CharlestonG8R's FJ40 Build Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The same thing happened to me when I was installing my new shocks. I am going to drill mine out and weld in a new bolt.

Have welder & welder. Will travel. Just let me know when your ready.

Thanks, Erik! I will take you up on the offer as soon as I cut off the stud and drill the new hole.

While replacing the remainder of my water hoses, I ran in to a situation where the dealer only sells a straight hose replacement instead of the original preformed OEM hose. The straight hose kinked and I could only think to use hose clamps to force it in to shape. I mean, it would work on the trail, but is there a better way? And does anyone know if there is a preformed hose out there for the upper thermostat housing on an 81 2F? I'd prefer to put the right hose in before refilling the radiator... But if this is decidedly the best way, than I will go with it :).

image.jpg

I'll check to see if I have the PN sticker on mine still. I just replaced it a few months ago.

Ah! Cruiserparts.net has it - it's listed as the Oil Cooler Hose. Whew!!! PN 15777-61011

It's been a while since I updated this thread, but I've done a few things to the old girl. Mechanically, she's in perfect shape. A few months back, we did a HAMOM where we attempted to fix a steering issue. This was to no avail. The TRE's looked pretty good and despite being ugly, we couldn't find much play in the box. I knew eventually I'd want power steering anyhow, so lacking welding skills, and honestly not being terribly mechanically inclined to begin with, I took her over to @Trollhole 's to have power steering installed. He found the problem with the steering really wasn't the steering at all! The bushings in the leaf springs had rotted completely out and were non-existent. When he turned the steering wheel, the whole vehicle moved, but the tires stayed still. My only complaint with the steering now, and it even sounds odd saying it, is that it is too responsive. It takes no force to turn the wheel so you really have to hang on tight when you're driving on the highway. It's a Saginaw system, I'll post some pictures later.

A few months ago, @Rice decided to let go of his original FJ40 seats. I had been looking to reupholster mine, but his were pretty much in mint condition, so I talked him in to selling them to me. I picked them up in Uwharrie after a wheeling trip with some of the ONSC folks and brought them home. Rather than install them, I set them aside because the truck was about to head to Trollhole's for a few months. The wife headed out of town, so I took the opportunity to install the replacement seats in my 40.

Although they're not the worst that I've seen, the old seats have definitely seen better days.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I was hoping to just pull the old seats out and put the new ones in. Rice's seat tracks are in much better shape than mine. It seems as though somewhere along the way, the shape of the track has changed and the forward end of the track is bent forward.
image.jpeg

It's hard to tell from here, but the hole with the nutsert is on the forward side of the mount. On the upper side are 2 holes that apparently do nothing. Can someone explain this? I'm just curious if this is an anomaly.
image.jpeg

And here are Rice's seats after the installation. I drove it around after the install, they feel exactly the same, but look 100x better than before. Oddly, the passenger seat now points outboard... I had to wrestle it in place after swapping the seat tracks...
image.jpeg

Anyone in need of some 1981 seats? I don't need the old ones anymore.

Last edited:
@CharlestonG8R - Pls give us a visual update of that new paint job!

@CharlestonG8R - Pls give us a visual update of that new paint job!
So many updates to make, so little time! Here's the way it stood 2 weeks ago. Should be done in another month or so. I need to find a bad ground wire...

image.jpeg

Looks awesome! Thanks for sharing, I think the color match looks spot on from what I can tell.

Single stage or base + clear coat?

Subscribed!

Looks awesome! Thanks for sharing, I think the color match looks spot on from what I can tell.

Single stage or base + clear coat?

Subscribed!
It's a base + clear coat. I was surprised that CCOT's bumperette colors didn't match their front bumper color. Meh, will paint to match. This 40 will only see light wheeling as I have built my 80 in to a pretty dang capable machine. Should probably update that build thread as well... Anyhow, more to come after I get it back.

image.jpeg

I didn't even know about it, thanks for the heads up. Ironically, I will be at Kiawah that week! I would love to get up there, maybe I can make it Saturday afternoon. I have some parts that others may need, but I would really just like to meet some other folks with the same disease. There is no way I could talk the wife into cutting our trip short, especially for something FJ40 related. Don't get me wrong, I like the beach, but several days of frying like bacon on the beach is plenty.

I have been going to Kiawah for about 40 years. When I was a young teen I used to drive a 70 FJ40 on the beach all the time. What a great time. It has really changed.

What kind of ground issue are you having? Lights, starter? I don't know if you have seen these wiring diagrams, but they may be helpful:

FJ40 Wire Harness Reference - September 1976

Bummer, but give me a shout if you are free one evening when you are here! Also, lots of cool stuff to do in the area, so if you head to Chucktown for a day, I may have some good recommendations.

Looks like the PO did a whole bunch of weird stuff with the wiring. The box doesn't look like it came from an 81, will have to get a picture and post it up. It's a rat's nest under the dash - I yanked out a bunch of wires for the stereo and I'm not sure what all came with it... Besides the under dash light wiring. The mess is probably from unnecessary remnants of the desmog. The grounding issue is that sometimes the heater works and sometimes the instrument gauge lights work. They won't work simultaneously. It's possible that they are both trying to draw power from the same circuit, but I haven't blown any fuses... The wire routing isn't factory, so I need to run it all down and see where it goes. For now, all of the important stuff works fine, so this will be the next 40 project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom