Build Chronicles of Bonnie and Clyde

Member Builds and Stories

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm a little disoriented Jon as to what is where. Are you working backwards and that's the rear crossmember? Are you going to have a square hole that you need to patch in the crossmember or elsewhere in the frame? I think my confusion is you started cutting a round tube and somehow morphed into a square tube.
 
Last edited:
@WarDamnEagle
This was likely an option few chose to have added from the factory. Words really don't explain it...probably reason why it wasn't a popular option. I like to think for some unknown godly reason the rear frame was beefed up with multiple 1/4 braces, one of which attached the end of the hitch sleeve because it must have been painfully obvious to the engineers you couldn't safely pull a 20k trailer the way it was. So additional measures were taken to reinforce the hitch sleeve and it was also welded to the rear crossmember. Mostly to make it a total f***ing mess to get freed up.

Once this is free I can cut the pipe off the spare tire cross member and where it is firmly welded in place to the mechanism to lower the spare...

The precision is impressive considering it was done without CAD or 3D renditions.

1785439961083.webp
 
@WarDamnEagle
This was likely an option few chose to have added from the factory. Words really don't explain it...probably reason why it wasn't a popular option.

The precision is impressive considering it was done without CAD or 3D renditions.
I personally don't think that was from the factory Jon regardless of how well it was done....but I've been wrong before.
 
So on a serious note, why would they have put that tube in there? Maybe whoever owned it had a flat one night and couldn't hit the hole to get the spare down? Took it to his local fix um up boys and said give me a foolproof sleeve? Boggles the mind.
 
Steve shared more progress on Bonnie. We are pretty excited to get her home!

Working out some quirks with AC compressor clutch issues. Fuel sender acting up. Brakes also acting up so he is looking into the booster.

Closer every day!

IMG_6076.webp


IMG_6074.webp


IMG_6073.webp


IMG_5990.webp


IMG_5991.webp
 
I would think a torch and or plasma will be your best bet. Looks like it’s gonna need some clean up either way. I haven’t seen anything like that round tube before.
 
I would think a torch and or plasma will be your best bet. Looks like it’s gonna need some clean up either way. I haven’t seen anything like that round tube before.
Home grown remedy to what we don’t know.

Neighbor has torch and it’s only suppose to be 91 tomorrow so gonna see if he can help me out.

Probably no takers today since heat index suppose to be 115.
 
Jon, I was in the shop this morning and took a look at my frame. You are missing the rear crossmember that serves as the gas tank support. It also has the guide for the rod used to lower the spare. So I assume that one has/had an aftermarket tank? Apologies if I'm not keeping up with the story properly. Just thinking this extra tube, etc. might have been a tow hitch, larger tank combo project.

1785593299319.webp
 
Getting so close to finish line then Steve calls and says that gas tank lining appears to be breaking down and clogging up fuel filters. This with only small amount of fuel.

Looking back Red Kote that I used was suppose to work with ethanol mixtures so no clue what happened?

Soooooo, looks like we are going to have somewhere around 30 gallon tank made to go under Bonnie which will be a great upgrade. In tank fuel pump and all the fancy stuff.
 
I had used kreem tank sealer on every motorcycle restoration I have ever done from bikes around the 1920’s to early 1940’s. Only had an issue once due to the mixture’s failure to bond with the raw metal surface inside the tank. I got lucky when it pulled out of the filler neck like a deflated ballon. Some flakes plagued for a while as fuel filters in the 1930’s were just screens. I think you’re doing the best option with a new tank. 👏
 
I had used kreem tank sealer on every motorcycle restoration I have ever done from bikes around the 1920’s to early 1940’s. Only had an issue once due to the mixture’s failure to bond with the raw metal surface inside the tank. I got lucky when it pulled out of the filler neck like a deflated ballon. Some flakes plagued for a while as fuel filters in the 1930’s were just screens. I think you’re doing the best option with a new tank. 👏
Al what sucks is I worked that tank over. Made sure everything was perfect.

However, in light of what has happened having tank made is the right thing to do.

I’ll keep the tank, throw some acetone in it and see if I can’t clean all the crap out and save for later.
 
If I remember correctly…they use methyl ethyl ketone to dry the metal in the tank fully before coating it.

MEK can also be used to hyper-activate adhesive on the back of stuff like adhesive Velcro and stuff like it. Dap a little on the sticky tape and then press and let dry to the surface……REMARKABLE!

brought up that totally out of context thought, just in case
 
Al what sucks is I worked that tank over. Made sure everything was perfect.

However, in light of what has happened having tank made is the right thing to do.

I’ll keep the tank, throw some acetone in it and see if I can’t clean all the crap out and save for later.
Spare tire plans?
 
If I remember correctly…they use methyl ethyl ketone to dry the metal in the tank fully before coating it.

MEK can also be used to hyper-activate adhesive on the back of stuff like adhesive Velcro and stuff like it. Dap a little on the sticky tape and then press and let dry to the surface……REMARKABLE!

brought up that totally out of context thought, just in case
I actually did use MEK after I wasn’t pleased with just flushing. Not sure what I could have done different to help it bind in tank. It’s what it is and we will move forward and remove any doubts with fuel delivery.
 
Spare tire plans?
Jim when browsing threads about spare tire carriers I ran across where you were selling that SOR carrier that I passed on when looking at things when we picked up Bonnie. .

Go figure....I hoard all the wrong stuff I guess.

Kim and I have you and the family in our prayers my friend.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom