Christmas Tree Run (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

we have had very little vehicle damage on these runs, but the Land Rover story that is coming out above in this thread, has become our (almost) worst case scenario story. there is another story that rivals it from a different (more recent)year.

At least those LRs made it out on their own, with good recovery work. Unlike the two Toyotas that had to be left over night on the trail couple of years back, and then we spent the entire following day recovering them. :rolleyes:

Looks like I'm out - again. My dates of drill were changed to that weekend, so I'll be donning Marine Green in California....

If any one else is interested, I will be camping out that night up in the Jemez depending on the weather, and meet up with another group going up the next day (Sunday, December 5th) to also get their trees. These are mechanics from American Toyota going the next day.

If any one else is interested, I will be camping out that night up in the Jemez depending on the weather, and meet up with another group going up the next day (Sunday, December 5th) to also get their trees. These are mechanics from American Toyota going the next day.

You are a hardcore camper, dude!! :eek:

You are a hardcore camper, dude!! :eek:

Nah, as long as you have good gear you can be perfectly comfortable. On a long roadtrip years ago the ex and I camped when it got down to 15 or maybe lower but we had the right clothing/gear and were snug as bugs... ;)

Hey Biohazard,, You bringing current brew. Dont forget we have the cabin 2 miles from Los ojos (good beer and food). Also got 6.5 Long block, I now have all my Hard parts, including finishing the
np208/fj60doubler. The thing is badas^.

Hey Biohazard,, You bringing current brew. Dont forget we have the cabin 2 miles from Los ojos (good beer and food). Also got 6.5 Long block, I now have all my Hard parts, including finishing the
np208/fj60doubler. The thing is badas^.

great cabin idea, except I work the next day. you are crazy for pulling a perfectly good 1FZ for a diesel. but then, maybe crazy like a fox...
and we do need to work a brew swap again. glad you guys are coming along for the run.

If any one else is interested....

Text me when the plans firm up. Rusty and I are ready for some camping.
-Mike-

Text me when the plans firm up. Rusty and I are ready for some camping.
-Mike-

Wow, another hard core camper!! By that time, it should be like 25 degrees at night up there, no?

Wow, another hard core camper!! By that time, it should be like 25 degrees at night up there, no?

Probably colder, depending on how high you get.

I went on WAY too many COLD camping trips around NM in Dec - Feb when I was in the Scouts. That was enough for my lifetime.

Ever been at the top of Mt. Taylor in Feb.? I did it twice. We called it the Klondike Derby. About 100 scouts and leaders from the Alb. area would participate in an obstacle/skills/sled course where the scouts had to build a sled (before the event) they could pull through the course a couple miles long. There was an equipment list of the things to put on your sled. The boys pulled the sled. You had to stop at stations every 1/4 mile or so and demonstrate skills you'd learned as a scout (first aid, fire starting, emergency preparedness, etc.) Your patrol racked up points as you went depending on how well you did at each station and how quickly you got through the course. I remember despite all of us being fairly well prepared for the overnight temps in the single digits, it was still FREAKING cold.

Last edited:
... and those will be lifetime memories of those camping trips. Non-scouts that were at home playing video games won't remember a thing about those very same weekends.

"On my honor, I will ... "

-Mike-

"...do my best, to do my duty, to God and my country...." We were cold but we still had fun. I have more memories than I can count, nearly all of them positive. I only hope Colin stays interested in Scouts long enough for me to get to be a Boy Scout again. Cub Scouts is ok but Boy Scouts is when the real fun starts.

To keep this thread on track, I'd say we are likely to attend the Christams Tree Run (as long as it isn't Paliza)

If anyone can't make it on the 4th and wants to try another date I'd be in.

Just camped out for an elk hunt this past weekend. Tents all the way, baby. Crying about the cold won't make it better. Bring more clothes and you will be fine. I slept with my sleeping bag half zipped and a down jacket for the upper (I hate my arms stuck in the bag). Had an extra sleeping bag to pull over me if I needed. Never once got cold.

I rocked the Klondike a few times myself, got blown around on Mount Hood in a whiteout, and walked to work in the middle of winter in Maine. Cold is about being in the right frame of mind.

G

Welcome to Feathered Friends

Thank me later.

Cold is about being in the right frame of mind.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this. I always remind myself that I have been cold before, and I'll be cold again. So this cold is just no big deal.

Dan

Time to firm up some plans for next weekend! I will be coming down from Red River Saturday morning and will plan to meet you guys (and gals) at Walatowa. The question is what time? I would guesstimate 10:30, if you are planning to meet at 528/550 at 9:00, then you will gas up, get supplies, and talk about trucks until at least 9:30 before hitting the road.

Looking forward to it! Still hoping for some snow, but it will be fun regardless.

So, will it be 550/528 at 9:00-9:30?

FRS/GMRS? No, we tried those and they did not work well. Handheld CB does fine, and it's what I loan out.

Could you let me borrow one of your radios this next Saturday?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom