Cannot disengage 4 low (FJ62) help, pretty please with a cherry on top (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i made the mistake of putting the 62 in 4 low the other day while trying to go 4 wheeling... well now it's not going back to 4hi. I can move the shifter through its full range of motion, and after looking up at it from underneath the truck, I can see that it IS moving the linkages leading to the top of the tcase, BUT it is very mushy throughout the motion. There are no discernible 4hi - N - 4lo "thumps" to let me know it's actually changed anything...
Anybody have any ideas? Please, I don't have the time or patience to go digging into the tcase right now and I do daily drive the beast..

If I remember correctly you have a vacuum solenoid at the Xfer Case on an FJ62 mine does a similar thing it won't come out
of 4WD. You may have to reverse the lines at the solenoid to get it to disengage it.
:beer:

has the cinch bolt broken or become loose at the transfercase where the linkage attaches to the pivot stub? maybe the shifter moves but the pivot does not....

If I remember correctly you have a vacuum solenoid at the Xfer Case on an FJ62 mine does a similar thing it won't come out
of 4WD. You may have to reverse the lines at the solenoid to get it to disengage it.
:beer:
I'll track that line down and give her a try. Thanks Ben.

has the cinch bolt broken or become loose at the transfercase where the linkage attaches to the pivot stub? maybe the shifter moves but the pivot does not....
That was my first guess, but it doesn't appear to be broken. I kinda pull around on the link at the top of the tcase. Hopefully not at least haha

Try lifting up on the pivot lever while shifting the transfer. Use a screwdriver to kind of pry up. I would put the shifter in 4 lo first, then pry up with a screwdriver while shifting back to Hi. If that linkage drops too close to the top of the transfer case, the lever won't engage the shaft inside. You should hear the click as the ball inside catches on the shaft notch.

I have a 60, but many 4X4's will get a drive-line "bind" when operated in 4low. My 60 and my old 40 will be difficult to get out of 4low sometimes. To make it easier and remove the bind, try backing up 20-30 feet.

This makes mine shift easily.

Just another idea if the vacuum shift is working.

Thanks everyone for the replies! @LAMBCRUSHER and @mwebfj60 were right. Damn lever pin sunk in about a 1/4" and fxxxed my day right up haha. Guess I just needed another body to slowly move the lever for me so I could push the pin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom