Can power tilt steering column be manually adjusted? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Like a lot of others the motors have gone out on my steering wheel. I’d like to “set and forget” the tilt. It’s currently too low for my comfort.

I’ve seen several videos re the telescoping motor, and how it’s on a worm gear you must adjust manually before installing a new motor. Can’t seem to find info on the tilt part though. Is there a similar way to adjust the tilt on the column without replacing the motor?

@BamaLandCruiser What year? Land Cruiser or LX470?

There's no 5 minute fix, if that's what you're hoping for. Replacing the motor, if that's what the problem is, is as much work as resetting the position, so why not do it the right way?

How do you know the motor is bad? Have you used the troubleshooting procedure in the FSM?

@BamaLandCruiser What year? Land Cruiser or LX470?

There's no 5 minute fix, if that's what you're hoping for. Replacing the motor, if that's what the problem is, is as much work as resetting the position, so why not do it the right way?

How do you know the motor is bad? Have you used the troubleshooting procedure in the FSM?
05 LC. I know there’s no easy fix but I didn’t want to have to spend the $$ on the new motor. With rare exception I’ll be the only driver so I’m content setting it in one place. I did think about replacing the motor and disabling the auto-set feature (another thread said it’s tied to the door/key chime). I can hear things kinda working in the column but nothing moves. I could telescope up but I’m scared of it getting set in an uncomfortable spot and going out too.

You can turn the automated tilt and telescope function off and those motors will last a lot longer.

If you do have to buy the two motors try amayama.

Yes - you can manually set the tilt at any angle you desire until you can get the new motors.

You can turn the automated tilt and telescope function off and those motors will last a lot longer.

If you do have to buy the two motors try amayama.

Yes - you can manually set the tilt at any angle you desire until you can get the new motors.
How?

One reason to set the telescope fully 'out' is so that you can easily pull the instrument cluster to replace the burned out 'D' bulb! ;)

Aight so here’s where I am. I’ve removed that bottom bolt underneath that tightens on to the rod extending from the motor (last pic). I still can’t get the wheel to tilt. What else do I need to do?

IMG_6251.png

IMG_6283.jpeg

IMG_6288.jpeg

got it done. Turns out there is in fact a 5 min fix.

Remove those three bolts (top one has a match on the other side of the column. That removes the wheel from the motor. Push wheel up to your desired height. Manually spin the motor counter clockwise until the holes line back up with the wheel. Put those three bolts back and you’re good to go. Oh and didn’t plug the motor back in.

Thanks to all who helped out.

IMG_6283.jpeg

Funny thing is I thought my motor was done when I first bought my '07. It would go up and down but wouldn't come in and out. Once I got a new battery all functions started working again ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Funny thing is I thought my motor was done when I first bought my '07. It would go up and down but wouldn't come in and out. Once I got a new battery all functions started working again ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
There’s a lot of info on that telescopic feature. Not so much on the tilt.

So my LC seemed to be the opposite of most here. The tilt has worked since I bought it and is set to move after shutting down and turning on.

Telescopic never worked yet, new battery is less that one year old. Pulled the top part apart and could move the wheel but putting power to the motor it never had juice. Still didn’t yank it off because it is kinda of a PITA to get to. I have a motor sitting on my desk 😅

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom