Builds Chicken's GX (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Black 470 badge arrived yesterday, havnt had time to install it yet. It is a hair smaller than OEM, but for less than $9 shipped.... lol
1704897313062.png

Why I want to get power folding mirrors.....
1704897355430.png

1704897368848.png

Id say I cant get closer than that without hitting the mirror lmfao.
Last weekend I heated up the white bracket ends so I could fold them up like that too, gaining another couple inches.

And it's in!
1704931544484.png

Literally plug-n-play, and there's only 1 plug it can fit into.. so pretty idiot proof. Unplug OEM CD player, plug adapter in.
1704931595916.png

1704931612796.png

I just put the box behind the cig lighter area.. just dropped it back there... if it ends up rattling at all, super easy to pull it out and fix it.

Honestly, this is probably one of the easiest things ive done on the GX so far, easier than some of the trim wrapping lmao. From start to finish with everything put back together, about 40 mins..
Sounds great, test phone call with the wife went well too. It connects the BT audio faster than my 2018 Crosstrek and my wife's 2021 Telluride.

Picked up a set of Yakima Timberline mounts, for free from a good friend :)
Then picked up some used Yakima Corebars and ordered another set of Yakima SKS lock cores to match my existing locks.

So for the full system, im into it for roughly $75, cant complain about that.

Thus when I was rummaging through the garage to make sure I didnt stash any lock cores away (and found none), I tweaked my back, doing absolutely nothing.... like no joke lol. I wasnt lifting or carrying anything, just wham. Might have a bulging disc.. ive been more or less laying down since Sat evening. Lots of ibuprofen, heat pads, and laying down. So might be a while before installing that all on the roof.

Also all the parts for my 3rd row storage solution arrived over the weekend... again on hold till im back - literally hehe

Back still messed up, but sloooowly better, and got a minor steroid prescribed to help heal it faster.

Slowly installed the Yak Timberline mounts and corebars.. forgot pics.
Also removed the passenger side front/rear door panels to get the wood trim off.. parked it back up against the garage wall and wait to fine a time to wrap them.

1705793084994.png

Great stuff! Swapping the speakers while you're in there?
That would have been smart lol.
I didnt realize how bad the speakers really were till after I had already done the drivers side. They sound fine with lower volume, but sound blown out once you start cranking it up.

For s***s-n-giggles, I checked out Crutchfield and could replace the front and rear main speakers (on both sides of the car) with some rockford fosgate speakers for sub $200.. might be worth it now.

Also, when I installed the Yakima rack, I wanted to remove the OEM crossbars. Thought I could just pull the painted caps off the front of the OEM roof rack and slide the crossbars out... nope.

AND the plastic covers are BRITTLE.. The drivers side chipped off two pieces using a plastic pry tool. The passenger side I just used my hand and it was even worse 😠 . So I used some CA Glue to put the pieces back together and seem seal the crack on the other.. The said F-it and wrap them to hide the imperfections lolol. Had zero plans of doing this.. but here we are.
1705934258043.png

1705934269516.png

Had no intentions of installing any type of aftermarket rack on the car... but now it might make it onto my longer term list of things to do.
As the car sits, with the raised Yakima rack, I have about 5 inches between the top of the rack and the opening to my garage.. so if I ever want to put a lift on, or larger tires, that could become an issue.

Figure dropping the Yak rack would gain me 3 inches or maybe slightly more. OEM rack is fairly tall off the roof of the car and I believe most aftermarket are the same, if not even slimmer.

1705934444650.png

Wife's first day back to work since maternity leave with nugget 2.0, so I started 2.5 weeks of paternity leave today.
Getting some tinker time while he's taking naps during the day. Started my storage project for the 3rd row seats. Saw a few folks on the GXOR FB group dp this, but I wanted to improve upon it. Mostly done, but want to go over the top with the bracket if the cost/time is worth it.

I also plan on making a separate DIY thread with step by step if anyone else wants to mimic/improve on the idea. Teaser for now
1706152412461.png

1706152428638.png

Wow…you are certainly making your GX470 one of a kind. Nice work.

If you want to lower your roof rack crossbars…there’s aftermarket crossbars that fit in the factory rails.

And for the new speakers, did you have to worry about the Mark Levinson 8 ohm impedance?

Wow…you are certainly making your GX470 one of a kind. Nice work.

If you want to lower your roof rack crossbars…there’s aftermarket crossbars that fit in the factory rails.

And for the new speakers, did you have to worry about the Mark Levinson 8 ohm impedance?
Thank you :)
Do you remember the name of the aftermarket bars that lower?

Luckily, I do not have a ML sound system in the car, ive read those can be a bigger pain in the butt to mess with.

Thank you :)
Do you remember the name of the aftermarket bars that lower?

Luckily, I do not have a ML sound system in the car, ive read those can be a bigger pain in the butt to mess with.
There’s a handful of places that sell aftermarket crossbars for the gx470

Look for LFD, GX Basecamp, or Rago. There might be others but those 3 come to mind.

There’s a handful of places that sell aftermarket crossbars for the gx470

Look for LFD, GX Basecamp, or Rago. There might be others but those 3 come to mind.
Thanks! Will have to give them a look. Assuming something like that would save me 3ish inches of height - still not enough to get my RTT in/out of the garage on the GX.. but first world problems haha

Thanks! Will have to give them a look. Assuming something like that would save me 3ish inches of height - still not enough to get my RTT in/out of the garage on the GX.. but first world problems haha
These aftermarket crossbars sit lower than the factory crossbars, but not sure how much it helps with your RTT situation. It may be a tall order to fit! Lol

You might want to consider a Prospeed aftermarket rack. They are among the slimmest. I looked at aftermarket bars for my GX as well, but they are pretty close to the same price as actual rack, which offers more utility. I have no personal experience with the Prospeed but plan to buy one at some point.

You might want to consider a Prospeed aftermarket rack. They are among the slimmest. I looked at aftermarket bars for my GX as well, but they are pretty close to the same price as actual rack, which offers more utility. I have no personal experience with the Prospeed but plan to buy one at some point.
Looks very similar to the Prinsu and similar ones. If you get one, im sure ill see an update in your thread about it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom