Builds Brian894x4 is Back with a GX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.brian894x4.com
Many of you probably don't remember me, but some may. Years ago, I built a 1989 Toyota pickup for regional expedition travel to explore historical sites in the Pacific Northwest. I had a website that documented all of those travels, but had a ton of information about "foreign Toyotas" etc. In 2006 I purchased a 1994 FZJ80 and built that up to replace the truck. The entire build was documented on these forums and on my website, but by 2010 I had to sell the Land Cruiser for financial reasons and I let the website lapse, although it still exists today, just not updated in the last 8 years. I couldn't even look at or think about Toyotas or Land Cruisers or off roading because it was so depressing that I didn't have my Land Cruiser any longer that I spent countless hours of blood sweat and tears building and enjoying.

But all that has changed. I was able to purchase a GX470 to replace my Land Cruiser and I have big plans to built it up much like the Land Cruiser was and even better. I'll be on here a lot posting my build for anyone interested and researching my eyes out on all your projects and looking for information and tips.

The very first project for me is going to be a lift and new suspension so I can fit bigger tires. The number of options available is a bit overwhelming in terms of suspension. I miss just picking out a set of OME springs and shocks like I did on the 80 series and calling it good. So the research continues....

I've settled on the tires. 285/70-17s Duratracs on the stock wheels. So just have to make the suspension fit that set up.

I'm not a super big fan of the green color and I've noticed that it seems to be a pretty rare color so I'm curious if anyone else has a similar color GX built up. I'm curious what mine will eventually look like.

Oh and lastly specs are 2008 GX470 all stock for now, 120K miles. And for those who may remember, the old website is still up. Its www.brian894x4.com

And if anyone knows...I'm kind of curious now who owns my FZJ80 and if its still around and being posted on this board. Last I heard it was in Arizona or something like but that was a few years ago.

IMG_8843.jpg

ExpeditionLCaction0809x002.jpg

Modspage01a.jpg

I remember your posts and website, mainly from when I was building up my LX450 and doing research on various things. I just sold it to fund my GX build.

Just fyi, I was told by the folks at Slee that Duratracs in that size on stock wheels with the OME kit they sell would have rub issues due to width with side lugs. That’s why I went with the BFG KO2 in that size as they said it would fit no problem. Plus I read a lot of good things about the tire. Not trying to talk you into or out of anything, just passing intel.

Wow, blast from the past! Nice to see you're back at it, always appreciated your website and contributions to the fora over the years.

I remember your posts and website, mainly from when I was building up my LX450 and doing research on various things. I just sold it to fund my GX build.

Just fyi, I was told by the folks at Slee that Duratracs in that size on stock wheels with the OME kit they sell would have rub issues due to width with side lugs. That’s why I went with the BFG KO2 in that size as they said it would fit no problem. Plus I read a lot of good things about the tire. Not trying to talk you into or out of anything, just passing intel.

Excellent advise! I’ll take it. Ive heard bits about that but now i understand why so ill take a look at the ko2s. What suspension are u running?

I appreciate any insight or advise and im very new to this model.

Good to have you back. I have been to your site lots of times and remember your builds.

You will like the GX, and by the way, the color you landed is one of the best. Can't wait to see where this one goes.

I bought the OME nitro charger shocks and 2887 front coils and 2896 rear coils. Ben spent time with me discussing how I would be outfitting and using the rig and talking vehicle lines to make it look nice (to me that is secondary). It sits a bit high in rear empty but more level when loaded and that is most important to me. It is not like an 80 with heavy front/med rear decisions. There are more spring options. That is why it was so nice to able to sit down and talk to them. I also got the SPC control arms and airbag delete kit.

Nice to be giving you some intel for a change..haha

Welcome to the GX470s. Your FZJ80 was one of my favorites. You will find the GX470 to be more comfortable and more fuel efficient, but it ain't no 80!

You went with the fat tall tires, so you will need to figure out how to fit this fat tire in the spare tire location. You will need to trim things inside the wheel fenders. You might even need new rims with a negative offset to fit these fatter tires.

Look at the spreadsheet with tire/wheel information at start [GX Offroad]

Look at some suspensions at GX470 Primer for the Ideal Mild-Build for Under $3000

I’m running Cooper ST MAXX, 285-70-17, w/ 8.5 wheel, 0-offset, OME suspension, SPC UCAs. Other than getting rid of some plastic on the inner fenderwell, tires fit fine.

Brian,

Is that picture taken off Knapp Road right off Mt Scott Road in SE?

I live about 5 minutes from there if so.

Congrats on the new rig - I loved that color!

I've owned both the Duratrac and the Ko2 (I've actually put Ko2's on 3 vehicles now including my GX). I can't say enough good things about the BFG's!

I had Duratracs and Ko2's on my old XJ and the Duratracs definitely were louder, wore faster and did not perform as well as the Ko2's in snow/ice.

I remember your site! Glad tonsee more 80 folks getting into the 120 platform.

Welcome to the GX life! I have driven ridge grapplers cross country and on trail for a long time now and they are superior to ko2 for sure

I'm leaning towards the BFG K02s, but in regards to size I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts on 275/70-17s on stock wheels with the stock suspension (for now). I should mention this is going to be my daily driver, unlike my past rigs, so I have keep that into consideration. I still would like to go with a mild lift later, but would like to get a decent set of shoes on it as soon as I can.

From I've read it "seems" like they would fit with no lift. Maybe some minor trimming or bending her and there, no big deal. Or maybe with addition of wheel spacers? Any thoughts?

By the way, thanks for the awesome info and links...I've learned more in the last day from those links than I have with weeks of searching google.

WB. I remember running around with you and Tim in Trask when you guys were into finding railroad sites. You might talk with Mark of MetalTech on suspension. He's had a good amount of time in a 470 and has probably seen how different setups compare.

Keep in mind that you are going from stock tires 265/65R17s (30.6"x10.4") to 275/70R17s (32.2"x10.8"). This tire should fit in the spare location. I think 32.2" is close to the max diameter that will fit in the spare location.

I don't know if this tire will rub with stock suspension (which is likely sagging already in the front) and factory wheels.

Some people run the skinny tall tires on factory wheels and claim they don't rub at all. The spreadsheet has them listed. Skinny tall tires are 10" in width and either 32.1" tall or 33.1" tall. Those tires are the 255/75/17 and 255/80/17.

Some people find FJC wheels on craigslist and those have a +15 offset which is less than the +25 offset on the GX470 factory wheels. This will allow you to clear any issues with the 275/75R17s. Or use spacers.

Tire_Comparison.jpg

Last edited:
I'm running 265-70-17 BFG KO2's on stock wheels and have no rubbing at all...

I am interested to see how your build progresses, your previous rigs look sweet. Also, I think the green looks cool and unique!

I'm over in Tigard but spend a lot of time in Central Oregon, it would be fun to have an Oregon meet or trail run sometime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom