Clutch went out in traffic (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FJ40JOHN

SILVER Star
Threads
Posting this from the shoulder on 610 between I10 and 290 in Houston while I wait on my tow truck.

Driving I'm stop and go traffic this afternoon, heard/felt something weird with my clutch, the couldn't get it to engage (disengage?) . Sitting in the right hand lane on a major road at a dead stop. Stalled the truck and used the starter and first to bump over to the shoulder.

Fluid on the floor at my feet, reservoir was empty (was full yesterday). Added fluid, no change, pedal straight to the floor.

Have a master ordered from the local parts store for this evening, and a slave for tomorrow morning.

Can I get away with just the MC for now?

As Doug said, change them both out if at all possible.

Penny wise & dollar foolish if you don't.

Last edited:
Master will be changed tonight, because I need to drive this weekend. Slave will be changed ASAP after that.

All of this will be bled and re-done when I get a new driveline installed in a few weeks anyway.

This truck is slowly killing me.

Master will be changed tonight, because I need to drive this weekend. Slave will be changed ASAP after that.

All of this will be bled and re-done when I get a new driveline installed in a few weeks anyway.

This truck is slowly killing me.
Ha! I hear you man. But if you wanted easy you would not have bought a nearly 30 year old cruiser. Sell it. Go get a Kia w/ a 10 year/100k warranty. It'll give you much better piece of mind tho you might be a tad depressed... and bored.

Ha! I hear you man. But if you wanted easy you would not have bought a nearly 30 year old cruiser. Sell it. Go get a Kia w/ a 10 year/100k warranty. It'll give you much better piece of mind tho you might be a tad depressed... and bored.

Hell no. I sold a 2011 BMW to move into this. No payment, cheap insurance, but gas mileage sucks, my AC doesn't work, and things are breaking on a regular basis. With these repairs and the 'new' drivetrain going in soon, I should be good to go for a while and can enjoy it again.

Hell no. I sold a 2011 BMW to move into this. No payment, cheap insurance, but gas mileage sucks, my AC doesn't work, and things are breaking on a regular basis. With these repairs and the 'new' drivetrain going in soon, I should be good to go for a while and can enjoy it again.
Famous last words 'good to go.' ;)

I don't know what I would do with my life if I didn't have something to repair or tweak on my Land Cruiser. I guess I would just sell it at that point and get me another project... another Cruiser of course, but one that would keep me busy for a while. Putting a wrench on these old trucks is half the fun of owning one. I spend more time under the hood than behind the wheel.

Time to learn clutchless shifting. Wouldn't work well in stop and go traffic but if the road is clear you can drive a Cruiser with a non-functioning clutch.

I've done it before, but getting into first from a dead stop wasn't happening. There is no free running room in Houston traffic on a Friday afternoon.

At a stop/neutral coast to stop, turn off truck, put in 1st gear, turn key....off you go....up shifts are easy, down not as easy

If in really slow trafic, you can use low range and just creep along...

Funny story about clutch less shifting.
I had a 71 chev shortbed loaded with 23 sheets of slippery melamine taking back to my shop to turn into some cabinets. Came up to a stop light on a busy intersection and pushed the clutch in and it snapped the linkage and voila no clutch. I had driven without before so I knew what to do. I shut it off and stuck it in 1st (granny gear in that truck). light turned green, I started it up and took off. Building up speed to make the shift into second I let off a bit and dropped it into second. The truck lurched ahead and then I spread 23 sheets of melamine across the entire west bound lanes of the intersection. I watched as people just started driving over them.Until I started yelling at them Finally a couple guys jumped out and helped me load em back up. And yes they were strapped together with metal strapping

yeah no need for a tow truck. completely painless to drive with no clutch pedal.

and fyi 1984 was 33 years ago, things are going to need replaced till you get it base lined.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom