Christmas Tree Run (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So, will it be 550/528 at 9:00-9:30?

Let's plan on 9am at 528/550 folks. This will give us enough time to BS and get up to Walatowa to meet up with the rest of the group around 1030am.

Is that good for the folks coming from the north?

David--I want that axle. Please bring it with.

:)

Let's plan on 9am at 528/550 folks. This will give us enough time to BS and get up to Walatowa to meet up with the rest of the group around 1030am.

Is that good for the folks coming from the north?

David--I want that axle. Please bring it with.

:)

But wait, aren't you suppose to be camping up there already?

Where?

Any idea of where the run will be or expected conditions? I finally got a spare tire and would like to go but proabaly won't be able to get to my tire chains and my treads are getting pretty thin.

Any idea of where the run will be or expected conditions? I finally got a spare tire and would like to go but proabaly won't be able to get to my tire chains and my treads are getting pretty thin.

Lookin like the Jemez....I have no idea how much snow they do or do not have.

The BCFD Station 10 crew plans on attending. What freqency will we be using?

Rick

I was up there today. There is a maximum of about 4" up high.

simple yes or no will suffice :flipoff2:

We'll be there.

Last edited:
The BCFD Station 10 crew plans on attending. What freqency will we be using?

Rick

count on 146.46 ham or ch40 cb for starters.

I am torn, everything I am involved in, has an event on that same day. :bang:

simple yes or no will suffice :flipoff2:

Thanks for the useless commentary, Ash. I just wanted to know if there had been any off-line discussion about where the group intendented to go. My rig is not up to it's former glory and I would like to be back home by nightfall to be at the Corrales Holiday parade in order to see my kids. An 18 hour recovery effort in upper Paliza is unattractive.

Last edited:
My drill in CA was cancelled, so we'll be there.

Looks to be near 60 on Fri/Sat, should I bring Gore-Tex or a tank-top:rolleyes:

Looks to be near 60 on Fri/Sat, should I bring Gore-Tex or a tank-top:rolleyes:

Yes! You may want both.

I will plan on being at Walatowa no later than 10:30. I'll see everybody there!

Just a heads up: the NM Four Wheelers are planning on doing the same run and meeting at the same gas station at 8:30 and departing at 9:00 am, on the same saturday!

----------------------------------------------------
More info from the trail leader, Tony:
Good evening everyone,

The Christmas tree run is this Saturday, December 4th. I’ll lead and Justin will tail gun.

We’ll meet at the Conoco Station at 528 and NM 550 at 8:30 and depart at 9:00 a.m. We’ll stop at Walatowa Visitor Center for tree permits. Anyone who wishes can buy a permit this week at the FS Southwest Regional Office at 333 Broadway SE and, of course, nontree folks are welcome. After Walatowa, we’ll proceed northerly on SR 485 to FR 376 and then to FR 144. We’ll stop for lunch and trees and, depending upon trees, we may proceed further northward on FR 144. We’ll likely be back in Rio Rancho at 3:30 or 4:00. As of tonight, Saturday’s forecast is sunny and clear but be prepared for anything!

Remember to bring ratchet straps and/or good rope. Bungees are not a good idea.

Stock vehicles are fine. Hot cocoa is perfect!

The kids will love this trip.

Let me know if you’re coming but the fun begins at 550 and 528 at 9:00 a.m.

Thanks,

Tony Louderbough
99 TJ

Last edited:
Just a heads up: the NM Four Wheelers are planning on doing the same run and meeting at the same gas station at 8:30 and departing at 9:00 am, on the same saturday!

we usually run into them. a couple years, we have even joined up and run together. this year, I have a feeling we will have a really big turn out. probably not as good an idea to have 30 vehicles on a run.:D

It's a pretty big area. I am sure we can get lost without their help!

:lol:

EDIT: If the weather looks good with little snow, I might bring the 60 up on this trip....

:lol:

Last edited:
I say we decide the general route based on the advice given at Walatowa. And we should probably avoid wherever NM4W goes so we don't have a massive train of vehicles. And it should be stocker friendly, so Paliza is not an option.

What advice are you looking for at walatowa? I haven't heard of any road closures, yet, but I will ask to be sure. Trees are everywhere, Doug-fir and white fir lower, blue spruce in cold drainages and Engelmann spruce up high. Spruce budworm was bad again this year, so it might not be easy to find trees with full foliage on the tops.

when is everyone meeting for the Xmas tree run?

What is the meeting time at the visitor center for the Xmas tree run?
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom