Broken Bolt. Help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dang it- sorry that welding tip didn't work. Hopefully the welder that came over did you right.

Ok peep's time to put a dab of grease on the backside of that bracket to provide some corrosion protection and slow lubricant creep into that bolt.

Time to get busy with drill, both attempts at welding were a bust
20190316_123751.jpg

Or drill through and use a nut and bolt!

well, if the female thread has a death grip on the bolt that is stronger than the strength of the bolt itself, there is not much you can do with welding, weird sockets or anything. However, the welding bit could not only help with the loosening through thermal expansion but will also possibly temper the bolt which would make it less likely to break. And also also make it easier to drill so your welding attempts may help after all. Not wasted time or money at all if that can make you feel better!
Have you tried putting a torch on the bracket itself (not the bolt) if you are not worried about your seals too much? That could also help.
If you can afford the $, buy a left hand drill bit, that could very well undo it when you start drilling.

Sorry for your pain... IH8 it when one dupid issue takes a few days to rectify.

Thanks for everone for helpful suggestions, encouragement and sympathies. Drilling turned out to be a quick 1 hour job. I won't bother with tapping for the threads, instead I will put a through bolt and a nut on the other side.

Now I just need to figure out a way to hold the crank pulley strongly enough to torque the bolt correctly

Over kill it! Time-sert or helicoil.

Toyota SST Harmonic balancer holder
or
Chain wrench from Ace, HF, HD or Lowes. Just wrap harmonic balancer with old drive belt to protect from chain wrench bite. Oil sending unit must be removed, as it's in the way. You'll need some FIPG 102 or 103 to seal threads of oil sending unit, when you reinstall it.

Lexus Mechanic showed me this.

This was busting loose. Torquing on, I swing jack and chain wrench to LH side

Last edited:
Over kill it! Time-sert or helicoil.

Toyota SST Harmonic balancer holder
or
Chain wrench from Ace, HF, HD or Lowes. Just wrap harmonic balancer with old drive belt to protect from chain wrench bite. Oil sending unit must be removed, as it's in the way. You'll need some FIPG 102 or 103 to seal threads of oil sending unit, when you reinstall it.

Lexus Mechanic showed me this.

This was busting loose. Torquing on, I swing jack and chain wrench to LH side

@2001LC your suggestion of using a chain wrench was excellent. Made short work holding the pulley tight while I torqued the crank bolt! And taking off the oil sander unit was a great idea too.
20190317_144253.jpg

Also, want to give a shout out to my big hearted friend @ogsuv . He gave me his pulley holding tool for this job and didn't mind my ruining it! Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom