catastrophic failure (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sad day for me :(

driving home from work got on the skinny pedal wot, downshift kicks into first.... Runs out strong shifts and then boom. Nothing but a trail of smoke and the sweet smell of tranny fluid. I slowly pull into a burger joint.... Dead duck

Jump out, almost in tears already from it being my deceased daughter's birthday, I hop under the truck to find a pool of tranny fluid. ... s***

Sooo I figure the front seal andor bushing andor pump are dead.... Probably the entire trans is toast.

Damn. Depressed. Boggled.

Will be going back to the tranny guy who built it... We'll see what he says.

I say I don't trust this trans anymore, don't really want to buy another, thinking about a manual. Thinking about the zf s6 650 6 speed.

May be going under the knife again soon...

IMG_20170302_160542.jpg

My condolences for your daughter... I am a bereaved parent too. Been almost 12 years and she was almost 8.
Life is so frustrating.
Mechanics are totally different tho. Something done poorly? When was it rebuilt?

Thanks for the kind words gentleman.

The trans was built in '11 by a highly regarded shop here in PHX AZ.

I will keep you updated as to what happens

could you get lucky and it just be 1 of the lines going to the cooler?

Condolences, never easy for a parent to outlive their child.
Since it is on the block then you might as well go with the manual. I thought you had a chevy v8, isn't the ZF S6 a Furd tranny?

Since it is on the block then you might as well go with the manual. I thought you had a chevy v8, isn't the ZF S6 a Furd tranny?

It was used behind both power stroke and Duramax diesels. Shares the LS bolt pattern. Appears to be a big (tall) trans will requires re-placement of engine which I'm OK with since I hate the AA motor mounts and want to redo them anyways.

My mind is snowballing at the moment.

Last edited:
My condolences to you @dbleon
Sorry to hear the tranny dropped on yah..
What type of work was done to the it?

My '01 Silverado 2500HD 4WD pickup has the 8.1L gas engine and ZF S6 6-speed. Crawl ratio is >60:1 - love the combination.

For a long time I was thinking a 383 stroker with the ZF S6 would be a good combination for an FJ60. I think the 496 cu. in. (8.1L) V8 would be too massive for the FJ60 without a lot of modifications.

As for the '01 Silverado, I was really hoping GM would come through with their plans to offer an HP3 crate motor, which would have been plug-and-play: 525+ hp and 560+ ft-lb torque. Another option is Raylar's lineup of performance 8.1L engines.

I had the same thing happen last year on my 80. Flywheel broke at the bolt holes, and the torque converter made quick work of the front seal area of the trans

Damn, sorry to hear it bro.

What did you have...about 30k miles on it?

Opportunity to upgrade tho? I dreAm of a 6l80e mated to an 80 TC with AWD. I spend more time in snow then on rocks and think this would be the ultimate combo for me.

I did change out the AA mounts A few months back. It was a pain in the ass but worth it I think. Those things are junk and it idles so much smoother now.

Good Luck

-Ed

Opportunity to upgrade tho? I dreAm of a 6l80e mated to an 80 TC with AWD. I spend more time in snow then on rocks and think this would be the ultimate combo for me.

I did change out the AA mounts A few months back. It was a pain in the ass but worth it I think. Those things are junk and it idles so much smoother now.

Good Luck

-Ed

What did you end up with using for mounts?

Good Luck

-Ed
At this point I've put about 45k on it

Soi just can't get over the fact that this happened in my baby's birthday... Really messed me up.

My wife told me something that really resonated. To the effect of; maybe something worse was about to happen, and my catastrophic failure was really a miracle.

I like to believe that.

So I guess you never know wat the universe has in store

What did you end up with using for mounts?

I got hold of the TLC mounts they use for their Erod conversions. They utilize the GM motor mount with the rubber isolators. I'm sure their the cats meow when starting with a fresh conversion because they index off existing bolt holes on the frame and locate the motor for you. This didn't work so well for my existing set up as my stuff was already in and I had to modify them to work. But I'm happy with the end result.

They were cheap enough if you decide to go that route. Only $90 for the pair. I posted pics somewhere.

Soi just can't get over the fact that this happened in my baby's birthday... Really messed me up.

My wife told me something that really resonated. To the effect of; maybe something worse was about to happen, and my catastrophic failure was really a miracle.

I like to believe that.

So I guess you never know wat the universe has in store
This is the same exact thinking I always go to when stuff goes bad. I get it. I am only where I am now and have what I have now w/o my daughter. Granted if she hadn't died I'd have her but I might not be here wrenching on an old truck or have my almost 4yo son now.
s*** happens too often because we are meant to do something else... and I believe we meet folks along the way (even those born to us) to teach us lessons, some are quick and some are not so quick.

Just wanted to give an update;. Friggin so happy I got my rig back! Whoohoo

According to my transmission guy (Sean at top gear Motorsports here in Mesa AZ).... The torque converter cracked along the welds between the halves. It was a remanufactured torque converter. He said it was a rare failure. Burned the clutches and caused contamination.

He ended up rebuilding the transmission.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom