Buying a 1997 LX450 - Need advice most humbly (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Echoing everyone else, those are totally normal maintenance items. The rear leak is the Land Cruiser's way of protecting itself from rust, sort of like a Labrador Retriever's oily coat. ;)
@gummycarbs - Thank you so much for the care and replying. I was worried at first, but all of you have put me to ease. These are pretty bulletproof trucks. Year and time in the sun will def cause age. Didn't scare me off. :)

atlanta custom creations if they are close,i don't know how backed up they are so you would have to check.
i saw a place online in duluth called merrimens.
i don't have any experience with either outfit though i do most of my own work

Hey Everyone!
Today was my first full day as a LC owner. I drove her all day. Started out by getting some recycling out of the way, then some furniture moved, and after she had defended her utilitarian prowess... I took her through the S-curves and hilly roads in the outer reaches of Atlanta. Compared to what I had imagined, the Lexus is impeccably quiet for what it is. The engine grumbles with an affirmative and wise roar :).

Several people looked and some complimented. It is a most venerated rig :).

Here are my learnings from Day 1 and wanted to know what you all thought. I will take my time as I get her back to factory and renewed, but some small things I noted, and wanted to see what you all suggested.

1. Some heinous individual ripped off the awesome and retro radio aerial. Is this an expensive fix? I have seen some parts out there, just do not know how expensive it will be. Love the operation, and all my other cars have the "Shark Fins" - hence I welcome this antenna :)
2. Where are the Cup Holders? Dumb question, but I didn't find any :(.
3. Two Hazzard lights? One when depressed says DIFF LOCK on the instrument cluster.... but I know the car does not have lockers.
4. Struts for the front hood. They have failed, and I will replace them myself. Any suggestions on going OEM or better ?
5. Struts on the rear hatch are sagging - same issue as above - same comment ?
6. Extremely idiotic Q - 90++ Octane in this rig right? When in doubt that is what I do, the oil cap just said unleaded and I know that it's country cousin and DNA twin takes 87 :).
7. Power mirror on passenger side is doing a little jiggy dance. I heard and read this is common. Repair advice?
8. Where is the 6 Disc CD Changer? Very stupid I know - just asking :)
9. Only the screen is lighting up on the Lexus OEM head unit. Does that mean the light is out? Worth the fix or swap for another OEM head unit. They are like $50-$74 for the OEM Pioneer "Lexus" branded ones :).
10. Light on the Auto Shifter is out. Easy fix ?

That is all I have found for now :). I am sure more to come. Love Love Love driving this thing.

.... Shot of 'RockFox' on Day 1 :)

LX450 - Day 1.jpg

Last edited:
1) Probably best to find a used antenna or pony up for an OEM unit. Try @arcteryx or @slow95z they might have one.
2) No real cupholders to speak of unless you have a line on square cups. @bhicks has what you need.
3) The spots for the diff locks are included on all 80s of that vintage, whether they have them or not. It could be that the bulb next to them is illuminating the diff lock "idiot lights".
4) Aftermarket is fine. Qty(2) Hood Lift Supports Gas Struts Shocks For Toyota Land Cruiser 1990-97 | eBay
5) Same as 4. Check eBay. 91-97 LAND CRUISER REAR HATCH LIFTGATE GATE LIFT TRUNK SUPPORTS SHOCKS STRUTS | eBay
6) The trucks run better on no ethanol fuel. I have a station in my town that has 89 octane no ethanol gas and I use that when in town. On the road, I try to find other options, but pony up for 91 octane no ethanol when I have to. Ethanol gas is cancer to any vehicle made before 2002 at least and could be trouble for anything made after too. Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada
7) Try the screw under the mirror, otherwise live with it or go in for surgery per the threads you read. The zip tie method seems adequate for most.
8&9) I am not savvy on those. I have a '94 without the changer but I think it might be under the driver's seat.
10) I don't think there is a light on the shifter. The D light on the dash is a common failure, but you have to pull the dash apart to replace the bulb.

Welcome to the team!

Last edited:
With 2 hazard switches it sound like one of them was added for your center diff lock, this is a common modification and means you can lock your center diff without having to be in low range. No issues just remember which switch does what. ( usually the left one is for the locker)
Your 6 disc changer is on the back of your center console

As for #3...

Sounds like someone installed at second hazard switch to be used as a center diff lock button.

All cruisers have a center diff lock. In factory configuration, the center diff is locked automatically when the transfer case is put in low range(Yellow ABS and diff lock lights on left side of dash turn on). There are 2 cheap and common mods to allow the driver to control the diff locks(including axle lockers if equipped)

1. Install a center diff lock switch(for more info search CDL switch)

2. “Pin 7 mod” - which is to remove 1 wire(pin7) from the connector of the locker module. This interrupts the signal to automatically lock the center diff.
Search pin 7 mod...

With both mods completed you now will be able to lock the center diff in high range and unlock the diff in low range(ie for towing a boat up a steep ramp w/o needed traction from center diff)... for the people with axle lockers, they can be used in high range.

The internals of the hazard switch and CDL switch are the same and can be interchanged, so consider that a freebie!!!

So what would this truck have been worth guys if it had been triple locked?

There is a light that illuminates the shifter position. Remove the hump cover and you'll find it easily.
So, after reading this, I went outside and tapped on the shifter and sure enough the light came on. Thanks again, I feel kinda dumb now. I have been driving around in the dark this thing for 18 months . :)

Last edited:
You fixed it for free! Always a win.
Still wondering why it needed the tap. I will probably take a closer look when I get around to it and just make sure the bulb is seated properly or just put a new one in. Thanks for the tip. Always good to learn something new about these trucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom