Carolina Relic Run - April 15-17, 2016 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Great pictures and looks like a fun trip. I hope to make it next year in my "relic" that came stock with EFI and an auto.

image.jpeg
Thank you to everyone who attended and an extra thank you to those that contributed food and supplies for the group meal.

I'm not sure we could have asked for better weather or a better mix of people. I didn't get to spend as much time as I would have liked getting to know everyone but that seems to be par for the course at these events. I'm grateful no one had any major mechanical problems or did any real damage to their relics, especially considering you were willing to follow me on the trails.

I'm sure many of us are anxious to see the photos Alex took but we'll all have to wait a while. John is going to write an article for the Toyota Trails magazine and will therefore need to hold off on revealing the best shots that will accompany it until the article is published. If you're not already a TLCA member, you should be, and the magazine is one of the perks.

Overall, things went surprisingly well and I've already made some mental notes of things I would do differently if/when we have another of these. Feel free to PM me your constructive criticisms.

Below is a list of the winners (picture stolen off @77 KROOZER 's fb page):
  1. Best Dressed - @tnkayaker
  2. Oldest Land Cruiser - @ClemsonCruiser
  3. Most Rust - @jfz80
  4. Long-time Owner - @77 KROOZER
  5. Iron Butt Award (Furthest Drive to the Event - in your relic) - @ErikinSC
  6. Best Patina - @HENDOG
  7. Most Original - @fj40z
  8. Most Unoriginal/Modified - @GLTHFJ60
  9. Best Overall Vintage Camping Equipment - @mel lowe
  10. Fan Favorite - @mel lowe

Just curious, what was the number to beat for "Long-time owner"? I might have won that at 21 years????

David did a great job putting this event together and attracting some great vehicles and owners. It probably had the largest percentage of out of state folks that I've seen yet in this club. Lots of new faces brought some great personalities and left us with some great memories.

Not to exclude anybody, but @mel lowe and @HENDOG brought their "A" games. I had a blast talking with both of them and the subject of LC's never even came up. Good people, those two. HENDOG even gave me a Franklin half-dollar, leaving me with a cool, tactile memory of this great weekend, one that will be around much longer than the new dent in a certain Lexus rocker :D (not that anybody saw that - wink wink, nudge nudge).

Thanks to each of you that let me ride shotgun while getting to know you. I had a blast hopping from truck to truck.

View attachment 1243744

Few years ago at a Logans Run someone ran a new audi a4 on a rock lol

Looks like a great time! Damn it I need a cruiser asap!

Looks like you guys had a blast. Wonder if URE has ever seen that amount of Tie-Dye and mustaches?

Wow looks like a fun time with some great rigs and people.
Nice job at putting this together David it looks like the turn out was great

Looks like all the cool kids made it to this event while all us lame 80/100 owners got to stare at our lattes in our cup holders on the way to IKEA lol

What an incredible trip. Thank you David for putting it together :D

When I have some more time to go through my pics I'll put some of them up.

There's really not much I would change. The event went great! Although @Yardboy @psbarger and I were wheeling our 80's, we had a good time and I feel like we did a good job staying clear of the Relics (although I did enjoy harassing David about being in the group photo). I think we should encourage Land Cruisers of all vintages to attend the event. The pictures and the trail run itself were the only parts of the event that weren't appropriate for post 90's cruisers - so like, a couple hours out of a 3 day event. Perhaps in the spirit of 60's love, man, we could promote more inclusion next year? If my relics aren't up and running for the event next year, I'll definitely jump in with someone rather than wheel the 80.

On a side note, I was able to pick up Rice and Johnny pretty loud and clear on the HAM from a good distance out (They were starting on Falls Dam and we were finishing Dickey Bell). With the CB, I was having trouble picking up folks that were in my small group. I'm officially on the HAM bandwagon - I think it's a superior method of group communication on the trail. It is nice to know what is going on in the back of the pack. Or across the park, for that matter.

Great run, great weather, great food, great folks! Thanks for putting on another awesome event, David!

On a side note, I was able to pick up Rice and Johnny pretty loud and clear on the HAM from a good distance out (They were starting on Falls Dam and we were finishing Dickey Bell). With the CB, I was having trouble picking up folks that were in my small group. I'm officially on the HAM bandwagon - I think it's a superior method of group communication on the trail. It is nice to know what is going on in the back of the pack. Or across the park, for that matter.

YES!! This is what I'm talking about!

YES!! This is what I'm talking about!

The ease of communication and clarity was amazing. Not to mention a 5 Watt handheld cost way less than a typical CB.

And for anyone (Like me) who stayed away from getting a HAM license for fear of the test (I had no idea you didn't need to know Morse Code!!!), relax.

Tech test is a breeze .... can be mastered in under 10 hours of study time. Note: Teacher talk .... Mastered meaning will score a 100 rather than just passing. Here is THE best online study website I found:

HamStudy.org: Cutting edge amateur radio study tools

I suggest a separate thread for discussion on HAM radios.

Let's leave this thread for more pics (including ones of people in their vintage attire).

...or maybe a mustache motage

I suggest a separate thread for discussion on HAM radios.

Let's leave this thread for more pics (including ones of people in their vintage attire).

Agree.

James, if you can move the question over to the already existing HAM thread the conversation can happen there for others can be a part of.

Yes, I believe so as Mike Shandor has owned his FJ40 for ~19 years.

Just more inspiration for me to get to the next one. My goal was not met this year ...so far..
My Misses and I have lived with ours for 27 years 29 years.. somewhere around that.
Looked like beautiful weather.
Thanks for the kind jester David.
Shane

Congrats David on a job well done !

That many trucks and people all together having a good time can't be considered anything less than success.

I had a blast from the past getting to hang out with familiar and new faces alike and thoroughly enjoyed the weekend with the old iron

I figured out why my sides hurts so bad after the trail ride. My co pilot was cracking me up the whole way
image.jpeg

Vintage style baby!! (Or DD style if you are JP) Somehow got 15 stills and a video
image.jpeg

Fri night camp setup.... The vintage cardboard box suitcase just out of sight
image.jpeg

Brown dog scoring a new necklace on shakedown street to get in character
image.jpeg

Oh yeah lock em up boys. Time to get dirty (my best fuzzy 35mm esque shot)
image.jpeg

Vintage snacks for the mustache dash
image.jpeg

Unless you are the Hendog. Anybody wanna sardine??? :D
image.jpeg

Maybe some sort of vintage courting ritual ?!?
image.jpeg

Ahhhh vintage refreshments to wash down that trail dust. Or best I could find.
image.jpeg

And some vintage laziness in the background there. Seriously no "ludes" for the brown dog. But i swear he was having a good time.
image.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom