Clearance Issue With York A/C Compressor, Fan Shroud And Fan Clearance (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Guys,
Looking for some assistance from the great minds of the collective. After I blew a heater core hose under the dash, I decided to replace all old, bad or incorrect pieces in the cooling system that I’ve been collecting, while I’m slowly putting the FJ55 engine bay as close to factory as I can get. I bought an AISIN 8 blade fan from FJ Parts, a repop fan spacer from Marks off-road, and sourced an FJ55 shroud. My FJ55 has air-conditioning, and looks to be original to the truck. The problem I am having is with fan and fan shroud clearance with the AC clutch pulley. When I bought the truck it had a Hayden style aluminum fan and extruded spacer, with no fan shroud. There was only one belt on the AC pulley, and the tensioner was missing from the system. The PO pried a perfectly sized belt onto compressor pulley to have a tight fitting belt. My question is, should this have a single pulley compressor, and has anyone had to trim their factory fan blade to clear the clutch pulley? TIA

E155ACEC-87AF-4F1B-B296-0C5CA3527832.jpeg

1360CD5F-2C8C-4ED2-9987-88AB44E5CEBC.jpeg

AA96229A-6BC4-49A9-848E-C804A46ECAF1.jpeg

B8C3F164-100C-45AA-A1E2-0AC590C51095.jpeg

758136A0-5B28-4211-B065-921944DB48CC.jpeg

I have never seen that type of interior console before. Seeing that hand made wire bracket holding it in place on the right makes me wonder it this is not a factory or dealer install. Also the two belt pulley on the York is confusing. If it is indeed not a factory installed ac system that would be why non factory fan is installed And the shroud is missing because I will never fit with that pulley. Also don’t recall what year the 4 blade fan was replaced by an 8 blade fan with clutch.

Something looks amiss With the ac system. Clardy is out of Fortwoth Texas and is an aftermarket ac suppler.

Is there a double pulley on the crank shaft

Is there a double pulley on the crank shaft
It had a third pulley on the crank. And since my first post I figured out the AISIN fan hit that third crank pulley too. I’m guessing that third crank pulley was for the compressor, probably a single pulley compressor. Both the compressor mounting bracket and pulley have Mapco stamps on them

3B6EEBE8-4802-428D-B560-B3EE7B8AAF91.jpeg

5C74C4CA-E435-4AA3-830A-EDD0114B237D.jpeg

B1460223-8F1C-4953-8FEB-6C6B212F4F2D.jpeg

I have never seen that type of interior console before. Seeing that hand made wire bracket holding it in place on the right makes me wonder it this is not a factory or dealer install. Also the two belt pulley on the York is confusing. If it is indeed not a factory installed ac system that would be why non factory fan is installed And the shroud is missing because I will never fit with that pulley. Also don’t recall what year the 4 blade fan was replaced by an 8 blade fan with clutch.

Something looks amiss With the ac system. Clardy is out of Fortwoth Texas and is an aftermarket ac suppler.

I think the reason for those brackets is because the screws holding it from the inside are pulling through the plastic of the under Dash unit. Somebody put those brackets later in its life to hold it in

image.jpg

Looks as though someone did whatever they had to, to stuff in an ac system and for you to bring engine bay back to stock means Ac goes or you have to get your pulley system corrected somehow. I may be wrong but again somethings not adding up

if you want to re-arrange the a/c. a stock 3 groove crank pulley has the third groove closer to the engine block not closer to the radiator.
then you could use a 60 motor mount and a 60 a/c compresor.

That's a dealer installed AC system. I have 2 early 60 series 2Fs with them. I looked at mine and the fan clears the York compressor. The fan is further forward and uses a fan clutch. There are a couple of different water pumps for a 2F that push the fan forward. I'm not sure what is available for the 1F and 1.5F. For yours it doesn't look like you have a lot of clearance in front of the radiator to move the fan too much forward.

You might look at replacing the compressor and bracket with the Vintage Air setup. It allows the compressor to be further towards the passenger fender and does not require the 3 groove pulley. It will likely give you the needed clearance for your fan. You'll need to use a new compressor as don't think the York will mount up to it. On some early 40's you do need to trim the fan shroud to allow the compressor clutch and belt to clear. You can download the instructions from VA and it shows that this may be needed.

Thanks for the affirmation. I’d considered the idea they may have used a clutch fan and clutch fan water pump, but If this was dealer installed, they wouldn’t have had the later clutch fan and water pump available at the time. There must’ve been a special shroud that came with this AC system to clear the compressor clutch and added crank pulley, Unless the eight blade fan is physically larger in diameter than the original four blade fan. I don’t have one to measure.

Without seeing an intact FJ55 Clardy/Mapco AC system, it’s all just conjecture..

For the time being, I’m just going to pull the compressor and AC crank pulley.

If anyone has photos of this style system, I would greatly appreciate it.

That's a dealer installed AC system. I have 2 early 60 series 2Fs with them. I looked at mine and the fan clears the York compressor. The fan is further forward and uses a fan clutch. There are a couple of different water pumps for a 2F that push the fan forward. I'm not sure what is available for the 1F and 1.5F. For yours it doesn't look like you have a lot of clearance in front of the radiator to move the fan too much forward.

You might look at replacing the compressor and bracket with the Vintage Air setup. It allows the compressor to be further towards the passenger fender and does not require the 3 groove pulley. It will likely give you the needed clearance for your fan. You'll need to use a new compressor as don't think the York will mount up to it. On some early 40's you do need to trim the fan shroud to allow the compressor clutch and belt to clear. You can download the instructions from VA and it shows that this may be needed.

Good to know that’s an option. Thanks 👍

if you want to re-arrange the a/c. a stock 3 groove crank pulley has the third groove closer to the engine block not closer to the radiator.
then you could use a 60 motor mount and a 60 a/c compresor.

Test fitting without the AC compressor and third crank pulley, the fan mounts and clears everything pretty well. The fan isn’t exactly centered in the steel fan shroud so it wants to touch at the top. If I hold the radiator up and snug the bolts, it rotates without rubbing the shroud. There’s probably a 1 inch gap at the bottom and maybe a quarter inch at the top once I pull up the radiator

E3014F03-71BD-42F2-A033-8E3D26A510F5.jpeg

D50F6DAF-5DBC-4C6B-A0CC-7346C7799132.jpeg

D7FF97F8-9CFB-4CF1-AF69-77C99F8D1707.jpeg

974E0406-D58A-4076-AA2A-9A0F0C82C57A.jpeg

72187ABC-F248-4189-9203-5F816EB7708B.jpeg

samc2447,
I'd really like to see how this AC system is supposed to look when it's intact. Would you post a photo of your engine bay when you have a chance? It would really help me out.

Thanks,
Tom

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom