Cleaning off Hardened grease and dirt (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

knuckle47

I can’t get enough Land Cruiser
SILVER Star
Threads
Will be starting a good size project for an old fart in the fall… is there a great way to try and clean off the hard dry grease and dirt that has been stuck onto the underside of the FJ45 for probably the last few dozen years? I’ve noticed the pressure washer alone does a mediocre job but does take down some of it.

maybe someone has had a better experience with some combination of cleaners and a pressure washer. Once disassembled, I can use some other scrapers and fluids but I would love to eliminate needing to fight through all of that stuff just to get a wrench over a crusted over nut with a 1/4” of crud over it

Will be starting a good size project for an old fart in the fall… is there a great way to try and clean off the hard dry grease and dirt that has been stuck onto the underside of the FJ45 for probably the last few dozen years? I’ve noticed the pressure washer alone does a mediocre job but does take down some of it.

maybe someone has had a better experience with some combination of cleaners and a pressure washer. Once disassembled, I can use some other scrapers and fluids but I would love to eliminate needing to fight through all of that stuff just to get a wrench over a crusted over nut with a 1/4” of crud over it
I just rebuilt my knuckles and if they had ever been done before, it was a very long time ago. Thick grease and grime everywhere. I found the best way was to scrape first, wash second. Not quite as easy under the rig, I know. I did try some foaming degreaser that I tried under my rig but it didn’t do much good.

Try a hotsy pressure washer. Heated water.

If you're not going to be repainting the surface, I'd try a plastic putty knife to scrape off most of the crud, then a hot pressure washer. Then simple green and a nylon brush.

well it makes sense to go with the hot water washer. I’ll start looking for a rental somewhere. There is a lot of caked on gook And it is so much easier taking clean stuff apart rather than through that thick crap and hitting the parts washer. Great suggestion …thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom