Cement gray 80 (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Your not going to remove the windshield sprayers?

Ya, hope they don’t get clogged! Wasn’t too worried about it.

@White Stripe It gives those sprayers an unassuming sleeper vibe! Ryan not that we're counting, but this thread is almost 6 months in c'mon mannnn with the teasing

Dude I know, imaging how many times the wife has asked...so then it’s going to be done right?

So many steps so little time with a little family. Unfortunately the honey-do list comes first as well as just about all my other responsibilities these days. Soon come

The upside is I have had a chance to save for the next upgrade: suspension. The Dobs coils in 40/45 height are on the way. someday the finished product will be sitting level too

Well you're certainly a better bodyman than most. Finish looks good w/o cut & buff too.

Yeah, not bad at all.

-But- if you don’t colorsand within a reasonable timeframe it gets bulletproof.

I was supposed to do it in 3-4 days, and I waited ~2weeks & let it cure in the summer sun a few days (WA sun, so your CA Winter sun :hillbilly:).

I learned the hard way on a VW GTI I sprayed in black acrylic enamel in the early 90’s - paint was so cured the light orangepeel I had wouldn’t flatten under the thin VW sheetmetal. I expect airplane epoxy paint would behave similar.

Luckily I called the manufacturer to find out the recommended finishing /re-finishing technique and they informed me about time-frame and curing so I got in there and smoothed over the orange peel on the tailgate, hood, and roof.

The upside is with this paint it is intended to be ready to go after finish coat. None of the long and complicated sanding and buffing is recommended because it is so hard. It shows on the jambs and other spots that didn’t get peeled- very glossy and smooth. Verse the body shop is using an 8 step sanding/buffing process on the 79’. No thanks

4FA8AFCE-B2B6-4CA1-8EBA-7E31BAA51445.jpeg
E081A820-F30B-44F5-8B53-49094332AE74.jpeg
FD35D06C-66F9-4998-9C98-08DBAADC7EA5.jpeg
83625A07-6EFF-4757-B105-318D6477CC05.jpeg
Victory! :beer:
Will have to buff out a few runs and a little orange peel but happy with finish coat and to be done. License plates and such will be back on soon! (Good thing- Smog is due by March).finish pics to follow, and maybe a rename thread to Stone Gray 80;)

Had to re-do a few panels, bad runs on tight side of garage tent, gun was too close. Cut and polish some peel also, a paint job is never done.

Home stretch now, hoping to roll her out Monday. Tying up loose ends:

-Customized the bumper
-hit the wipers with fresh paint
-refurbished all lenses
-popped in some LEDs (markers and license plate- so awesome can’t wait to do the rest). Also bought round 3/4” ambers to go raptor/4Runner style but the grille will not have them unless I bore in the main Toyota rail and I don’t want. The rectangulars will fit nicely though-soon
-cut and polish all glass/towers
-Mud flaps (meh but have to protect the paint).
-reassemble grille, headlights, tail gate/lift gate, etc
-new suspension is going in too...🆒

Well at noon today she finally rolled out from hibernation, one Stone Gray 80:

(Bumper crooked I know, will adjust R corner bracket)

The color is most definitely tan, but gray in the shade or low light. Paint is not cured yet surprisingly b/c the cat already scratched the hood or something of the like -can’t figure it out, and I chipped it too (so bummed, my after market hood supports failed already and I pushed the hood up wrenching on the shocks causing my support bar to bang the edge of the fender). Well, I guess it is broken in now. Could buff the scratches out but this paint seems to retain swirl marks no matter how many different things I try. And the trail will be adding plenty more anyway.

Some gray shots from today:

Table mountain was our first trip; the old 3FE started right up! salamanders, waterfall, and views. Honestly new suspension felt kinda stiff,needs broken in I guess.

Will be starting a build thread soon, future cosmetics to finish up will be thrown on there including:

-paint and/or replace wheels
-custom emblems and door trim
-?

Thanks for following along this noob paint project, not perfect but pretty stoked on how it turned out.

Nice work, looks good. My preference would be to have a contrasting color on the front bumper as well, but nice job.

So a sweet 4Runner parked in front of me tonight at happy hour, good opportunity to compare Stone Gray with the new Toyota beige (yes I know I am hurting for bigger tires-soon come). Not as yellow for sure.

Will post next to a Cement gray truck when I can. The black emblems, markers, and black door trim/handles are going on this weekend.

Markers and emblems. Wanted to put the logo centered above “Landcruiser”
But body too curved. Saw a local 2019 Landcruiser with the black logo in that spot. Adhesive on “full time” is no bueno so I have to remove and redo.

What size air tank do you need to do a job like this?

as big as you can afford lol.

with lvlp smaller is okay, that is the benefit. I used a 8 gallon from harbor freight that was about $150 I think. there is a chart on the side that show’s ratings for tools.

with this tank, it struggled to keep up at times. I would spray a section like the size of a door, and half way through I would have to pause to let it pressurize. It wasnt an issue though, because its good to be patient anyway and there was no curing issues or other negative effects on the paint job.

that said, if i had to do the job with anything smaller, it might be an issue as far as work flow and pace of laying down a coat.

5EB12367-83D8-420D-8E0D-EAC53BED919E.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom