Builds BoltRipper's 2-year Overdue Build Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well its been some time now since I've updated this thread. The truck has about 13,000 miles since the 4.7L Install and I've had plenty of seat time.

To wrap this up, basically the truck is awesome. I've driven it every day since I got it back and I still feel that the two best parts of my day is the drive to work and then back home. I just can't wait to get in it and drive.

I want to thank Christo and the gang @sleeoffroad for all the hard work and Onur @beno from Land Cruiser Parts and Consulting for the expertise in helping me make the right decisions on keeping this all Toyota and doing it right the first time.

I've also thought about what I would have done differently and I really can't think of anything. I'm glad I went the extra mile with the new short block and completely rebuilding the heads to the new accessories (AC/PS/Starter/Coils/Alternator)... It just gives me a great feeling of New Toyota confidence knowing that I basically have a brand new 2UZFE powering my 80....

If you are on the fence about a swap like this, all I can say is that I would do it again in a heart beat...

John-

Very, very nice truck. You did a great job building it and I'm very jealous too.

I love your build. Like I said earlier, I daily a 4.7 tundra, come home to my '97 80....I would sell the tundy in an instant if the 80 had the driveability of the uzj motor. You've created the perfect vehicle, well done.

Needed to replace the E-Brake pads so went ahead and repacked the rear bearings as well during the service since the hub was off. New DBA Rotors and fresh OEM Pads and she holds on a hill now in neutral!

7293AE6F-F9F2-40EB-9AD5-4F809333D55B_zpsjwpxploq.jpg

220EADD5-6B30-4FE1-A761-85DAD469F432_zpsp6jnzokw.jpg

Last edited:
John (@Boltripper )
You are blessed with talent, support, vision and patience! I am amazed at the detail and cleanliness of all of your work AND your work space. Why there are teams of doctors trying to cure OCD is beyond me! ;)

What is your background? Is your job related to the auto industry or fabrication? Or is this just a hobby?

Again - outstanding work! This is better than new!

Last edited:
John (@Boltripper )
You are blessed with talent, support, vision and patience! I am amazed at the detail and cleanliness of all of your work AND your work space. Why there are teams of doctors trying to cure OCD is beyond me! ;)

What is your background? Is your job related to the auto industry or fabrication? Or is this just a hobby?

Again - outstanding work! This is better than new!

Thanks so very much for the comments.. I am truly blessed with many things, the least of which are my rig and shop area, but its a wonderful hobby for me. My background is in public safety, air-medical transfer and aviation.... My ocd comes from a bit of all that, as a lack of attention to detail in aviation or Law Enforcement will get you killed.

I really wanted to blend old school nostalgia with semi-new school technology with this truck and I think I've been successful in that endeavor. I'm really a project guy at heart and I've kind of ruined myself now with the finished product as there is just not much to do on her now. I've started looking for the next project, but can't seem to make a solid decision to start something else and part with the rig...

Other than just enjoying it, I'll probably start replacing older hardware with new OEM just for the restoration value and it will also give me something to do when I'm not on the road enjoying.

:cheers:

Thanks so very much for the comments.. I am truly blessed with many things, the least of which are my rig and shop area, but its a wonderful hobby for me. My background is in public safety, air-medical transfer and aviation.... My ocd comes from a bit of all that, as a lack of attention to detail in aviation or Law Enforcement will get you killed.

I really wanted to blend old school nostalgia with semi-new school technology with this truck and I think I've been successful in that endeavor. I'm really a project guy at heart and I've kind of ruined myself now with the finished product as there is just not much to do on her now. I've started looking for the next project, but can't seem to make a solid decision to start something else and part with the rig...

Other than just enjoying it, I'll probably start replacing older hardware with new OEM just for the restoration value and it will also give me something to do when I'm not on the road enjoying.

:cheers:

Yes - those professions demand an eye for detail! Thanks for the background - and I look forward to your updates.

Your rig is an absolute inspiration to me when i work on my rig. Now when i'm wrenching I think of your thread and the extra OEM bits and pieces you changed to make it that much more reliable when you service it. What is your mileage with the v8? I daily a 6.0 GM, but am a purist and would love an all toyota V8 in the 80.

cheers,

ulysses

This is a great build and a tremendous amount of info I've found useful in planning out my own build. I don't know if you remember or not, how much dynomat was required?

Your rig is an absolute inspiration to me when i work on my rig. Now when i'm wrenching I think of your thread and the extra OEM bits and pieces you changed to make it that much more reliable when you service it. What is your mileage with the v8? I daily a 6.0 GM, but am a purist and would love an all toyota V8 in the 80.

cheers,

ulysses

Ulysses,

Just finished a trip to Pittsburgh and back and averaged 16 mpg Highway... Now that she's starting to break in I'm seeing better mileage and just a smoother operating drivetrain... It was really the best trip so far, just effortless climbing the hills and mountains in West Virgina and Pennsylvania. So pleased with her performance.

John-

This is a great build and a tremendous amount of info I've found useful in planning out my own build. I don't know if you remember or not, how much dynomat was required?

I went overboard and covered everything... Probably about 6 boxes, but cant exactly remember... You can just do the necessary areas for much less and probably get comparable results.

Best,

John-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom