Christmas Tree Run

Discussion in 'NM- High Desert Cruisers' started by VELARDECHILE, Nov 6, 2010.

1. VELARDECHILE

VELARDECHILE

Hello there!
    Been off the grid for awhile...
    Still have my '91 TLC, all stock, runs like a champ!
    Wondering when the Christmas tree run was being scheduled. My friend just purchased a 90's LR Discovery...Got to take him and his familia out! They want to go into the wilderness and do some tree clearing! lol. Amazing how a vehicle can make you want to be in the outdoors.
    Hope everyone is doing well!:beer:
    Tim

2. BionicCruiser

BionicCruiser

we will discuss it this meeting tonight. just FYI, we have bad luck/history with land rovers on the tree run...:lol:
    ask anyone that was here then about it. it's quite the story. :D

3. VELARDECHILE

VELARDECHILE

Thank you for the reply.
    OK...who's gonna give me the low-down on that story. I will keep my friend updated. hehehe

4. 2manycruisers

2manycruisers

left the oldest US capital for the US capital
    You probably can find the story in past threads on xmas tree runs. Let's just say it started the trip as a really nice disco.:eek:

5. BionicCruiser

BionicCruiser

and ended with a ripped tire, missing rear diff plug, dented passenger door, bush guard pushed back almost into the grill and a nonfunctioning rear airbag system...:eek::eek:

6. BionicCruiser

BionicCruiser

and the 100% stock '98 4runner that was along, didn't even have brush scratches.

7. BionicCruiser

BionicCruiser

date set

oh, and per the meeting minutes thread, the date has been set for Saturday, December 4th. we will stop at the Walatowa Visitor Center for anyone that wants a tree to get a permit. you don't have to be getting a tree to come along on the run.

this is traditionally a big run for us, as people come out of the woodwork that have never been on a run or have very limited 4x4 experience in the snow. we will help and include everyone, but be prepared that accidents and damage to your vehicle can happen. nobody will be left behind, and if necessary, we will do a recovery run on Sunday to get a vehicle that is too stuck or broken down, out. we have never left a truck more than overnight on a tree run. some years go without a hitch, and a few years have been "adventurous" to say the least. we have had very little vehicle damage on these runs, but the Land Rover story that is coming out above in this thread, has become our (almost) worst case scenario story. there is another story that rivals it from a different (more recent)year. so just be prepared with extra food and water, warm clothes, sleeping bags, etc., as a minimum. also, many of these runs have been very long. some years we are home by dark, some years it's 2am. tell loved ones staying home not to panic and check this thread into the next day for details if you are not home.

however, it is always a very fun run, so please don't be scared away by all this talk, just be prepared. much more of these suggestions will be added here I'm sure, so fire away.

8. pappy

pappy photosynthesizing Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    It was on this second event that we realized how important communication is. Many of us, because of this event, have gone to ham radio, but a CB will do just fine. But, you must have one in order to keep communication with the rest of the group. If you don't have a radio, and don't want to make the investment yet, just speak up. We have plenty of loaner radios available.

9. beno

beno Gihee Arakawa Moderator GOLD Star

Media:
    Albums:
    In.

Just got back from the Jemez myself today. There are tons of "Road Closed" signs every where including lots off of FR 396. Took some pretty challenging roads up FR 488. Nice rocks, mud pits, etc.

I picked up 2 huge bags of trash just from tooling around the trails today. No wonder they close trails.

10. Voodoo FJ

Voodoo FJ

How early does this run start? Sounds like fun for us Toyota's; i can't imagine what would happen if someone brought a jeep!

11. pappy

Media:
    Albums:
    Actually, I would feel more comfortable with a Jeep along. New Mexico 4 Wheelers do a tree run about the same time.

12. Voodoo FJ

Voodoo FJ

What about hand held radios? Are they good enough for this run?

13. pappy

Media:
    Albums:
    FRS/GMRS? No, we tried those and they did not work well. Handheld CB does fine, and it's what I loan out.

14. Beowulf

Beowulf

Several of us with dual band amateur radios can communicate with the FSR/GMSR radios but as Jon mentions, they don't work well. We usually have a few HTs and CBs for loaners.

We don't require everyone to have a radio but we STRONGLY recommend it; especially if a vehicle leaves the main group for any reason.

-Mike-

15. fl4031003

fl4031003 SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    tree run

Wish I could go, sound like fun. I have other commitments for Saturday morning, :cheers:

16. Voodoo FJ

Voodoo FJ

Glad you feel OK about jeeps. I have a few friends with jeeps, but I wanted a Toyota.

17. Rudical

Rudical

I am not for sure yet, but I would like to make this run. Even if I don't make it, I have a CB and chainsaw if anyone in the group needs to borrow them. Just let me know.

18. 99VX

99VX

I would like to join you guys for this run. I should have the vehicross running again sometime next week (althought that's probably too optimistic) and I love wheelin' in the snow.

19. fj80404

fj80404

Hey Boicruiser, Lopez, Opel, Sadbery. R.Srad would like to join if its cool.
    Thats if we can hang with you guys.

20. BionicCruiser

BionicCruiser

I guess you guys are cool enough.:flipoff2:

get on it! is Opel bringing a mog? we can all camp out in the new one if we all get stuck and have to spend the night.:lol:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.