CANCELED- Rubicon Trail -Sept 7th 2020 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

While I am indeed a truck owner, it is very doubtful one of my vehicles would make it out for the trip.

Count me in as an attendee but not a driver.

I like the planning and thought that is going into this. It is going to be an awesome trip!

I think this trip takes the ‘Earliest Planning’ Award. I don’t think I have ever planned vacation time 10 months in advance...ever.

@Jester is Tim Minner. He is my 2nd on the trailer. Is it possible to add the vehicle to the list, nice to see the diversity.
We both will be in FJ40's

thanks

Last edited:
I went ahead and just blocked off the month (seriously)... this is going to be awesome!

So, what do we do after Rubicon and Fordyce?

Reno!
There are some other milder OHV trails around there too.
Here is some good video of Fordyce, though I'm pretty sure (hope) the water levels will be lower at the crossings. The majority of the video is Fordyce, and just last bit is Rubicon.

Last edited:
I LIKE where this is going.... after all: while we're out there.

That said I WOULD consider driving out towing the 60 if there were plans to maybe do something in Colorado or Black Hills or...? "on the way home". Hell let's block out September AND October!

Screw it, I am goin to resign and block off 2020, let’s hit every major trail in the continental US, then head down to Baja for some fish tacos.

Reno!
There are some other milder OHV trails around there too.
Here is some good video of Fordyce, though I'm pretty sure (hope) the water levels will be lower at the crossings. The majority of the video is Fordyce, and just last bit is Rubicon.

Yes, I have no desire to go drive through a 3' deep river!

Screw it, I am goin to resign and block off 2020, let’s hit every major trail in the continental US, then head down to Baja for some fish tacos.

"Mental health sabbatical"

**** yeah!

Good thread. Can I go? I will get home from Alaska 9/11 and I love starting the trail on Monday. You'll have 2-3 days of empty trail. Good weather extremely likely. It's surreal. In fact, there is an awesome camp just beyond the start I'd recommend for Sunday night.

Get it in your head now that Fordyce may not be possible even in September and especially if you have full size rigs along. Fordyce was a serious challenge in my 40. That first water crossing is deep and dangerous. For me Fordyce is interesting as opposed to fun. But I would not run Fordyce in a truck I planned to drive home to the East coast.

I highly recommend you not rush through this. Can you do it in 3 days? Sure. But if I were you, I'd spend at least 1 full day of down time at Buck Island, and another in Rubicon Springs. This is not a casual recommendation and will increase the fun factor of your vacation.

I saw someone posting about a 100 series. It's definitely possible. But it comes with a whole level of front end risk that you may not want if you want to drive home. I've seen it done twice. Many, many stacked rocks. And lockers basically mandatory.

Group size-40s and Minis travel faster than wagons. Not a huge deal and I've run in mixed company for years. Definitely put the diesel(s) on the rear of the train. They are mind bendingly loud in the quiet of the Rubicon. 80s do well on the Rubicon for some reason, don't hesitate to bring one. Mine's gone through several times on a 4 inch lift and 35s. Probably best to travel as a group so no one gets lost. (Easy, especially out on the slabs)

You probably realize that you won't have cell coverage and there's no one to call for help anyway.

Everyone got a ham radio?

If I can go with, I'll put it on the schedule now. I saw @Onur on the thread-If you want to fly and ride, I've got a seat for you.

And if anyone wants to fly out here and buy my 40 to do the Rubicon with, we can talk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom