Chuck box/camp kitchen (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

20180303_142603.jpg

After my last camping & riding trip with "the guys", I came home and pared down my kitchen/cooking box. I haven't tried it out yet, but I have the contents saved on my computer, and there will be a paper list in the box itself. That way I can keep track of what I used and need to replace, what I might need to leave out, and what I might need to add next time.

Contents: Stove; Butane fuel cans - 2; Can opener; Measured containers - 2; Frying pan; Cook set with two 20 oz. bowls with lid/cutting boards, one spatula, one ladle, one 1.5L pot w/ lid; Cutting surface; Fillet knife; Wiener roasting fork; Hot pads - 2; Wooden utensils (12 knives; 12 spoons; 24 sporks); Chinet plates - 12; Paper towel roll - 2; Bottle of dish soap; Wash rag; Pack of 32 kitchen wipes - 2; Pack of 20 hand wipes; 1 gal. zip-lock bags - 10; 2.5 gal. zip-lock bags - 7; 30 gal. trash bags - 6; 42 gal. contractor-grade trash bag

I noticed your second posted thread. There is only one thing I would not do. Fuel and cooking equipment don't mix.
Don't put stoves/fuel in same container as everything else. It will contaminate with smell. Fuels, hydrocarbons absorb
into plastics readily.
I put everything in a box, but not camp stove or fuel.

This is the box loaded up.
Contents:
The stove, tent, Snow peak pot set, castiron skillet, percolator, MSR tea kettle, my Big Agnes holo filled air mattress, my pillow, some paper Christmas plates left over from last year, a few coffee cups and the green box. The green box holds spices, sugar, coffee utensils a chefs knife, flexible cutting board, my Opinel knife/corkscrew, foil, paper towels etc. etc. My sleeping bag is stored loose for the winter, it usually goes where the green box is. The green box is kept out and holds lunch stuff when I am on the trail.
20151213_134737_zpsfp0rcbrz.jpg
Love the Santa plates mainly because i can finally use this emoji :santa::santa::santa:

I'm a little surprised this site hasn't been mentioned:

Chuck Boxes & Camping Kitchens

I don't have one from them yet, but they will likely be the route I go for chuck box/camp kitchen.

Copy that! good find! purpose built and rad!

For the DIYer to mod, I'd look into these...
not as compact b/c base box is 2x size but co$t effective. :)

Last edited:

I don't have one from them yet, but they will likely be the route I go for chuck box/camp kitchen.
If you read through this thread, it was suggested in my post# 134:

I like it! The combination of bamboo, aluminum & stainless steel is well thought out and looks like it will do well. My only concern is the base. While looking very sturdy, it's been mentioned before about various setups - setting up on a hard uneven surface could be a problem. In your instructions you warn:
  1. Place the platform unit at a spot of your choice on firm, level ground.
    Alter the ground by wedging pieces of wood or rock under the unsupported legs to avoid wobbling.
    It is very important for the safety of operation that the Kitchen stands level and stable!
Individual adjustable legs such as on the Trail Kitchen might be an idea to incorporate for future versions.
I've got the Camp Kitchen model. Expensive, but works great for overlanding.

Last edited:
If you read through this thread, it was suggested in my post# 134:

I've got the Camp Kitchen model. Expensive, but works great for overlanding.

Was looking on my phone and didn’t see your post... that being said, very cool that you have one and like it!

I got mine from a guy in Fresno who sells all sort of surplus from his garAGE- I paid 60 bucks for 2 mint, then proceded to destroy one of them:doh:

Is that guy still around? I'm headed up through Fresno for a camping trip, and I'd like to drop by to see if he has boxes.

I am still trying to find the perfect setup. I bought a utility trailer that will be here in a month or so. I really liked the Drifta setup from AUS but with shipping it would be $1400USD and a 6 month wait to get it here. I tried to somewhat imitate their design. I want to be able to use it in the trailer and have it fit in the back of the cruiser, and I will put it on a cheap table with adjustable legs. I have not decided if I should permanently mount it on a table or just use it as needed. Including the table this cost me $241 in material to build. It is 1/2" Baltic Birch. With all my gear and my 17" Blackstone Griddle inside it is pretty heavy and really needs 2 people to carry. If I carry the Coleman stove instead it isn't too bad.

1A5D925F-F77E-4774-9C61-2DE66AC77322.jpeg

8BBA2295-BD26-4134-8CF1-87A517B2D770.jpeg

Scored this from the neighbor ... ;)
Not sure if it's a treasure or just "another thing" to store in the shed. LOL ;)

IMG_20200703_132936.jpg
IMG_20200703_132940.jpg
IMG_20200703_132949.jpg

(Maybe this is better in a camping equip thread. . . 🤔 )

(Maybe this is better in a camping equip thread. . . 🤔 )

you can always call it a spare. i do like the one detail that locates the tank in the stored position. going to do that to mine
I've not seen that before.

I am still trying to find the perfect setup. I bought a utility trailer that will be here in a month or so. I really liked the Drifta setup from AUS but with shipping it would be $1400USD and a 6 month wait to get it here. I tried to somewhat imitate their design. I want to be able to use it in the trailer and have it fit in the back of the cruiser, and I will put it on a cheap table with adjustable legs. I have not decided if I should permanently mount it on a table or just use it as needed. Including the table this cost me $241 in material to build. It is 1/2" Baltic Birch. With all my gear and my 17" Blackstone Griddle inside it is pretty heavy and really needs 2 people to carry. If I carry the Coleman stove instead it isn't too bad.

View attachment 2344489

View attachment 2344490
I like the wine box drawers! We have several in use around the house/garage/truck...

I like the wine box drawers! We have several in use around the house/garage/truck...
I was buying whiskey at my local store and saw them stacked. I think he charged me $8 each. I did have to modify them but easier than me trying to build them. I am not much of a carpenter.

Nice find! Those aren't priced outrageously expensive compared to most of the pre-built stuff you see these days, and they look pretty decent as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom