Bolt on turbo kit (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got it. Was thinking in terms of pressurized feed to the turbo which translates to residual back pressure on the outlet side back to engine. I can see where 'leftover' oil can be an issue however. Thanks for the insight.

Because it is a gravity drain there is no pump, trying to return the oil up hill to the valve cover would result in a big backup of oil in the turbo and lots of smoke.

Yep it is pressure feed but gravity drain, that is why the drain line is much larger than the feed and needs to be a pretty straight shot to the pan. No big dips, etc.

Got it. Was thinking in terms of pressurized feed to the turbo which translates to residual back pressure on the outlet side back to engine. I can see where 'leftover' oil can be an issue however. Thanks for the insight.

Still trying to make my way through 52 pages (GTRs really??) but I'm interested in seeing how this turns out. My 1FZ-FE is currently being reassembled after a full rebuild (possible Wix oil filter mistake - see other thread), so I mentioned this to my wife and she did not immediately kill the idea, so I'm working that! True she is on drugs in a surgical ward, but hey! Get the buy-in when you can, right?

I run 0w40 in all my cars. Turbo and NA. A lot of these old oil recommendations were before there were synthetics that could be thin in the cold and provide 40 weight like protection when hot.

5w40 would be fine

Thanks, any particular brand? (Mobil, Castro, AMSOIL, etc.). I appreciate your opinion as you have researched and pushed the 1FZ as hard as anyone on Mud.

I just use Mobil1 and Mobil1 filters.

Thanks, any particular brand? (Mobil, Castro, AMSOIL, etc.). I appreciate your opinion as you have researched and pushed the 1FZ as hard as anyone on Mud.

I’m a long term fan

40449E9E-40F3-4C8D-8CBC-828B6BE2915B.jpeg

Did you go from conventional to Mobil1? If so, any leaks?

I’ve learned after 31 years to just not ask her. Forgiveness is better than permission.

And I've learned after 26 years to get her onboard and excited early in the process and sometimes she then buys the parts herself for MY birthday! Sliders and lift came that way on my 100! My BD is in June... Hmm.

so you're making 26 kits, huh? :eek:

glad I'm on the cool people list on page one :hillbilly:

:edit: btw, I don't need that fitting as I've already tapped my pan, but I'll take all the laser-etched, engraved bling that I'm entitled to as a club member. Maybe I can convert it to a beer opener or something :eek:

I badly want to be on the cool people list too, but am curious if the target $3000 base kit price is still a good number....digging into my wallet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom