Chuck box/camp kitchen (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

20151213_135339_zpsic6ukdhl.jpg

That's what I'm planning. Set one up cooking and another as a table for eating at. Store the cooking equipment inside.

It works out well for me when I solo camp. I can get everything inside the chest including my tent and sleeping bag. That chest and a day pack for clothes are all I take when I camp out of the FJ40. I use to take a folding table and a lawn chair this will allow me to skip the folding table.

How stable is that setup?

I like it.

This is the box loaded up.
Contents:
The stove, tent, Snow peak pot set, castiron skillet, percolator, MSR tea kettle, my Big Agnes holo filled air mattress, my pillow, some paper Christmas plates left over from last year, a few coffee cups and the green box. The green box holds spices, sugar, coffee utensils a chefs knife, flexible cutting board, my Opinel knife/corkscrew, foil, paper towels etc. etc. My sleeping bag is stored loose for the winter, it usually goes where the green box is. The green box is kept out and holds lunch stuff when I am on the trail.
20151213_134737_zpsfp0rcbrz.jpg

Rusty, I'm impressed, you're down to motorcycle loading! That is a very cool bin.

How stable is that setup?

I like it.

I can sit on mine(135#) and rock back and forth w/o it coming off or wanting to fall over and that was on my bin w/o clips...might be a bit short to cook on for taller people, but it is perfect for me and I'm about 5'7ish. it'll hold a 426 stove just about perfectly...

This is the box loaded up.
Contents:
The stove, tent, Snow peak pot set, castiron skillet, percolator, MSR tea kettle, my Big Agnes holo filled air mattress, my pillow, some paper Christmas plates left over from last year, a few coffee cups and the green box. The green box holds spices, sugar, coffee utensils a chefs knife, flexible cutting board, my Opinel knife/corkscrew, foil, paper towels etc. etc. My sleeping bag is stored loose for the winter, it usually goes where the green box is. The green box is kept out and holds lunch stuff when I am on the trail.
20151213_134737_zpsfp0rcbrz.jpg

no toilet paper?

Rusty, I'm impressed, you're down to motorcycle loading! That is a very cool bin.
Thanks, it's not so much the lack of space in the FJ40 as the loading time. I can't garage my truck so it gets loaded the morning of a trip. The more compact and cohesive the load the faster I get on the road.

Thanks, it's not so much the lack of space in the FJ40 as the loading time. I can't garage my truck so it gets loaded the morning of a trip. The more compact and cohesive the load the faster I get on the road.

Where does one find the best price on these medical cases?

Thanks!

I got mine from a guy in Fresno who sells all sort of surplus from his garAGE- I paid 60 bucks for 2 mint, then proceded to destroy one of them:doh:

Colemans looks like they are selling any of the three sizes for the 80 bucks...the bigger boxes are going to be quite heavy when full...

I don't get to Fresno, but I drive thru Beatty several times a year... guess I need to stop once in a while :)

I've found them on ebay, but they are $120 and up... each

Colemans looks like they are selling any of the three sizes for the 80 bucks...the bigger boxes are going to be quite heavy when full...

Coleman's pricing is good... shipping almost doubles the price to $153 for a medium case :(

There's a surplus place in North Las Vegas (Hahn's Surplus and Survival) that's been around for 40? years... they say they carry them, but the half dozen times I've been in the last two years, they have not had them. I'll try again today..

I don't get to Fresno, but I drive thru Beatty several times a year... guess I need to stop once in a while :)

I've found them on ebay, but they are $120 and up... each
He is on the north end of town.
I always stop at Eddie World too, it is the ultimate road trip supply stop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom