Build Date vs Model Year vs Parts Application (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2thdoc

SILVER Star
Threads
Over the past two years I've moved the family, changed jobs and my mother passed away (no violins please, I'm just explaining my slow progress on the 40). They say big events come in 3's, so I should be good for awhile.

So now I'm full blown back into it. As an aside, anyone that says, "if you take it apart there's a good chance it will be years and years before you drive it again" is 100% right. Think long and hard before you disassemble for a restoration!

My question is: my build date is September 1975 (9/75) which seems to be a major break point when shopping for various parts. Am I safe to buy parts listed for 9/75 and later, or will it depend on the part and I may find I need 9/75 and earlier? Am I making sense?

IMG_0115.JPG

You're are making perfect sense. When changes are made the date is related to the parts you will need. Parts on your car were MFG. on or before 9/75 so normally those are the replacement parts you will need. That does preclude that an updated or newer part will not work but there is no guarantee especially if an electrical connector is involved. You may need to research what the difference is in the part before resorting to newer parts but sometimes they may be all you can find.

Good Luck on your work.

I almost forgot, the model year is just the year it was released for sale and the production date lets you know what month it was actually assembled.

FJ40 built in Japan, sits on their dock for 2 months, spends another 1-2 months on a ship, sits on USA dock for 2 months, goes to dealership and sits on his lot for 2 months- - -all of the sudden it's a year later when you buy- - -sooooo FJ40's parts go by frame number, not year model.

Thanks for the replies! In the picture I've attached, would the 1958-9/75 Front Axle Nut & Washer Kit or the 9/75-1/98 Front Axle Nut & Washer Kit be the appropriate fit?

I'm not actually buying this part, but it is a good example of what I'm talking about.

IMG_0117.PNG

So you have. 76 model. Only thing I know that is different then other 76 is you have or did have lap belts. Three point seat belts started 1/76. Those and 77 model have a bracket on the hard top side for the seat belt. Moved to the roll bar with the 78 model in the US market. Other markets that didn't get a roll bar but got three point seat continued to get the brackets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom