CLUTCH FORK WOES (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys,

Putting in new clutch in my 69 Fj40, all stock, 1F with three speed tranny. All going well till I installed the release lever. It appears that the fork is sitting below center of the clutch housing and when installed the TO bearing will not ride the clutch levers properly. I am banging my head trying to figure out what I have done wrong here. Flywheel resurfaced, new clutch disk, pressure plate, pilot bearing, hub and TO bearing and used clutch fork, (same as one removed that was badly worn on TO contact points.)

I don't get it, any ideas? Hope these pictures might help.

FORK.JPG

SLAVE.JPG

you should have some play in the clutch release fork, once the transmission is ready to be mated with the clutch and you have slid the throw out bearing and hub over the transmission input shaft bearing housing, lined up the pilot bearing, you'll find that the clutch forks can only go on one way and if they are wired to the hub, ditto. You're going to have to take the clutch slave off, can't install it with that on, probably the reason you think its' misaligned. Put the clutch slave on after you install the transmission

Thanks for the reply. If I understand you correctly after trans is in place then I connect the fork to hub and reconnect the slave. Do I have it right?
I was thinking the hub and fork should be connected before I slid the trans back in.

Have the fork installed in the bell housing with the throw out bearing attached. It should move up and down quite a bit. The bearing will line up on the sleeve around the input shaft.

Thanks for the replies, I unbolted the slave and installed the TO bearing in fork. Jacked up trans and got it started into bell housing. Ran out of steam for the night. I should be able to wiggle in to the pilot bearing tonight. Appreciate the input.

@2dogs
It helps to have the slave installed, sometimes I have found I can't quite wiggle it home and have had somebody depress the clutch pedal and the the tranny will slide home.
On the odd occasion it helps.

I wasn't able to stab the transmission input shaft into the pilot bearing, only having that cheap plastic alignment tool. I figured if I could release the clutch disc from the pressure plate, I'd have a better chance of making it fit.

I hooked this up, and 30 seconds later the input shaft slipped right in.

Alternative to installing slave cylinder, clutch master, and tubing:

(Also note the tranny alignment headless bolt, threaded into the top (both sides) of the bell housing.)

upload_2018-1-12_16-5-33.png

Nicely done.

is there enough room to get the transfer on the back of it, with the trans in place?

I guess it depends. My Jan 73 had plenty of room to install the 3 speed and then the transfer case. As you can see in the picture, my crossmember behind the transfer case is the one with the 'bump' design, intended for the four speed transmission.

That being said, if you have the older style crossmember, and a four speed transmission, it's likely a different story.

@2dogs

I wasn't able to stab the transmission input shaft into the pilot bearing, only having that cheap plastic alignment tool. I figured if I could release the clutch disc from the pressure plate, I'd have a better chance of making it fit.

I hooked this up, and 30 seconds later the input shaft slipped right in.

Alternative to installing slave cylinder, clutch master, and tubing:

(Also note the tranny alignment headless bolt, threaded into the top (both sides) of the bell housing.)

View attachment 1609245
M
Under the category of ‘where there’ a will there’s a way..

Great information! I am going to finish the trans connection today, gotta take a "stab" at it and if that doesn't work I like the idea of depressing the fork to help the pilot bearing alignment. Wish my frame looked that pretty 73FJ! My old tub is just a trail rig at this point and trying to keep everything working while enjoying the mountains. Thanks to all for the tips!

is there enough room to get the transfer on the back of it, with the trans in place?
Brian- I've already had to disassemble the rear (side of bellhousing) engine mounts so the rear of the engine/transmission could hang down a little to be able to slide a transfer case over the tranny output shaft.

Brian- I've already had to disassemble the rear (side of bellhousing) engine mounts so the rear of the engine/transmission could hang down a little to be able to slide a transfer case over the tranny output shaft.
For the record, year of frame (older 'straight' cross member or newer 'bumped' cross member) 3 or 4 speed transmission?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom