cup-holder and out of site.

My cruiser has a home scabricated console, so I could maybe install it on the console some where, or inside it. Ill take a pic of that tomorrow too.

I will also need to drill out the threaded holes for the crossmember mount on the adapter to a larger size, the holes there are small, like for two 12mm-14mm bolts, not much for the amount of torque it will see, I dont know why AA would have done this... Unfortuantely my cordless dewalt had the chuck lock up, so I will have to get by with an air drill and my air nailer compressor to do drill the mount holes, but the boss may let me get a new cordless this week. Im hoping for a Li-ion makita if I can find a good price!

I dont think that one is speedo, as I replaced the speedo cable months ago. I know there must be wiring for the 4X4 and Low indicator lights, and maybe CDL.

as I said I have 2 of those sqares .. coz my 80 use electronic speedo sensor ..

Thats strange tapage, because I know there is a cable that runs off the transmission on my 92fj80, do you think it is different on diesels or something??

Anyways, got the adapter drilled out for 2 half inch bolts to bolt to the crossmember mount, picked up the replacement t-case flanges, got them mounted up with new seals and nuts (Thanks Steve @ EBI cruiser parts!), and trimmed down the t-case shift linkage so I got 2HI 4HI, 4LO and 2LO without the linkage rubbing on the linkage bracket (if that makes any sense)
IMG_9173.jpg
IMG_9176.jpg
IMG_9178.jpg

Last edited:
Heres a pic of the plate I built to support the dodge clutch master cylinder to the firewall the pother day, its aluminum plate that I used a hole saw and a drill press to machine out some material for the plastic tabs on the master to lock in place.

Also a rough pic of my home scabricated console, but not bolted down, I may just install the CB inside it later.

Ill try and get the pedal mounted tomorrow I think, in hindsight it would have been way easier to use an 80 series brake pedal assembly and modify as needed.
IMG_9175.jpg
IMG_9179.jpg

Thanks, i had a look through your thread, it makes sense that there would be a speed sensor for the cruise control, which had been deleted, though I would still like to have one. I believe I only have wiring on the new trans and t-case for 4wd, and reverse, so i will have to sort those out at some point, if you find them let me know.

Nice work on your trans swap BTW.

Cody.

The speed sensor for the cruiser control is inline with the speedometer cable at the transfer case. I think that is part of the other large connector. Now that I think about it I left that one plugged in at the engine side. I have the speed sensor plugged in, but I have the nss jumpered so still no cruise control. I have a brake pedal switch from a 60 that I am going to eventually use with the clutch pedal to prevent the truck from starting in gear and to allow the cruise to work.

So, the trans wont slide under the truck with all the air out of the bags, so I have to throw some air in them to get it underneath. Since I have bags that leak because the bumpstops were non existent, I need to put the new bags in and protect them with bumpstops, heres what I scabbed together this morning, also got the pedal bucket and alloy plate bolted in for the master...
IMG_9181.jpg
IMG_9182.jpg
IMG_9183.jpg

I have not wired up my 4wd indicator light yet, I will look through the ewd and see if I can figure it out.

strongly interested in this ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom