Chuck box/camp kitchen (11 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you don't find something that suits your needs, keep in mind that building your own is pretty straightforward. Try searching for "Boy Scouts chuck box plan" and you'll get lots of ideas.

If you do go that route, remember to watch the weight if it's wood. Of course, if you have lots of strong backs to move it, no problem and some Scout boxes assume that. I helped build several as a kid and built one a couple of years ago for our current camp outfit. Kind of wished it was lighter...but it sure is nice.:doh::)

Thanks for the Info! I'll check em out.
If you decide to build it yourself please post up pictures, most of the examples here on Mud are wood, something in stainless steel or aluminum would be cool.

Who out there can provide a link for camp kitchens? Looking for high quality construction and very functional.

Whatever you do, don't do my trick.
Problem 1: Broke and or cheap decided to build out of scraps in the garage
Problem 2: Build it to fit EVERYTHING

Issues with finished box include, since I used everything from 3/4" ply to particle board shelves the finished box weighed enough that I can't pick it up by myself. And that was empty.

Box is now 48" wide, 24" deep and 40" tall. It started as just a box I could fit my new coffeepot in with the lid on and ended up here. I can fit all my pots, pans (including cast iron), dishes, silverware, 4 days worth of canned goods, spices to make anything, flour, propane cartridges, matches, washtubs, lanterns , it goes on. I estimate loaded weight at 120#. One useful if somewhat heavy feature--the front fold-down door is made of 3 pieces of 1x12 oak and serves as a cutting/prep board when flopped down.

Ideas for the replacement:
-use lightweight materials--1/4" ply with 1x3" bracing 1/2" ply bottoms.
-build two or three boxes that 'nest.'
-ruthlessly reduce the amount of crap you are going to pack.
-use fold-down workspace on one box.

Jus' Sayin'.

@freepowder Take a look at this video. It will give you some ideas on how to build lighter and stronger.

Figure out your needs after a few trips and build box to fit.

@freepowder Take a look at this video. It will give you some ideas on how to build lighter and stronger.

Yep. That's about what I had in mind.

Figure out your needs after a few trips and build box to fit.
That's what I started out doing. I packed every thing in apple boxes. Never got past that stage since the apple boxes work so well.:lol:

Three boxes hold all of our gear and most of the dry food stuff we need for a long weekend camping trip. They pack into the back of the Cruiser nice and flat with plenty of room on top to stack other stuff. The boxes hold up for at least one or two seasons and are free to replace.

Here's a simple design I made for Corey a couple of years ago...pretty basic
coreys box.jpg

Got two of these at essex for a steel today
ForumRunner_20121027_132350.jpg
ForumRunner_20121027_132428.jpg

Last edited:
Got two of these at essax for a steel today

3 Questions: What is an 'essax'? Are they true 'Job-Box's made of steel, and if so, how many monies? What is the total payload shown in that photo? :p Looks like yr rig is earning its feed! :clap:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom