Builds Chicken's GX (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Something relatively easy to do while the nugget naps, replacing the back lighting on a lot of the interior switches.
A handful were burnt out, so Im replacing them with LEDs and color swapping to red (supposed to be easier on your eyes in the dark).
Got the first few done already.
Bulbs I used: https://amzn.to/3vOV5KR

before
1706301868959.png

After
1706301881969.png

(looks much better in person - hard to get a decent shot in such low light)

Didnt bother with the mirror controls... still working on a folding mirror setup and will use a different control.

That would have been smart lol.
I didnt realize how bad the speakers really were till after I had already done the drivers side. They sound fine with lower volume, but sound blown out once you start cranking it up.

For s***s-n-giggles, I checked out Crutchfield and could replace the front and rear main speakers (on both sides of the car) with some rockford fosgate speakers for sub $200.. might be worth it now.
I went with the Kickers and they work great. Pretty inexpensive set up.

c2dfd5d3ed6db7974c89ae5a5e9e51e0.png

Will try for speaker install later this week once the rain comes back.
While its shockingly nice out today/tomorrow for Jan (68-70 degrees and sunny), I want to get some painting done.

Removed the OEM grill, nice and surprised that only 2 of the 8 tabs were broke :) Shot it with some CA glue and activator to hold them in place, and then laid some JB weld all around to try and keep em on.

While the grill is out, im going to paint it and throw in some LEDs. I got a spray can of OEM Ash Blue Mica made up, im going to color match the grill and the window vents I got. Ive only seen folks black out the grill, which does look good. I cant really picture how a paint matched grill (with black emblem) will look. If I like it, deff something on the unique side of things... if it looks like doo, ill paint it black lol.

1706481131696.png

1706481149502.png

I'm actually planning to replace my grille with SRQ's in the near future.. you keeping yours?
Yea no plan for aftermarket.. Nothing really ticks all the boxes for me, especially for the prices..

Grill and vents sanded down vs painted and clear coated
1706905805888.png

wrapped the emblem
1706905852631.png

Test fit to see how it looks... I think I like it. Before bolting it back up, ill throw some slim LEDs on there.
1706906002999.png

Also got the speakers swapped out. Just a quick test in the garage, sounds soooooo much better.
Im trying to wait to install the window vents since i would have to remove them when swapping out mirrors for folding ones. We shall see!

Yea no plan for aftermarket.. Nothing really ticks all the boxes for me, especially for the prices..

Grill and vents sanded down vs painted and clear coated
View attachment 3548536

wrapped the emblem
View attachment 3548537

Test fit to see how it looks... I think I like it. Before bolting it back up, ill throw some slim LEDs on there.
View attachment 3548540

Also got the speakers swapped out. Just a quick test in the garage, sounds soooooo much better.
Im trying to wait to install the window vents since i would have to remove them when swapping out mirrors for folding ones. We shall see!
Bro your license plate is PERFECT hahaha.

When I first bought the GX, already over 2 months ago lol, the muffler was loose, and I have an exhaust leak near the rear. Once I got under there I saw that the muffler was totally rusted off in front of the rear axel - so I "fixed it" :D
1707268804944.png

Problem solved, more or less.. but how it had broken off, the exhaust was shooting directly to the underside of the car, and I didnt like that. Figured id drop it at an exhaust shop soon and have them throw something basic on there... Then I saw someone on the GXOR FB group post this guy: https://amzn.to/3HMlM5M and figured that would be quick/easy/cheap.

So got under there today while nugget 2.0 was napping and got it on. Cut some more back and threw the tip on. Now the exhaust at least points towards the ground and not directly to the underside of the body.

1707268990421.png

When I first bought the GX, already over 2 months ago lol, the muffler was loose, and I have an exhaust leak near the rear. Once I got under there I saw that the muffler was totally rusted off in front of the rear axel - so I "fixed it" :D
View attachment 3552285

Problem solved, more or less.. but how it had broken off, the exhaust was shooting directly to the underside of the car, and I didnt like that. Figured id drop it at an exhaust shop soon and have them throw something basic on there... Then I saw someone on the GXOR FB group post this guy: https://amzn.to/3HMlM5M and figured that would be quick/easy/cheap.

So got under there today while nugget 2.0 was napping and got it on. Cut some more back and threw the tip on. Now the exhaust at least points towards the ground and not directly to the underside of the body.

View attachment 3552288
Nice work haha. I'm planning to buy the aFe MachFORCE XP later this year: https://throtl.com/products/afe-mac...xus-gx470-v8-4-7l-409s-49-46016-p#about-brand

My dad has that same one but in dark blue (in fact my whole family has owned a GX)! Might want to get something to polish up those headlights.
It's pretty easy to get a new set of lights and black out the interior of them (which I what I did), and it would look great on your rig :).

My dad has that same one but in dark blue (in fact my whole family has owned a GX)! Might want to get something to polish up those headlights.

It's pretty easy to get a new set of lights and black out the interior of them (which I what I did), and it would look great on your rig :).

Yup the original lights bug me. I was going to do aftermarket, but seems it can really be hit and miss on longevity of them.. and a lot are more expensive than OEM..

I think ive landed on just getting the OEM Sport headlights.. bit darker and more modern. Bell Lexus (dealer a ton of folks from the FB group purchase from) usually has the set under $500 and on sale for under $400 from what ive been seeing. Might try to hold out till the next time they're on sale.

I also threw on the blue/blue/white TRD grill emblem yesterday. Shockingly, no pic.. so here's a generic lol
1707351896099.png

Mine had new Depos in it when I bought it ~3 years ago and they've held up good. But at just $400 for OEMs, I'd go that route if I were buying them myself.

Mine had new Depos in it when I bought it ~3 years ago and they've held up good. But at just $400 for OEMs, I'd go that route if I were buying them myself.
Yea when aftermarket isnt a landslide cheaper than OEM.. I will generally go OEM. Especially if there are no real advantages or upgrades.

Stay away from USR (Unique style racing) headlamps. On my second set , less than a year and already peeling and foggy inside
Yup Ive read more than a couple folks saying that about them.. which is a bummer because they look great IMO.

Fog lights for lunch today ;)

1707425039056.png

Doin the "fog light mod" since I got these working set for $40. Figured if I messed up, or dont end up liking them, no big deal.
Im going to remove the wires from the OEM housing and solder them to the wires on the LED pods, making them truly plug-n-play with the factory harness. Will be easy to sell them in the future if I go another route later on.

At first I put them in for 9 mins @ 225 degrees. Wasnt enough.. So I put them back in for about 7 mins @ 250 degrees and that did the trick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom