Cement gray 80 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

aircraft paint aka Durathane II will be about $360 before shipping from Tempo Aerospace.

The above application was in ‘Audi Nardo Gray’. Not sure I’m going to go for the aerospace paint, but most likely will go for the color. Going to drop by the body shop and get their opinion on it
That doesn't seem like its very expensive to me. I thought it would be closer to 1000 bucks. The paint for my fj40 which is the higher end ppg cost about 500 bucks and that was just to paint 2/3rds of the tub which is not a lot of surface area at all.

update: wife is finally on board with it :clap:. Did some initial prepping last weekend including fender flare hole filling and smoothing/sanding, roof rack removal and filling holes. Bobby sprayed me a sample of the Nardo gray (ppg 938040) and it looks sweeeeet, shipping it off to Tempo so they can mix some up.

The hood and front driver fender were replaced for some reason by PO (no accidents on record with DMV) which has created a two tone look with the rest of the dried out/flat exterior. The graphics are going to have to go, some small scratches to fill, along with the lines around the old flares which are a mix of wax and clear coat buildup coupled with a cut exposing a thin line of primer. Other than that there is just one dent-- on top of all places--where I can experiment with my bondo skills.

Here are a few before pictures. Happened upon a craigslist find ($60) for a Thule rack, with it now on and flares removed you can definitely see the 60 series roots.

IMG_2214.jpg
IMG_2216.jpg

All in now! she is not legal to drive with everything stripped (honestly bumpers, grill, and lights barely took an hour to remove).

Found another source for military grade Aerospace paint in SoCal, it is cheaper and more local (for me) than Canada, details can be found in my paint and body thread. #16. Will be going with LVLP setup for spraying, HVLP compressor too costly.

Need some opinions on front stock bumper color. Same color as rig, or black???? My rear bumper plastics are black (rattle can bumper paint, has held up nicely) so I am leaning that way.
IMG_2285.jpeg

Bumpers gray

What color are you going to paint your flares?
All in now! she is not legal to drive with everything stripped (honestly bumpers, grill, and lights barely took an hour to remove).

Found another source for military grade Aerospace paint in SoCal, it is cheaper and more local (for me) than Canada, details can be found in my paint and body thread. #16. Will be going with LVLP setup for spraying, HVLP compressor too costly.

Need some opinions on front stock bumper color. Same color as rig, or black???? My rear bumper plastics are black (rattle can bumper paint, has held up nicely) so I am leaning that way.
View attachment 1787961

Flares are gone. Holes patched

Contrasting bumpers are a good look. They date the truck a bit. Color-matched bumpers are a good look...they tend to modernize it a bit. I like color-coded bumpers on most trucks...the TRD Pro 4Runner in Cement is a good example.

You should go for the look you like best, of course. Cool project.

Ya, I’m going for more throw back/rugged look. Matching bumpers would probably give it much more curb appeal and fancy though. The 3FE really marks the end of an era in my view, before the transition to luxury 4x4s—atleast in the US. I like the ruggedness of what I see in third-world or Aussie cruisers for example like steel wheels and solid paint.

Primed yesterday. Spray setup works great. Took just over a quart for two coats( 4:1:1, primer,reducer, hardener). Mix seemed very thin, easy to work with, forgiving. No drips, even when not maintaining fluid motion. The garage tent is tight quarters...

6BC0F203-F0AA-417F-A4D1-8BB216A19FA2.jpeg

Deleted EGR and moved O2 sensors to the manifolds. Was a snap with the wits end key chains. I will say the EGR was a little challenging. About as fun as the PHH. Just need to remove the throttle body coolant hose, replace the distributor O ring and advance the timing a bit. After that I am running out of things to work on.:(

And I posted this in the wrong thread .lol

ooh no, primer gray is not the goal. That 60 ^^^ is pretty light for my taste. Gray does beg for black rims though.
Pretty sure I am going to black the grill too, aside from the lettering of course. There are also narrow slots with stock paint below the the headlights that I might go black on.

Getting close to finally ordering up the finish color and the allure of Dune Biege is starting to creep in again. I also drove past a Sprinter van on my way home from work yesterday. There is a color which apparently is the best of both worlds: Stone Gray ppg 903514

This color looks gray and tan in different light. Read up on some sprinter forums and it is easier to keep clean over the silver gray (very close to Nardo), stays cooler, and very well liked all around as a unique color that does actually look both gray and tan (sort of like Dune biege). I am going to have Bobby spray me a sample. It will be interesting to compare it to the Dune 416 40 pieces we've got back.

1dc2299e8d18c5126d7a1ce6ff2fadd2.jpg
hqdefault.jpg
baa854fab33e5430cccbf2ee6b7d4bc2.jpg

I really like both colors. Hard choice for sure.

But Dune Beige with black accents would be mighty hard to beat.

Well the sample is in and Stone Gray is badass. Hard to tell with pics but this color is infact both beige and gray. I’m sold, very unique and suits the 80 much better than the Nardo sports car gray. So far everybody I’ve shown agrees, this color is it.
Here are all three (dune biege, Nardo, Stone) in the late afternoon direct sun. And one of the SG against some digital camo in shade. No clear coat on the SG sample.

DDF58CD9-A046-4705-81DF-D8A4E2FBEF9A.jpeg
9418B411-CE98-41D2-B861-DC6601433D37.jpeg

Dune biege is a old color. Some of the simple modern colors some manufacturers make actually have cool mixes that if u really pay attention to will do some cool things in different light like the one u picked. Nice choice. I'm going with a modern tan color on mine that I really like in how it reacts to different shades of light. Dune biege I dont think does much in different light from what I've seen. But it is a classic color. One thing I'm doing with mine that u may want to consider is I'm painting my doorhandles with a high quality aerosol paint black to break up the color a bit. Also makes touch up of the doorhandles easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom