For Sale Cleanest LO Miles '97 FJZ with clean MODS on the Market, Service records from NEW (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1997 40th Anniversary Toyota FJZ80 Land Cruiser for sale. I haven't seen a cleaner, lower mileage, tastefully modified Cruiser on the market or on the road.

Addendum (10/20/18):
Asking price: $31,900
Miles: 154k, 10k over past 3 years.

Story: Originally purchased in CO by a gentleman in the oil business. Eventually transported to Oklahoma after visiting Slee Offroad in Golden, CO (modifications below). Over the course of 19 years the truck was lightly driven and, to my knowledge, ever taken off road. The truck was sold to a Toyota dealer in Texas in 2017 where an employee took it home. He rarely drove it and ended up selling it to me to make room for a new SUV. The truck is now for sale because it doesn't fit in my new garage (need 6'10" clearance). Since purchasing the vehicle in early 2018 I changed the oil, balanced the wheels/tires, and had the truck inspected for mechanical faults of which none were found. As you will see in the photographs and maintenance records below, this truck was extremely well cared for and should drive for thousands of miles to come.

Headliner is tight, leather is in excellent shape, dash is amazing with no cracks in leather. Every switch and knob works perfectly, and all dash lights function properly.

EMAIL: twilson3985@gmail.com

Servicing (18K, late 2016):
1. FZFE Heater Hose Service: Drained radiator, replace LHH and hoses at heater valve, replaced coolant. Replaced radiator hoses, coolant hoses, water hose heater, throttle body coolant hose, throttle body. Replaced drive belts (A/C, alternator). Replaced gaskets.
2. Replaced spark plug wires and plugs.
3. Replaced distributor cap and rotor.
4. Serviced center differential lock.
5. Replaced front and rear sway bars, sway bar bushings
6. Replaced tie rods, steering drag link, steering tie rod.
7. Flushed and replaced transmission fluid, drained and filled transfer case
8. Drained and filled brake fluid
9. Replaced OEM fuel tank and gaskets
10. Front axle service, complete
11. Rear axle service, complete

Modifications (late 2016):
1. Old man emu (OME) front and rear coil suspension [OME 2.5" suspension lift]
2. OME front and rear sport shocks
3. OME steering damper
4. SLEE 'shortbus' high clearance front bumper
5. Warn M8000-S winch with synthetic line installed, remote control
6. ARB 7" driving lights with auxiliary switch install
7. SLEE rear bumper with tire carrier and ladder, extreme high lift jack
8. SLEE rock sliders
9. SLEE skid plate
10. 5 17" Toyota TRD wheels with BFG KO2 285/70/17 tires
11. Safari Snorkel
12. Front seat foam replaced

PLEASE email for more photos and service records. Service records from NEW.

LC45.jpg
LC48.jpg
LC1.JPG
LC2.JPG
LC45.jpg
LC48.jpg

View attachment 1790226

LC52.jpg

Last edited:
Man I’m tempted to BIN on eBay just to prove all you cheapos wrong. :flipoff2: But alas, no lockers would be a deal breaker for me.

It isn’t increasing in value without putting more money into it. The 2016 service is already starting to sound old.

Being modded someone will want this to drive. $30k is too much for an engine you might need to tear into in the near future. Maybe with a full rebuilt engine. Is it on the original head gasket?

The engine runs incredibly smooth. I'm amazed it's 20+ years old. Truck has been driven <6k miles since major servicing. Would a video of the engine running calm your nerves?

If it is still running the original head gasket I would want that replaced as well as the other while your in there items before any major excursion.

Compression, leakdown, and oil analysis might be fine but I would still have that done if this is being used as an overlander which I assume it was modded for.

If it was an all original collector vehicle that was never going to get driven far or need to be relied on it wouldn’t be such an issue.

Might not need it for another 50k or 100k but I wouldn’t be risking it anywhere far from home. That would be the whole appeal of paying a premium for a $30k+ land cruiser to be Baselined and bullet proof.

Maybe it was already completed in the major service and I missed it.

The dude can ask whatever he wants to ask for his 80.

4 pages of us criticizing his price....4900 views of drama, Why ???? Yeah I know....

Heres another free bump, BUT I would encourage everyone to stop bumping this up and let this thread die.

It is kind of entertaining. :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

GLWS bud

....:deadhorse:

The dude can ask whatever he wants to ask for his 80.

4 pages of us criticizing his price....4900 views of drama, Why ???? Yeah I know....

Heres another free bump, BUT I would encourage everyone to stop bumping this up and let this thread die.

It is kind of entertaining. :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

GLWS bud

....:deadhorse:

I realized long ago nobody on this forum is truly interested in purchasing my cruiser. At least to date. The truck has been dealer serviced at recommended intervals since purchase 20 years ago (see carfax). The criticism is entertaining. 1. "Haven't seen the truck locally"--Because I drive other vehicles more frequently, don't feel like listing on CL Milwaukee. 2. Overpriced. Perhaps. Perhaps not. 3. "Hiding" the vehicle--Why show it to someone not interested in purchasing? 4. Doesn't have the head gasket replaced--If a dealer thought it should be replaced it would have been done at a service interval. Valve gasket was replaced. 5. Photographed the truck in a park--some guy took umbrage with that. Must be a Bernie supporter. Call the cops. 6. Many comments regarding the cost of servicing/upgrades--What do you want me to say? The car wasn't serviced properly? The asking price should include 1/2 the cost of upgrades? 1/4? 7. What else?

LC40.jpg

LC41.jpg

LC42.jpg

LC43.jpg

LC44.jpg

I realized long ago nobody on this forum is truly interested in purchasing my cruiser. ...

Just to put this in perspective...

You joined Mud ONE MONTH AGO.
And your grand contribution to the forum is post an FS ad.
Which is a flip.

So don't piss on our shoes and tell us it's raining.
You're here for a single purpose, and that is to try to find a somebody with more money than brains so you can flip this rig. Nothing stopping you from doing that, nor is there anything wrong with the folks here calling that out.

And a good evening to you. It appears you are quite agitated, upset. It's time for this unproductive thread to end. If anyone wants to contact me I believe my email address is listed. Frequency change approved, squawk VFR.

I gotta say, I love when a flipper comes onto Mud and tries the flip among this crowd. Bravo. Weird thing though, flippers get less heat on the 100 forums. Interesting.

Thomas Wilson, you're getting heat because most guys on here have owned Cruisers for many years and probably owned more than 3 or 4, you're not going to find a sucker on this forum. I bought my first Cruiser 25 years ago and have owned.........hell I don't, a bunch. Point is, these guys know what they're worth and when someone prices one like you have, they're going to get heat. I've sold several Cruisers on MUD and I don't think one lasted more than a week and I sold one the first day. Truth is, I wouldn't think about high pricing one on this site, that's what ebay is for. Your rig is priced at least $10,000 too high and could be as much as $15,000 too high. Could you sell it for what you're asking? sure, there's dumb people all over the world but most don't have the money to prove it. You probably think we're a bunch of A$$ holes but you won't find a more helpful group of guys and girls. If you need help with a problem, someone is going to help but if they see you trying to take someone on a rig, you're going to get called out. I wasn't going to post again but by your responses, I don't think you get it.

Last edited:
Nice truck...looks well sorted

The most disappointing thing about this particular post is not that the seller me a twisted his vehicle to high. Anyone with common sense knows that the market will reset the price and if the vehicles sells we will all be enlightened. What's most disappointing is all the cretans and jackasses who have to entertain themselves on the classified section because I guess they have nothing to add to the tech section or any of the other 100+ areas where they could snivel and snicker back and forth like teenage girls. What good does it do to beat up on a newbie on the site. Does that promote the site? Does it help mud long-term if the site is entirely unwelcoming? I've been on this site for at least four years and I own three very nice 80 series, all of which I bought through this site and all of which I've got over $30,000 in a piece. So I would consider myself somewhat of an expert. I made my argument on what I thought his truck was worth weeks ago and didn't realize that 70 or 80 messages later you guys would still be acting like jerks. It makes those of us who are decent less likely to use the site. I believe most of it is envy and most of the people making these comments don't have the Nickels to rub together to buy the truck at half the price. If this thing sells for 27000 or 28,000 I'd be encouraged to sell one of my trucks. But I'm less encouraged or interested in selling it on Mud when we have to waste our time with giggling school girls trying to entertain each other from their parents basements or their one room Apartments. I buy from individuals and vendors on this site and I support this site and those who try to Market through it. But I'm far less inclined to log on when this environment exist. It's hard to believe grown men, if we can consider these to be grown men, have this much time on their hands ... or at least the one hand that's free to type while they're entertaining themselves

The Classified-parts section would be wayyyy better if it was by vehicle and this proves it. Everyone commenting here already has a truck. They just came to look at the goodies for sale (myself included)

The most disappointing thing about this particular post is not that the seller me a twisted his vehicle to high. Anyone with common sense knows that the market will reset the price and if the vehicles sells we will all be enlightened. What's most disappointing is all the cretans and jackasses who have to entertain themselves on the classified section because I guess they have nothing to add to the tech section or any of the other 100+ areas where they could snivel and snicker back and forth like teenage girls. What good does it do to beat up on a newbie on the site. Does that promote the site? Does it help mud long-term if the site is entirely unwelcoming? I've been on this site for at least four years and I own three very nice 80 series, all of which I bought through this site and all of which I've got over $30,000 in a piece. So I would consider myself somewhat of an expert. I made my argument on what I thought his truck was worth weeks ago and didn't realize that 70 or 80 messages later you guys would still be acting like jerks. It makes those of us who are decent less likely to use the site. I believe most of it is envy and most of the people making these comments don't have the Nickels to rub together to buy the truck at half the price. If this thing sells for 27000 or 28,000 I'd be encouraged to sell one of my trucks. But I'm less encouraged or interested in selling it on Mud when we have to waste our time with giggling school girls trying to entertain each other from their parents basements or their one room Apartments. I buy from individuals and vendors on this site and I support this site and those who try to Market through it. But I'm far less inclined to log on when this environment exist. It's hard to believe grown men, if we can consider these to be grown men, have this much time on their hands ... or at least the one hand that's free to type while they're entertaining themselves
Price bashing on 'MUD has been elevated to an art form and the majority of negative post come from members who have zero interest in the vehicle in the first place. I would NEVER place a vehicle in the classified section of this forum for that very reason.

Im gonna go ahead and say any press is good press here. Given the alternative of no one giving it a sniff, i think lots of comments put the seller in a better position. And all the gawking is because the collective recognizes that prices are going up but at 30k you can get a older 200 series, thats the big deal here. If 80 and 200 are at the same price point, thats big news.

This is a marketplace. Discussing price is appropriate; even part of the process. If you just want to execute a transaction, go trade the truck into a dealer or put it on CarGurus. This is Mud; its not that kind of market. I would never buy an 80 from a dealer; ever.

And GLWS, OP. Id be happy for you.

I totally agree with much of what you said but when you have idiots on here questioning whether the seller's Slee invoice is legitimate... then you have a problem. Takes 15 minutes and read through the entire post and all the responses and the prepubescent rapport is just exhausting. The gentleman who posted this truck for sale was belittled and trivialized because he was new to the site. That doesn't do any of us any good. The more people on this site the better. And if someone has a good truck or an average truck that they want to sell why not welcome them. I recently bought a 97 lx450 with 111k miles from a lady who posted it on mud. Her husband had ALS and they had barely driven the vehicle in 9 years. She needed to sell the truck for financial reasons and somehow she learned of this site . I was in Greece when I read her post. This is the power of this website . I bought the vehicle when I was halfway around the world . Thank God these retards and cretans didn't run her off the site before someone was able to buy her stock 80.

I totally agree with much of what you said but when you have idiots on here questioning whether the seller's Slee invoice is legitimate... then you have a problem. Takes 15 minutes and read through the entire post and all the responses and the prepubescent rapport is just exhausting. The gentleman who posted this truck for sale was belittled and trivialized because he was new to the site. That doesn't do any of us any good. The more people on this site the better. And if someone has a good truck or an average truck that they want to sell why not welcome them. I recently bought a 97 lx450 with 111k miles from a lady who posted it on mud. Her husband had ALS and they had barely driven the vehicle in 9 years. She needed to sell the truck for financial reasons and somehow she learned of this site . I was in Greece when I read her post. This is the power of this website . I bought the vehicle when I was halfway around the world . Thank God these retards and cretans didn't run her off the site before someone was able to buy her stock 80.

So, BuckCruiser (and others who made similar comments), you consider people who questioned this 80's price "retards and cretans"? Was the low mileage 80 you bought wildly over priced?

I think people should take a step back and appreciate a way of buying vehicle that brings in the knowledge of knowledgable enthusiasts. This site does that. Bring A Trailer, while deeply flawed, also does that. There are a few G Wagen and Porsche forums that also engage the wisdom of the membership. I like it a lot. I wish someone could figure out a way to apply this community engagement to houses.

I will skip insulting the reveal members above to threw out various insults to people they don't even now.

I'm pretty sure nobody questioned the legitimacy of the invoice. Just pointed out that the extent of the seller's knowledge of the build at Slee, was some paperwork. He never met that owner (per his statement, carfax etc.). The seller was also asked multiple times about lockers...did he ever answer? Questions about the motor work and head gasket? That really got him going.

This poor "newcomer" didn't contribute - not even a measley star, but merely joined to post his truck (flip or not). If the mods wanted it free of chatter and only from interested parties, they could have it that way. If you really read through all that and can say the seller was nothing but sweet, courteous and just trying to sell THE finest 80 to a smart buyer - I think you missed a whole lot of animosity from that gentlemen. A mud member was surprised about the location of a pic near a Veterans park he knows the area, seller gets butt-hurt and goes political (??), twice. Others (including yourself) point out his pricing. Again, he came back aggressively, not receptively. His entire tone went negative, quicklike . Id be careful who you label as saints and sinners around here.

You seem to be throwing a lot of stones in this glass house. You have 3 80's, are an expert and have hundreds posts (all contributory, none were after parts right?). You are right that not everyone has "two nickels" to rub together. Too bad they can't be banned from the classifieds. But what if maybe they saw one of your sweet rigs on the road, got that good old fashion feeling and said "I want one of those bad boys". In a perfect world, Joe "the one nickel" plumber finds Mud, does some reading, asks some questions and avoids some $35K CL trap. Maybe B&B helps find him a $700 cream puff.

That "mud = community = protection" door swings both ways man. All aboard for capitalism, just leave the hypocrisy back with your first post.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom