Carhartt Soft Shell Jackets - Any Good? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So my North Face Windwall is 5 years old next month, and starting to show it's age.
The elbows are getting thin, it is pilling some on the surface (as it's almost a fleece / soft-shell hybrid), and the color is fading. I also have a few runs/pulls that will probably open up into holes before too long.

It's been good, and I have worn it nearly ever day in Fall/Winter/Early Spring since I got it. I certainly got my money's worth. But I am looking to replace it.

I notice Carhartt has entered the soft shell world. Of course, their duck fabric is pretty well-regarded for work wear. I am curious if the soft shells are worthy of the Carhartt name.

Carhartt - Category - Soft Shell Outerwear

They run around $140, which isn't as high as some of the gear out there (Marmot, Patagonia, North Face, Mountain Hardware, TAD, Arc'teryx). But I don't want to throw down that kind of money if it's only as good as a $50 house brand I could pick up at JC Penney.

Does anyone have any experience?

Thanks!

I am part of a 3 generation Industrial Laundry business and we have been a dickies dealer for as long as i can remember. Just recently we have talked about making the switch to Carhartt. From what we've seen their quality is rarely matched these days when it comes to warmth and how they hold up to multiple washings. As an independent in this industry how a garment holds up to multiple washings is one of our main concerns...

I'd assume its a great jacket as i love everything carhartt item ive ever owned. I will say their clothing as well as dickies at a retail level is grossly marked up. Being in the textile industry im a bit of a jacket whore....Marmot is my #1 brand as far as outdoors jackets go :D My dickies and carhartt stay muddy and full of grease though and take the beating very well. I believe Dickies has also taken the plunge into lighter jackets, i know a few years ago we offered a cotton pull over of theirs that was a disaster as far as loose threading went after only a few washes as well as massive fading.

btw i see you are in tulsa...cintas has some large warehousing there i believe go light their building on fire and steal all their carhartt for me ;)

Last edited:
A local sporting goods store (Dicks Sporting Goods, IIRC) had some on sale "while supplies last" for ~$50 a few weeks back. I gave Santa some hints, so hope to find one under the Christmas tree. I have had a real hard time finding them at the normal brick and mortar stores that normally carry a lot of Carhartt stuff. I did see one a few years ago, and the material felt like it would be pretty tough, seemed to be a denser weave than the average soft shell. I will try to report back after Christmas morn.

I've had one for a couple years now and it has stood up to a lot of abuse really well. For a general purpose jacket that looks decent (and repels dog hair for the most part) I've had absolutely no complaints.

Now if only they'd put a practical little black dress on the market... I'd buy that too. :)

TNF blows goats. They are loose w/their licenscing, use 3rd world labor for builds, and are the Nike of 'how to rape the world and make a profit through marketing' IMHO.

Carhart is the bomb-diggity. Other brands have been working to build comparable items, but they fail in the stitching, insulation, or material.

Interesting to hear that they are reaching across the 'work' barrier to go soft-shell. Mistake, but I'm just a knuckle-dragger so what do I know?

TNF blows goats. They are loose w/their licenscing, use 3rd world labor for builds, and are the Nike of 'how to rape the world and make a profit through marketing' IMHO.

Carhart is the bomb-diggity. Other brands have been working to build comparable items, but they fail in the stitching, insulation, or material.

Interesting to hear that they are reaching across the 'work' barrier to go soft-shell. Mistake, but I'm just a knuckle-dragger so what do I know?

So help me understand.... does this mean the Carhatt soft shell is good, or no?

No experience w/soft-shell, but I've finally worn through the Carhartt pants I got 9 years ago. Also have a lighter weight Carhartt jacket and a heavy weight barncoat. Thumbs up to Carhartt

Carhart makes good "stuff"... no hesitation in buying their products. Ask anyone who works outside in the constructions trades or other job what their view is.

I've liked all the Carhartt stuff I've gotten . It has all lasted a very long time with lots of hard use. I don't worry about rubbing my Carhartt stuff against gaucho barbwire. This is the first I've heard of a soft shell from them, but then I got my last jacket from them 4ish years ago and it's still in great shape. I'll have to check it out as I need a new off farm winter coat.

FYI, I've been getting Carhartts from Sierra Trading Post lately, pricing is good, they have a decent (though not complete) selection of Carhartt goods. If you sign up on their website, you will get about one 20 or 30% off coupon code a week. Some of the stuff are sold as "irregular", though the one I got had no visible flaws.

Carhartt and Carhartt Clothing at Dungarees Carhart Store

usually has pretty good prices on Carhartt (soft shell is currently $80 or so), as with most sites, sign up for their e-mails and you will get infor regarding sales, closeouts, etc.

They have 2 brick and mortar stores in MO.

So help me understand.... does this mean the Carhatt soft shell is good, or no?

I believe he was referring to your current coat. TNF=The North Face

The soft shell is a new product out so I doubt youll find a lot of info on actual wear. The entire Carthart line has almost always been considered bullet proof.

Ive got a canvas black carhart jacket, its great, I just keep it in the cruiser now. The black will hide oil stains, you dont mind climbing under a dirty vehicle in it. Its nice to have a dedicated jacket to wear around a smokey fire so you dont go to bed stinking like camp fire. And the more broken in the better they look!

I would definately reccomend getting one size bigger than you expect, they do shrink in the wash.

Hydraulic oil stains come out of Carhartt jackets. Just throw them in the wash. I just use the light brown ones. My first one is so faded it is now a light sand color.

The soft shell is comfy no report other then that :D. I don't really want to wear it for working, its too nice for that. I will however wear it on the mild days for casual wear.

I too have run mine through several years of walking construction projects, cutting firewood, mending fences etc etc, you get the idea. It's been a great jacket and has a permenant home behind the seat in my tundra. Not sure on the soft shell but as mentioned previously, if it's half as good as their other products then they will be hard to beat.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom