Builds chap79's Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I learned that my ST Maxx's sometimes like to pick up large gravel pieces, and then dislodge them while going fast 5 minutes later down the road without warning and scare the $h1t out of me with a loud bang to the wheel well. Less scary now that ive figured out the noise but still causes some anxiety waiting to see if its going to happen!

Anyways...beautiful 80, nice work!
For a while after getting off the bus and heading home, once I hit a certain speed I'd hear a loud bang. It freaked me out naturally until I figured out it was a stone from the parking lot dislodging from the tire.

Chap, great build so far!

More plans for the upcoming weekend...

IMG_4571.JPG

Yes I need to do the same. Hope it will resolve my pinging sound when first going into gear.

I've racked up about 100 miles since replacing the EGR modulator and the VSV, no CEL (knock on wood).

Presents!

Got my new shocks and springs this afternoon. I'll make sure to get some comparison pictures of the springs when I take the old ones off.

IMG_4575.JPG

That was fast and WOW...nice!!!

That was fast and WOW...nice!!!

I have to make sure and get all my mods done before the GF moves back to the country ;). I'm sure she won't recognize all the changes :rolleyes:.

I'm gone this weekend but free next Saturday!!!

I'm gone this weekend but free next Saturday!!!
I'll probably be working on it this weekend. I'm trying to chase down a rattle that I hope is not coming from my front diff:censor:.

But if you have any free time this week hit up Tim. He needs some assistance before the Mojave Rd to Moab trip. I'll be over there after work on Thursday.

Installed the new springs and shocks. Big difference in the way the rear of the truck is handling now. It no longer wallows through dips and corners. Much improved. Over all I gained about an inch of height in the front and two inches in the rear. Which is exactly what I wanted.

Here's some pictures of the springs as promised.

This is the OME 850 next to the 3051.
IMG_4576.JPG

863 compared to 3052
IMG_4577.JPG

So far I am very pleased with the stance. Distances measured from center of hubs to the bottom of the fender flare are:

Front - 25"
Rear - 26"

IMG_4586.JPG

I also took some time today to replaced the exhaust hanger cushions before and after the muffler.

IMG_4582.JPG

IMG_4580.JPG

I didn't take a picture but I made some addition 1/8" spacers to go between the new cushions and the mounts to raise the exhaust 1/4". This doesn't sound like much however; the front outrigger of my passenger slider is so close to the catalytic converter flange that it makes contact when starting the truck or when the motor is under load.

Drivetrain rattles and chatter make me paranoid

Replaced the factory panhards with new adjustables from Slee. I also replaced all 4 tie rod ends with the kit from Cruiser Outfitters.

IMG_4592.JPG
IMG_4593.JPG
IMG_4594.JPG

I replaced the u-joints in the front driveshaft today. Took a little longer then I had planned since I don't possess a third hand. I didn't snap any pictures of the how I took it all apart. I used two deep socket which I placed on top of the yoke horns with a piece of steel on top of them. Then used the shop press to press the caps out. It was a little sketchy but I managed to do it without shooting a socket across the garage.

IMG_4607.JPG
IMG_4604.JPG
IMG_4611.JPG

Installed the Garmin backup camera today. Easy and straightforward instructions. The most difficult part was trying to find some place to put it on the rear of the truck. Fuel cans and a 37" spare don't leave a lot of real estate. So after playing around with different spots I settled on the inner upright of my spare tire. It's close enough to center for now.

IMG_4673.JPG
IMG_4675.JPG
IMG_4676.JPG

Reactions: KTP
Your rig is looking great. I use the Mastuba joints too.

Painted the front area behind the Bump It Offroad bumper. Looks a lot more "finished" IMO now.
IMG_4709.JPG
IMG_4710.JPG
IMG_4711.JPG
IMG_4712.JPG

I also pulled my front driveshaft since it's vibrating worse than a tweaker after riding a mechanical bull. Playing around with it I can see that there was a little bit of play for the spider joint to move back and forth. I pressed the cups in a little tighter and may toss it back in later after I get it balanced. But ultimately due to the lift height and pinion angle I need to bite the bullet and buy a D.C. front shaft. Probably after my work trip at the end of the month.

Also with driving around with the shaft removed and CDL engaged I get a little vibration from the rear while in coast around 65-70mph. So I may try and lengthen the rear LCAs a hair to correct the angle. Thoughts?

Toyota sells bearing cup keepers of different thicknesses in order to reduce trunnion to bearing cup thrust clearance. Beno probably has the part numbers. Or you could go part time.

The Grrrrrrr you get from the rear on decel will disappear as you load the cruiser and squat it down a bit. Mine did the same thing with the Slee 4" rears. But, since I drive mostly unloaded it bothered me enough to buy a custom rear D.C. shaft because the driveline angle was too steep at 12.9* to adjust the vibration out with adjustable control arms. Welcome to the world of 4" plus lift.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom