Clean solutions for securing water bottles? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My LX did not come with the cup holder divider, and the cup holders themselves are way too wide and not nearly deep enough to actually hold anything.

I need a way to securely mount one or two klean kanteen bottles. They tip out of the OEM cup holders, and are too tall to fit into the door pockets.

I've seen a few threads where folks add weatherstripping and similar on the inside of the cup holders to narrow down their size, but that seems rather messy.

Any other options around? I really hate not having an easily accessible water bottle.

I’m interested as well, I would love for someone to develop and sell and drop in cup holder fix.

I’ve considered blue ridge overland seat Molle panels and their bottle holders, but would prefer them in the console if possible.

Huge bottles fit the fridge obviously.

I was struggling with this exact issue. But I use hydro flask bottles. For day to day use, I put the rubber bottom on my bottle. It still a bit unstable but stays upright better and got rid of the clickety clack for on road use.

I also got a wrist band to wrap around it and I’ll test that this weekend for Offroad use. It’s not an elegant solution but I’m hoping it’ll keep the bottle in place.

Mine is an LC (2016), not an LX but we addressed this by putting beer can cozys on our Hydroflask bottles. Since we drive off pavement we needed something that was fairly secure. Some of the cozys (or kozys) are thicker than others. I have one from Moab that is fairly thick and snug. I also have a snap on one from a brewery in Seattle that works great.

Mine is an LC (2016), not an LX but we addressed this by putting beer can cozys on our Hydroflask bottles. Since we drive off pavement we needed something that was fairly secure. Some of the cozys (or kozys) are thicker than others. I have one from Moab that is fairly thick and snug. I also have a snap on one from a brewery in Seattle that works great.
This is a great idea. I’ll put a coozy over the rubber and that should be plenty thick and look better than a Nike wrist band. Hahaha.

Does anyone know why the 200's cup holders are so shallow?

Does anyone know why the 200's cup holders are so shallow?

There's probably something underneath them that requires the space. The shallowness is a huge problem for me - makes them more suitable for keys and wallet than anything containing any liquid.

Previously I've seen generic cupholders which have a "hook" (for lack of a better term) to hang off of something in the vehicle. I wonder if something like that can be made to work...

I got tired of the OEM cup holders (especially since I like to slide/extend the armrest forward, which covers the cup holders) and added one. I have an FZJ80 and this is a pretty popular mod for that generation. It takes some commitment as it's mounted with two screws. The cup holder is from a Land Rover Discovery (used from eBay). It has a removable insert/spacer to accommodate narrow and wide bottles/cups and the slot (clearance for a mug handle) can be pointed at the driver or the passenger. I cut out a portion of the cup holder with a Dremel so I could position it a little more forward and provide clearance for the little door that covers the USB slot; picture of removed material included below. I also used some shims to get it level. The bottles/cups pictured sit securely, but none of them fully bottom out; they get wedged in the ID taper.

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
6.JPG

This is why I go to the commercial Costco where they still sell 1 liter water bottles. They wedge into the cup holders really well—especially with my added foam liner strips I put in years ago. Also...you can cram up to three 1-liter bottles in each of the 4 door pockets.

Other that that...and 20oz Bubba coffee cups...the holders are pretty frustrating.

Toyota sucks at implementing usable cup holders and 12V auxiliary power sources.

Would really like to be a fly on the wall when they discuss these during R&D.

I could see the Germans being stubborn about something like cup holders but not the Japanese....

More ideas

I also read of some FJ Cruiser inserts working on the 100 series when I had our 06. I never got them so I'll try to find the thread and/or part no.

Here is the thread with a pic. Part number 55616-35010. Not sure if the space is the same size in a 200 but I may give them a shot.

May have been designed for a Saki Bottle?

Last edited:
Maybe a problem for @bhicks ? BH3D printing...

Maybe a problem for @bhicks ? BH3D printing...
I'm always open to developing new products if the demand is there and it appears by this thread that the demand is probably there. What I need is access to a 200 locally so I can pull dimensions from it and to do all of my prototyping on. Anyone in Socal near Big Bear?

I would gladly pay $50-$75 for a good solution to hold 12-32oz hydroflasks. My favorite bottle is a 40oz hydroflask, but I think the circumference is too large for that to even be an option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom