CM 2012 May2 - May 6 2012 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Michael wrote an e-mail to an agency today, and I ordered $66 worth of books and maps already :hillbilly:

we are thinking left side of the river :steer:

Maze District

Anyone interested in exploring the Maze District the Tuesday to Friday before meeting in Blanding on the Saturday leading up CM2012? Besides myself, two other rigs are interested. Involves 4 nights in Canyonlands Park.

provided our tent and stuff still work and haven't disintegrated while sitting in the garage in Arizona dry heat for 7 years :eek:

oh, and just for the sake of it, I am not doing Blanding ;p

Hi Glenn;

Lorna & I plan on attending again this year. The pre-run is the highlight of the trip. Michael and Claudia's sentiments echo ours in many ways. We would like to attend vendor night and visit with old friends but probably will not register for CM2012. Lorna & I did the Burr Trail last summer and had a great time. We have always wanted to spend time in the Maze district. Any thing out that way would be of interest. We have spent time in the Hanksville -Torrey area.

Our schedule is pretty flexible! Looking forward to seeing everyone again.

Jim

... Rules are no more than 3 vehicles per camping permit, no more than 9 people/permit, and must carry portable toilets. ...

With the group size that we typically have, this plan would require splitting into several groups? It is possible to camp just outside of the park, then these rules don't apply?

I'm guessing that; when camping, the amenities maybe less than Blanding? :hillbilly::p

Will anyone be bringing a surgeon? Just sayin, you never know what can happen on this pre run adventure.

Sounds like a trip is forming. I'll schedule the time off May 2-5 and see if I can join up with you folks.

Hi Everyone,
My original plan was to do the Maze before the Blanding -Monticello trips..
Claudia and Michael may not have the time and may be doing the Maze in stead of the Blanding-Monticello runs.
You can camp outside the park boundary near Hans Flats (did that in 2011), but with day trips you can't get too far in the Maze before you must head out. They have made it a long way one-way in and out deal. Gassers will need a lot of fuel.We are set up for remote camping, so it might be little easier for us.
If some people still want to do Blanding -Monticello on Saturday to Tuesday - we are game for that leading up to CM2012.

I love the area and want to see as much as possible since it is a long haul for us to get to Moab.
Jim you are welcome to come with us into the Maze, but the trailer maybe too big.. At least day trips might be possible from the boundary.

Hi Glenn;

If we do the Maze we would leave the Kimberley at home an take the Ca-101. Will follow this thread to see what develops. This will be our 11th year in Moab and we are open to something new. Looking forward to seeing you and Drew.

Hi Glenn;

Lorna & I plan on attending again this year. The pre-run is the highlight of the trip. Michael and Claudia's sentiments echo ours in many ways. We would like to attend vendor night and visit with old friends but probably will not register for CM2012. Lorna & I did the Burr Trail last summer and had a great time. We have always wanted to spend time in the Maze district. Any thing out that way would be of interest. We have spent time in the Hanksville -Torrey area.

I had a great time last year on my solo trip in that area before Cruise Moab - dang, I still haven't gotten around to a write-up :rolleyes:

I'm guessing that; when camping, the amenities maybe less than Blanding? :hillbilly::p

amenities is not my problem :meh:

it's the actual lack of infrastructure that irks me, particularly when there is a theoretical promise - such as when they claim that there is a "restaurant" open in Blanding after 7pm or on a Sunday :confused: sorry, a microwave oven in a not-so-super market at a gas station just doesn't qualify for that in my book :doh:

Last edited:
Hi Glenn;

If we do the Maze we would leave the Kimberley at home an take the Ca-101. Will follow this thread to see what develops. This will be our 11th year in Moab and we are open to something new. Looking forward to seeing you and Drew.

Hi Jim
Assuming we are meeting in Blanding or 'there abouts' on Saturday? our Maze group is planning to meet Tuesday in Green River for the final fuel up. As for amenities - I recall there is a washroom at Hans Flats Ranger Station at the Maze park boundary, but nothing else - you must have a porta-potty in the park. It is primitive camping on BLM land just outside of the boundary.
Although Jim may have more information Hanksville is the closest 'town'' with limited amenities. I see it has an astounding selection of three restaurants to chose from, assuming they are open :grinpimp:
Hanksville, UT Restaurants: Reviews and Opinions - TripAdvisor

Whispering Sands Motel (Hanksville, UT): See 72 Reviews and 25 Photos

An over nighter would require fuel to be hauled in to make it out. Another variable to factor into the thought process

I'm open to just about anything. My total fuel capacity is 45 gal so I should be able to go deep inside the Maze w/o issues.

our time frame is April 28th through May 6th for everything, including Cruise Moab

I'm open to just about anything. My total fuel capacity is 45 gal so I should be able to go deep inside the Maze w/o issues.

The stock 20 gallon (imperial) tank on the BJ74 will give nearly a 480 mile range. Phil hates it when I say things like that.. .

Last edited:
The stock 20 gallon tank on the BJ74 will give nearly a 480 mile range. Phil hates it when I say things like that.. .

Oh sure, rub it in. :flipoff2:

Maze Fuel

Our rough plan for the Maze is from north to south for 4-5 nights prior to the Saturday before CM.
Regarding fuel requirements - from Green River doing everthing in the Maze it would be 300-320 miles to Hite Marina. This includes 70 miles of pavement, 90 miles of relativly high speed dirt (15 -25mph) and 160 miles of rougher trail (4 - 10 mph.). I doubt we will have time to do it all.

Hite Marina has a 24-hr credit card fuel pump. According to:

Glen Canyon National Recreation Area - Lake Powell Marinas (U.S. National Park Service)

"Land based facilities include the Hite Ranger Station with emergency services, visitor information, public restrooms, and a fish cleaning station. A convenience store is open daily except during the winter season with gasoline & diesel fuel available year round."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom