Bruce: the Great White 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Today we made some solid progress. Axle is ready for rotors and hubs.

20210904_140812.jpg

20210904_185033.jpg

20210904_185230.jpg

20210904_140833.jpg

Knuckles packed full of Moly, new bearings and races and fresh hardware where I had the right sizes.

And while I was working on that Erin was busy with the roof sealant, re-sealing the windshield. It has leaked since we got it. Classic, aftermarket install bit they clearly didn't follow the FSM. Hopefully this will take care of that.

IMG_5615.jpg

Then after a bite of lunch we went after some of the other maintenance that are on the list.

Erin put in some fresh plugs while I swapped out the broken fan and shroud with a replacement from Ole Bertha that got from my pal Eric aka @Land Speeder several years ago.

IMG_5624.jpg

Old vs new
20210904_163201.jpg

20210904_163207.jpg

Before the new fan and shroud went in, I replaced all 3 belts because you gotta take all that crap off to replace them, i had a fresh set and they had been sitting a hot minute.

Last edited:
And whatever GD tiny handed little sh!t designed the fan shroud and fan combo on the 3FE can kiss my hairy white @$$... for those who've never had that pleasure, the shroud, a belt and the fan all are trying to occupy the same real-estate and you cannot get the bolts on the clutch fan without something giving. I've found the belt can be removed to give a little working room, but it is still a super PITA.

Anyway, after I wrapped that up I went ahead and knocked the old rotor off the hubs.

Crusty
20210904_185040.jpg

Shiney and sexy.

20210904_185128.jpg

20210904_185050.jpg

I'll clean the hubs up tomorrow and get these rotors, that I've had in storage for years, bolted on tomorrow.

And now I'm on step 6.

20210904_190449.jpg

10 hours in the shop is a good run for today, but probably need that many more to get it back on all 4's and then we'll see if he remembers how to crank over. Been a hot minute, but soon

Today we made some solid progress. Axle is ready for rotors and hubs.

View attachment 2777560

View attachment 2777559

And while I was working on that Erin was busy with the roof sealant, re-sealing the windshield. It has leaked since we got it. Classic, aftermarket install bit they clearly didn't follow the FSM. Hopefully this will take care of that.

View attachment 2777567

What indicators did you have that it was leaking? Also, how is the windshield installation unique per the 80's FSM?

Why ... The windshield on the '95 was replaced due to the tree hitting it. Now when it is in the rain, there is noticeable water in the rocker panels for a couple of days until it all weeps out. The shop that installed the windshield and the sunroof rechecked the work but I strongly suspect one or the other might be the culprit.
Thanks

What indicators did you have that it was leaking? Also, how is the windshield installation unique per the 80's FSM?

Why ... The windshield on the '95 was replaced due to the tree hitting it. Now when it is in the rain, there is noticeable water in the rocker panels for a couple of days until it all weeps out. The shop that installed the windshield and the sunroof rechecked the work but I strongly suspect one or the other might be the culprit.
Thanks

The proper installation of an 80 windshield requires sealant be installed along the groove of the rubber gasket and then be installed on the glass and then installed.

Often times glass installers assume since it is gasketed it does not require sealant, so they just put the gasket on and then seat it. It will leak. Mine was primarily noticed in the corners at the dash. I used to place paper towels in the corner of the dash to try and minimize the leakage.

My guess is they didn't put sealant in the gasket. Next time it rains, check the corners of the windshield, I suspect you will find water weeping in.

Last edited:
Well, today was a decent day. Cleaned up the hubs, repacked the bearings and installed new seals.
20210905_151049.jpg

Then after a liberal application of anti-seize, new rotors went on.

20210905_151053.jpg

Then all back on the axle.

20210905_151100.jpg

Was going to re-use the calipers since they aren't that old, but the bleeder is super crusty and not sure I want to take a chance on the pistons being seized. Napa has some in stock, so I'll just swap them out for a fresh set.

Pulled the old front driveshaft out and got the DC ready to go, just need to hit it with the grease gun and it will be ready to go in.

Drained the oil and installed a WIX 51773 filter. This is the big filter @FJ60Cam uses on his cop motors, so figured it can't hurt.

20210905_154844.jpg

It's ginormous.

So need to fill it up with oil, top off the coolant and pick up a battery and I should be in a spot to see if it will even crank over. I will probably drain the tank and put some fresh non-ethanol in the there before I give it a try. I have a fuel filter to swap in, but want to run some fuel thru it first. May as well wreck the old filter real good and not ruin a brand new one.

Getting close. Maybe he'll roll out by the end of the week... fingers crossed.

Well, today was a decent day. Cleaned up the hubs, repacked the bearings and installed new seals.
View attachment 2778262

Then after a liberal application of anti-seize, new rotors went on.

View attachment 2778264

Then all back on the axle.

View attachment 2778263

Was going to re-use the calipers since they aren't that old, but the bleeder is super crusty and not sure I want to take a chance on the pistons being seized. Napa has some in stock, so I'll just swap them out for a fresh set.

Pulled the old front driveshaft out and got the DC ready to go, just need to hit it with the grease gun and it will be ready to go in.

Drained the oil and installed a WIX 51773 filter. This is the big filter @FJ60Cam uses on his cop motors, so figured it can't hurt.

View attachment 2778260

It's ginormous.

So need to fill it up with oil, top off the coolant and pick up a battery and I should be in a spot to see if it will even crank over. I will probably drain the tank and put some fresh non-ethanol in the there before I give it a try. I have a fuel filter to swap in, but want to run some fuel thru it first. May as well wreck the old filter real good and not ruin a brand new one.

Getting close. Maybe he'll roll out by the end of the week... fingers crossed.

I will need to pick one up so I can see inside at the filter.
All things equal, the logic implies
Larger filter => larger filter surface area => slower flow rate over filter surface area => better particle entrapment

Thanks for the tip. Also, a deeper filter on the 1FZ should improve its accessibility for removal.

I will need to pick one up so I can see inside at the filter.
All things equal, the logic implies
Larger filter => larger filter surface area => slower flow rate over filter surface area => better particle entrapment

Thanks for the tip. Also, a deeper filter on the 1FZ should improve its accessibility for removal.

Larry, when you go to the parts store that sells WIX ask for it by the number 51773. It is a forklift filter and most stores I have been to usually just have 1 in stock if any. Napa may have a gold brand, never asked for one from there.

I have tie-rod ends, just need to measure the old ones so I can make sure I get them close to the same before I pull the old ones out

Larry, when you go to the parts store that sells WIX ask for it by the number 51773. It is a forklift filter and most stores I have been to usually just have 1 in stock if any. Napa may have a gold brand, never asked for one from there.

Thanks

FYI NAPA's website shows NAPA Gold 1773 as equivalent to the Wix 51773

Didn't grab any pics today, but I did add oil and top off the coolant, so we have fluids. I stopped and got one caliper from napa, but unlike the website, the store only had the one, so I have to go back to get the drivers side tomorrow. Picked up some hard lines to bend to replace the crusty ones and I got new soft lines ordered that I'll grab tomorrow as well. Once those are on, I think it will be time to roll it back under and reattach everything. The only thing I'm struggling with is the steering. The old tie-rod and drag link are not giving up their dead, so I need to call around tomorrow to see if I can get my hands on something asap.

Close...

Didn't grab any pics today, but I did add oil and top off the coolant, so we have fluids. I stopped and got one caliper from napa, but unlike the website, the store only had the one, so I have to go back to get the drivers side tomorrow. Picked up some hard lines to bend to replace the crusty ones and I got new soft lines ordered that I'll grab tomorrow as well. Once those are on, I think it will be time to roll it back under and reattach everything. The only thing I'm struggling with is the steering. The old tie-rod and drag link are not giving up their dead, so I need to call around tomorrow to see if I can get my hands on something asap.

Close...
Not sure how desperate you are or if it’ll even work given the axle differences, but I just pulled the high steer off my truck and have the drag link sitting in the corner. Pretty sure it uses 80 series tie rod ends (it was a Sky’s kit). I’d have to ship it so it may not help you that much.

You probably don’t want used stuff on your shiny new axle, but I can get you measurements if you’re interested. The TREs and rod look to be in pretty good shape.

Looking great!

Not sure how desperate you are or if it’ll even work given the axle differences, but I just pulled the high steer off my truck and have the drag link sitting in the corner. Pretty sure it uses 80 series tie rod ends (it was a Sky’s kit). I’d have to ship it so it may not help you that much.

You probably don’t want used stuff on your shiny new axle, but I can get you measurements if you’re interested. The TREs and rod look to be in pretty good shape.

Looking great!

I appreciate the offer, but im pretty sure the 80 axles are a good bit wider than the mini axles. I am not sure what the plan is, but I got to get it sorted out.

Picked up the other caliper and 2 soft lines today.
20210907_202847.jpg

Install tomorrow and see if I can stuff this thing back under the truck.

It saddens me to see you have resorted to the use of a 4x4 to help hold up your truck. So, I’m going to set up a “go fund me” page to raise money for a 2 post lift for you. I‘m also going to start a FB page called “Free Jynx”, it worked for Britney maybe it will for you.

Free Jynx…Free Jynx…Free Jynx

It saddens me to see you have resorted to the use of a 4x4 to help hold up your truck. So, I’m going to set up a “go fund me” page to raise money for a 2 post lift for you. I‘m also going to start a FB page called “Free Jynx”, it worked for Britney maybe it will for you.

Free Jynx…Free Jynx…Free Jynx

Hahahahaha, I really don't know where to go on that. The 4x4 is mainly just there to make me feel better about it being front heavy. I'm pretty sure the 12T stands got it, but they are behind the control arm mounts and it sure seemed to want to tip when I was pulling the axle, so I wedged that under there to make me feel better.

Well I'm beat to dog S. I've hit the "this is not fun anymore" level but I guess I can sleep when I'm dead...

Both calipers are now on with new soft lines.
20210908_210358.jpg

Long OE hard line is on, but I need the little clip to secure the soft line in the mount. The short OE line is fubard and I tried to make a new one out of a section of preferred line, F'd that one up, so will have to pick up another piece to try tomorrow.

I do think that the making of the replacement frame line that started all this crap was a reasonable success.

20210908_204807.jpg

Once I get that one back on, then I think we should be ready to try and slide the axle back under the truck.

I need to change the oil in the VW and plug one of the tires on the LX, so we'll be back at the 80 once those are checked off the list.

Well, we took some time to go visit our pals on ATL this weekend to have a couple beers and take in a Braves game. This stadium is amazing! And our seats, well...
20210911_211825.jpg

So when I got home today, after a samich I hit the front end again.

I took another run at trying to build a new line and got it in there. It ain't real pretty, but it will hold fluid.
20210912_173918.jpg

Then I took a run at replacing the original offender. I cleaned up the frame bracket real good and decided to try something different with it. Got it real hot with the MAPP gas then dunked it in some old oil. I think it turned out good.
20210912_171247.jpg

Then I worked the bracket, new line and the new extended stainless line in on the frame.
20210912_173950.jpg

Then I removed the old panhard from the frame mount with a little MAPP persuasion. And now everything should be ready to start putting the axle back underneath.

So this week, I will work on getting it back in place and get it ready to start bolting the front end back underneath.

After all that, I figured I'd go ahead and pull the Pig into bay 2 to do some crawl prep in-between 80 work.
20210912_182721.jpg

Don't mind the mess, need to tidy up the shop a little after all the madness.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom