Buying my first Landcruiser! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I had a 4Runner. Loved it until my son wrecked it. Went a year without a vehicle because I only had liability on it, it now buying a 1988 FJ62. If all goes well I should pick it up Monday or Tuesday. Looking forward to learning a lot from y’all. I was so used to the idiosyncrasies of the 3rd Gen 4Runner that it almost feels like starting over again on the 62, but I’m glad for the extra torque of an inline 6 and the simplicity of dual leaf springs.

I plan on using this as my hunting/fishing/overland/camping rig. Not a rock crawler but want to be able to clear the moderate rocks when needed. I’m thinking on upgrading to 16” rims and 255/85R16 BFG KO2s when the stock tires go out.

8FEF8787-3DED-4991-948D-8A464F783133.jpeg

6A154715-85A4-4617-8124-9CE93CDBBB49.jpeg

9510F2A2-1330-415A-AC5E-B474925EF4AB.jpeg

1A11E0AB-8B67-486A-A0AF-307A14A2C0E2.jpeg

88BFC09C-47AC-4C40-9BB3-196CF2318C13.jpeg

Last edited:
Welcome.

Hope the price was reasonable....looks like you've got some nasty roof rust coming through...hopefuly that fresh paint isnt hiding anything else.
$12,000. The frame is spotless, and I’ll take body rust over frame rust every time. I’ll be doing some Bondo/fiberglass patches for sure, but it’s never going to be a show car for me. some photos in the original post to and some here show the undercarriage.

D263327C-5A03-43EE-A667-3836E14FEEFB.jpeg

715ACF1C-55D1-4531-9AD3-5C7E82F38B04.jpeg

794323AD-59BF-4C79-A7AC-B3A9198021E1.jpeg

Ha. I’m the other way…I’ll take a rusty frame over body work 😂. At least your price wasn’t bad (by todays LC craze standards) and you knew about the corrosion. Frame looks good.

That is what I use mine for. I did an OME suspension upgrade, went to 31s (stock wheels) and upgraded to a 5 speed. I do no rock climbing but do have to occasionally forge a creek or climb some soft hills. Handles it great. Enjoy.
PXL_20220212_130628697.jpg

That is what I use mine for. I did an OME suspension upgrade, went to 31s (stock wheels) and upgraded to a 5 speed. I do no rock climbing but do have to occasionally forge a creek or climb some soft hills. Handles it great. Enjoy.

Love that brown! Looks beautiful! As much as I’d love a 5-speed, my disabilities (and the fact my wife cannot rive a manual transmission and is unwilling to learn) make it a non-starter. We love to trail ride together, and with all I have going on medically, we need to be ready in case she has to take over the driving responsibilities. I will drive it for a bit and see if it could use a better diff gear ratio before putting in a locker in the rear (and maybe the front).

Looking real good, other than that right side roof line. Have you driven it yet?

I've owned both a 3rd gen and FJ62. 62 is definitely preferable IMO. Way cooler, more robust, and can be a fine "overlanding" ride despite the lack of power when comparing to the 3.4.
Those wheels are so nice, I wouldn't abandon them. My advice is to use it with stock suspension and 31's for awhile to see if this meets your needs.
Becoming familiarized with the basics of this model will be priority number 1.

there are some cosmetic things that are also somewhat practical, but not major, where the 60 shines over the 62. I really prefer the round headlights. They’re not major, but if I can source the parts at the right price, I plan on doing a door and headlight swap. I also really want to swap to manual windows at some point.

Manual window swap will include manual window regulators avail from toyota. don't cheap out and get aftermarket. But you'll need to source some 60 door cards with the hole for the crank. They are NLA...no longer avail from toyota. You'll have to look for used ones. The classified section here is a good place to look ...parts and parting out sections. Then you will need regulator handle aka "cranks", the snap ring and the escutcheon. All this is available from toyota. download the 84-90 chassis and body FSM in the resources section. It will show you how to disassemble the door.

1647765539933.png

Headlights might be a bigger project. Not only do you need new grille and headlight doors, but you'll need so swap out the lower valance. I believe the 62 conforms to the 62 grille and not the 60 grille. Beyond that you'll need the edit : headlight buckets and rings that hold the round lamps and adjust them and their hardware. The core support aka radiator support. This stuff is ALL NLA. you might get some bites if you post an ad in the classifieds to trade with someone who wants 62 lights in his 60 then you can try and even swap.

Last edited:
FWIW, my 60 got wrecked on the interstate a few years back by a person that was not maintaining their vehicle and lost control. I had to deal with their insurance company and they wanted to total my truck for very little money. I only had liability so I had to fight with them to get paid. Now I have "stated value" for my truck with MY insurance so this doesn't happen again. And if my truck gets totalled I will have enough funds to replace it with something of equal value no questions asked.

there are some cosmetic things that are also somewhat practical, but not major, where the 60 shines over the 62. I really prefer the round headlights. They’re not major, but if I can source the parts at the right price, I plan on doing a door and headlight swap. I also really want to swap to manual windows at some point.
Good luck with that. If you do make a move forward on this, there's a Mud member named Mike Hanson who's been begging for an FJ62 core support for years, to no avail. I believe it has to be swapped out in favor of the 60 support. FJ60 Grill in a FJ62 - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/fj60-grill-in-a-fj62.74119/

The FJ62 power window operation kinda sucks, but can be revamped.

Manual windows? It's a long reach and a hard crank from the driver's seat to the right passenger rear. I have front door cards in gray for FJ60 lying around somewhere.

The FJ62 power window operation kinda sucks, but can be revamped.

Manual windows? It's a long reach and a hard crank from the driver's seat to the right passenger rear. I have front door cards in gray for FJ60 lying around somewhere.
I’m going to see how well they work. Just got admitted to the hospital for an infection (I’m immune-compromise, and kind of a medical unicorn so I have to be admitted for every little thing). This is possibly going to delay me picking up the 62 until mid-week unless they release me in time tomorrow to keep my appointment (I’m hoping!)

I guess I will just get some better 4x6 DOT approved LED headlights and call it good because I don’t want to replace the entire grille and control wiring. So going to keep it stock for a couple months and plan my upgrades slowly (except the radio, because it has none… that’s getting fixed immediately!)

I have a FJ60 radiator Support if you need one for your project.
It is off a 84 FJ60 that was t boned I also have the front fender wells if you need them.

I have a FJ60 radiator Support if you need one for your project.
It is off a 84 FJ60 that was t boned I also have the front fender wells if you need them.
Thank you! I think it’s mostly in great shape, all stock. Only a little rust along the roof line/drip rail, and a few spots on the quarter panel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom