CEL and OBD2 1FZ transmission swap? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

HDJdreams

SILVER Star
Threads
I am trying to figure out how to change the transmission in my 97 FZJ80 and get more gears. One of the biggest hurdles is keeping the CEL off, (I live in an emissions tested area).

Over the years on Mud, every time I read about someone thinking of a manual swap, it was shot down because of ecm controlling the transmission also.

Is anyone aware of a thread where someone that kept the 1FZ, swapped the transmission but kept the CEL off and stayed OBD2 compliant?

I think I would try just unplugging the trans and try driving it manually. You only get 3 of the gears and no lockup with no electronics manually shifting, but you can test the theory on what you have. You can force 1st in "L" then grab "2nd" position but that gives you 3rd then "D" is O/D. I had wiring issues and drove mine for a few days trouble shooting just a lot of torque converter action.

The TCM even though its in the ECU is very separate and may not have engine issues without it, but codes may be present. I'm guessing some resistors for solenoid detection and parallel sensors and it would not care. the A343F is an very old school trans not mush electrically happening on the feedback side of things.

Sell it and buy a manual one from another country. Would be much cheaper in the long run.

Sell it and buy a manual one from another country. Would be much cheaper in the long run.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

What’s the going rate on a 25+ year old LHD 1FZ with a 5 speed in excellent condition? Know where I can find one in the U.S.?

While I would love a tuned, intercooled LHD HDJ80 with a 5 speed. I would only do it if I had a rebuilt motor and injection pump and the rest of the diesel bits baselines. What will that cost?

If something goes wrong with the diesel, I can’t just grab a local donor for $2k like I did when my 1FZ lost its head gasket.

My 97 is not “pristine” and probably only worth $5-6k when I take off the off road pieces that I would only get pennies on the dollar. Even then, I have spent close to that just “baselining” in the last year.

While this is not a cheap endeavor, the goal is to breath new life into the 80 platform as it was the last of the breed - sturdy solid axle 4x4s sold in the U.S.

:cheers:

Last edited:
put out a wanted thread. i know of several members that go to south america and get them and europe. i would guess 20 to 25K for one. if you have a clean 80 i would think its worth at least 10K and the swap alone would cost you that. might as well buy one already done. same money and no extra work on your end.

I talked with a guy that pulls A340 automatics out of Lexus cars and swaps in CD09 6 speed manuals. I asked about CELs. He just pulls the electrical components out of A340 that are connected to the ECM and literally puts them in a nonconductive Box.

Not elegant, but he claims it works. Basically the ECM just tells A340 to do stuff, so as long as the resistance is there, CEL stays off??????

Is it really that simple?

I’d think so. If you look through the trouble shooting there isn’t much to these, from an electronics standpoint. I really think you could do it with resistors. They are not the modern trans with all sorts of sensors and can bus communication and what not. You have to remember the obd2 was brand new and only focused on emissions. They have the bare minimum info. That’s why it has a trans temp sensor but the scan gage doesn’t even pick up because they didn’t output it to Obd2.

1. We talk to Rodney on at least a weekly basis - lots to discuss given new products in development and release (VBs, TC lock-up kits, coolers, controllers, pans, etc.)
  2. No - no progress on the 1FZ-FE/A750F adapter. Georg and I are going to Bayswater to visit WAT in early March and this is on the list

@wardharris During your chats with Rodney, could you get a ballpark price of what it would cost to get a “black box” to keep OBD2 Happy when the A343F is pulled? A stand alone unit, independent of transmission controller, so a person could use any manual or automatic transmission that they can bolt up to the 1FZ.

It’s been mentioned that he could do that in your Manualmatic thread and in a 100 series thread where someone was looking for a A750F controller to swap into early 100. In that thread, the OP was quoted $2200-3000 for just the stand alone controller and OBD2 defeat :eek:

If it’s not too $$$$, it’s certainly a more elegant solution than pulling electrical parts out of A343F and stuffing into a box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom