Charcoal canister (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Please help.

Can i remove the charcoal canister from my 1977 Toyota FJ40?

How do i test the original one i have? Can i "clean" the original one?

regards,

AK

They are sealed units and to the best of my knowledge cannot be cleaned internally. They take vapors from the fuel tank and allow them to be sucked into the intake mixture to burn instead of going into the atmosphere. I've never seen a testing process for them.

Not to hijack this thread, but when did they start putting charcoal canisters in FJ40s

They take vapors from the fuel tank and allow them to be sucked into the intake mixture to burn instead of going into the atmosphere.

I'm currently in the process of replacing my fuel tank sending unit, which somehow began to include repainting the floor and rest of the interior.... But now the project needs to include the venting on the gas tank.

After pulling the tank out of my '74 and reviewing all the information that I can find my understanding is that the gas tank vents into a fuel separator (3 vents into the bottom of the separator), separator vents (through a check valve) into the charcoal canister... And, all the info I've found, on a '74, charcoal canister vents to the atmosphere...

I know that preventing venting unburned hydrocarbons into the atmosphere is a major push of most smog systems and venting to the atmosphere like that wouldn't be allowed in a new car (or even in the 80's). But, if it's going into the air filter to get burned, why a charcoal canister (which I assume is to remove the odor, which charcoal is commonly used for in filters).

(And like everything else on my '74, I found this all mucked up with the fuel separator vented back into the tank and nothing but what I think is supposed to be the vent to the atmosphere connected to the charcoal canister. It has a plastic tank, with huge goops of sealant on all the vents and the top of the guage sender, so I know everything on it's been mucked with. and am still trying to make sure I undestand how it's supposed to work.) (and yes, the interior has always smelled like gasoline).

My recommendation is to get a copy of the factory emissions manual for your year. Then study it until you understand how it was set up from the factory. Then, and only then, you can intelligently approach modifying it to suit your needs. The purpose of the canister is to absorb fuel vapors from the tank and the carb float bowl when the truck is not running. Then it sends those vapors into the intake when running. It keeps the fuel system vented yet still somewhat sealed from atmosphere. The manual has a test procedure which really just tests the check valves and flow through the canister. Good luck.

Thanks everyone. I have ordered an AC Delco vapour canister to replace the original blocked charcoal canister. Hopefully that will work.

5D496F6E-1191-440A-AB64-74DDA8078A22.jpeg

Thanks everyone. I have ordered an AC Delco vapour canister to replace the original blocked charcoal canister. Hopefully that will work.

View attachment 2364800
Did the AC Delco canister work? Do you remember which one you installed?

Did the AC Delco canister work? Do you remember which one you installed?
Unfortunately, the AC Delco cannister was a vapour one, not a charcoal one, so it wasn't the right part after all. I never did find a replacement charcoal can, so just painted the old one & refitted it. It probably doesn't work anymore.

regards,

AK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom